Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

First of all, the show hasn't been funny since Chevy Chase/John Belushi/Eddie Murphy/Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman/Chris Farley/Norm Macdonald/Will Ferrell/Tina Fey/Kristen Wiig/John Milhiser left, and I can't believe anyone still watches it.

With that out of the way, here's a thread to discuss SNL's 40th season, which begins September 27.

The first two host/musical guest pairings have been announced:

9/27: Chris Pratt / Ariana Grande
    10/4: Sarah Silverman / Maroon 5

There was a bit of intrigue surrounding these announcements, because initial reports had Bill Murray hosting the premiere and Chris Pratt waiting for the third show on October 11 with musical guest Hozier. I guess we'll have to wait for an official announcement of the third show to know whether Bill Murray has been moved or dropped out entirely.

It has already been revealed that three of last year's new cast members — John Milhiser, Noël Wells, and Brooks Wheelan — won't be back, nor will Nasim Pedrad, who's leaving for the Fox sitcom Mulaney. Most or all of the remaining cast will presumably return, but Wikipedia considers only Colin Jost, Aidy Bryant, and Vanessa Bayer confirmed.

The show will have a new announcer thanks to Don Pardo's death last month, but it's not yet known who it will be.

A three-hour 40th anniversary special will air in February.

2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Both Pratt and Silverman could be great hosts, I think those are good choices.

Could care less about Colin Jost, but Aidy and Vanessa are both decent cast members. I've only seen Jost on the Weekend Update segments, and don't find him funny.

Jrr likes this.
  3. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I think each week they should bring back an old cast members and have them as an "also featuring."

A weekend update segment from Tim Kazurinsky would be great.

Also bring back Jim Henson's Muppets.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  4. Well that's possibly 0 for 3 with the musical guests - have no idea about this Hozier fellow, but at least they're giving some space to a pop/rock newcomer and not some old fart or teen hype. The first couple of hosts look promising, though.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I had to Google them. Hand me my cane!

I look forward to the special. The 25th one was a whole lot of fun.

Hoping this ship gets back on course this season. Last season was the absolute worst I've ever seen (granted, I only started watching around 1987 as a pre-teen).

Can't remember....did Sarah Silverman have any memorable characters when she was a cast member on the show? Any throwbacks they could take advantage of?

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Why should someone who thinks the show has not been funny since 1979 be the one to start the thread? Shut it down and let someone else do it.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  7. Marry a Carrot

I don't think so. She didn't get a lot of screen time.

I may have been joking. (But you can't be sure because I'm almost as unfunny as SNL since Gail Matthius left.)

We can probably consider Bobby Moynihan confirmed as returning, since he tweeted he's excited to work with Pratt and Silverman.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Dan C and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Michael Che will be co-hosting WU with Colin and the 10 PM repeats will show OLD Emmy-nominated episodes. I'm officially excited for SNL, again.

anthontherun likes this.
  9. OldSoul

10. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I'm surprised it took so long for Sarah Silverman to host.

11. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I actually enjoyed a lot of last years shows. Still funny to me........

CBC likes this.
  12. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I'll take your Gail Matthius reference and raise you a Robin Duke one.

Dan C and krock2009 like this.
  13. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Yeah, both of these tidbits (especially Che coming in) are really encouraging. I kind of wish Che were doing Update on his own, but I'm just glad it frees up Cecily to do the Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party.

And on another, personal encouraging note--it's been my dream since I was 10 years old to be a writer for SNL, and I finally signed up to take sketch writing and improv classes (they both start next week). Yesterday I found out that an alumnus from the place I'll be taking the improv class at just got hired as a writer for SNL. I'd say that's a pretty awesome omen! :)

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Oh no! Her brother will be out of the Big Brother house by then.

zebop likes this.
  15. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I can't believe that Jost will still be doing Weekend Update while Cecily Strong is out. What the hell?

jdrueke likes this.
  16. OldSoul

Head writer priveleges. Haha
    But idk, apparently, Cecily asked yo leave Update. I'm assuming some the the multitude of pairings they tested didn't include Colin, too, so maybe he's improved.

17. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think the problem is that they didn't have great chemistry and Strong was stronger in the sketches.

18. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Strong is talented. I doubt he could have chemistry with anyone.

zebop likes this.
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

They need Strong in sketches as half the cast is gone and she right there with McKinnon as the best female lead they have right now. If I were in her shoes I would pick the sketches too.

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Sarah Silverman was in the SNL cast for the 1993-1994 season. She was a writer and featured player.

21. Marry a Carrot

22. She was barely during her season there and didn't enjoy it. I'm surprised she's going back.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Someone who has this much trouble identifying a joke probably shouldn't be making the calls in a comedy thread. :angel:

Tex_Writer, Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  24. misko

misko Forum Resident

Has SNL been having trouble getting hosts? Seems last season a few people hosted more than one show.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The last few seasons have really sucked because they insist on lampooning a popular culture I am completely out of touch with. Fortunately, they've moved the start time so late that I can no longer stay up to watch it.

jonathan_s and Daniel Plainview like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.