Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2013-2014 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you. My son joined me this week, waiting for Eminem, and asked several times " what happened to SNL ? " At 30 years of age, with me going all the way back to being 17 in 1975...sad.

MLutthans likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Wow, I strongly disagree. I thought it was a good episode. I love Kerrt and feel she was really "on" and we got a good blast of Nassim as well.

3. On top of the general lameness of the ep, I just read that Eminem was supposedly lip-synching too. Anybody catch that?

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My wife and I are having the hardest time trying to imagine just how the "Weekend Update" guy is going to host an entire show, as he is not funny, nor are his jokes that he writes, especially when he sits there and waits for the laughs to happen?

5. Chris C

Eminem and that Rick Rubin looking D.J., using a Billy Squire sample, was truly uninspired and hugely lame! Is this all that Slim Shady has for us now, because I'm feeling that a duet with Weird Al will be next?

jupiter8 and ex_mixer like this.
  6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm about halfway through the episode now. I have laughed at some of it. Agree with those who say it is far from the worst.

Lady Gaga in two weeks. They seem to be loading up on stars this year to help get the new cast "over".

7. Lonson

They have done this very sketch at least once (I think perhaps twice) before.

8. Lonson

I thought the episode was the worst of the season so far. . . Ed just didn't deliver, for me. And it's a shame as I like him. Wasn't that impressed with Monae either.

9. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Eminem's performances weren't shown on the hulu edition of SNL.. Weird.

10. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

We usually mute the "musical" guests and laugh at how stupid they look. Last night was a good example. Just a bunch of non-talents on stage pretending to play instruments.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

When will this damn "rap" fad be over?:realmad:

Zep Fan and Daniel Plainview like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It'll outlive all of us.

13. Chris C

As much as I sadly agree with your statement, "Rap" has really overstayed it's welcome and last night's Eminem performance on SNL was proof that it's all been said and now it's starting to become a joke. Kanye West and his ever tripping ego is the king of this format and he has just proven that even with his usual, "I'm gonna do it my way and F you" attitude, which the kids just love, backfired terribly on the sales of his new CD. Many won't admit it, because "Rap" does still sell, when nothing else but "Country" is doing any REAL sales, but "Rap" really has peaked.

Zep Fan and Daniel Plainview like this.
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I actually agree that Eminem is on the downhill side of his career. I wasn't very impressed with either song he performed last night. Whether that means that the genre as a whole is in decline is a different question.

15. Chris C

"Rap" is going nowhere, at least not yet and what I meant was that "it's all been said", when it comes to rap artists trying to get clever. Eminem and Dr. Dre are two of that genre's best and neither need to prove anything, but that Billy Squire sample just screamed to me, "we're out of ideas".

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I pretty much agree with you with regard to the Billy Squier sample. Not arguing with you there. But Eminem is 41 in a young man's game. Like most 40-year-old rockers, he's not matching the peaks of his youth.

Daniel Plainview and Chris C like this.
  17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That was the actual Rick Rubin.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I loved the skit with the Yemeni motivational speaker. Nasim is hilarious whenever she gets a chance to do her thing.

seed_drill likes this.
  19. Chris C

Damn, you're right. Maybe he better not give up his day job?

20. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I just watched it on Hulu, so I was spared Eminem and his perpetual scowl. Kerry Washington was very funny and the "What Does My Girl" video was the funniest thing I've seen since the Sloppy Swish.

tonyc and OldSoul like this.
  21. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Not like i was dying to see his performance I just wonder why it was cut from hulu. Licensing issues?

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The SNL music performances aren't available on Hulu or iTunes. There must be some sort of copyright/licensing issues that prevent them from being included, although I don't understand why, say, Eminem's record label would want me to pay $2.99 to download last night's SNL from iTunes and not see Eminem's performance. Isn't the whole point of a musical act being on SNL to promote their latest album and get more people to buy it?

23. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I have the paid version of hulu so I thought it was weird his performances were cut when every other episode this season has the musical guests performances included. So I wonder if it was his label specifically.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The only thing really worked last night was the hilarious short with Kerry and Jay about boyfriend/ girlfriend relations. Who dat Who dat bitch! :)

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

What...really? I guess I'm just getting too old for the show then. I thought it was absolutely terrible up through Update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.