Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I don't see any reason for her to throw Rob under the bus. She could have just focused on Jan. It wasn't Rob's fault her carrer didn't take off. I lost a little respect for Tina Fay for that comment. And I really don't think she has been very funny in the films she has appeared in since leaving SNL.

Jerry Horne and rburly like this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't see any reason for her to bring up Rob Schneider either. What was that about? Does she have some personal beef with him? Tina's certainly a media darling, but her last movie (Admission) was crap and no better than a Rob Schneider movie.

4. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Oh god, somebody please bring back Norm McDonald!
    That man ruled Weekend Update.

TheLazenby likes this.
  5. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Just tuned in for tonight's show. The Insufferable Jim Carry hosting. Don't know how long ill last.

darkmass likes this.
  6. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Very funny tonight.

7. Kind of a mixed bag overall - not as good as last week, but not bad. I laughed a few times. Crap musical guest, though. I think the producers told their assistants to "get Iggy on", and the assistants messed up.

krock2009 likes this.
  8. agentalbert

The two best bits all night were the recurring Lincoln commercials and Vanessa Bayer's romantic comedy reviewer that appeared on WU. Her segment with Michael was great. So was Drunk Uncle.

I though Carrey's monologue/musical number was pretty worthless. The other bits were okay, but not great. The Carrey family reunion just made me think how much better the Walken Family Dinner sketch was. I did get a few chuckles out of the Halloween costume sketch.

Izzy Azalea looks great with the curly hair, she should keep it.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

SNL continues to be awesome!

I'm talking about the repeats at 10 pm ;)

10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I almost thought he was channeling Andy Kaufman with the opening monologue.

11. agentalbert

I only caught the tail end of that, but Aerosmith sounded great doing "Monkey On My Back". I can't remember the last time there was a rock act tearing it up like that on SNL. Certainly not lately.

12. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

I thought last night's show was consistently funny from beginning to end. Very strong writing. The entire cast really brought it and Jim Carrey was terrific. Too bad the studio audience seemed so lifeless.

Dan C likes this.
  13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I agree that the best thing was the McConaughey Lincoln commercial satire. Other than that, I thought the political satire was surprisingly way off and it was mostly a big yawn. A big letdown, I thought, from the previous live show.

Zep Fan, Jerry Horne and Ed Hughes like this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought there were a lot of laughs after the opening and monologue. Lincoln, family reunion, Secret Billionaire, etc. Weekend Update is actually improving, too. The Vanessa/Michael bit was real good, Drunk Uncle seemed better written than usual and Colin is slowly learning how to deliver a joke.

If the Chris Rock show makes it 3 for 3, then this new cast might actually start to gain momentum.

Dan C likes this.
  15. agentalbert

I forgot about Secret Billionaire, that was pretty funny. Some of Jim Carrey's stories as the "senior member of the Illuminati" or whatever he was were great.

carrick doone and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

This was the sort of stuff Jim was doing in Canada before he got famous and Andy was still (officially) alive. He used to go on Global news at noon and do various impressions. There's just a bigger budget now...

17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I always admired the way he'd lob a complete bomb of a joke that got no laughs. For some reason he seemed to revel in it almost like a dare and it used to crack me up

Except for his odd habit of live tweeting sport events he has moments of depth on his Twitter feed which I find suprising and cool

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It was a really funny show, my wife and I laughed hard several times. The only bomb IMHO was the zombie sketch. The rest was consistent and very good.

This was also the first Weekend Update that really seemed to click. Strong start to finish, they both seem comfortable and are finding a groove. The chemistry between them is still a bit stiff though. They just don't play off each other like past teams have been able to. Hopefully they're working on that, or perhaps this is just how it's going to be. If anything though this proved that they are both able to be very funny, at least individually.

We were both doing a total 'wtf' during the musical act. Usually we fast forward through acts we obviously aren't going to enjoy, but we watched the first performance out of pure amazement. I kept thinking that this is what parents must've felt like while watching the Ed Sullivan show with their kids. I felt old.

dan c

Zep Fan and stereoptic like this.
  19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I was just in total awe at the insanely weird stuff they wrote for Jim's character to say. Where the hell did that come from! Solid, funny stuff. The younger writers and actors seem to thrive with clever, weird and conceptual as opposed to straight political humor.

The show's focus seems to be shifting away from current events. That might not be a terrible thing though. The show wasn't always as heavily political in its past as it has been the last 15-20 years.

dan c

20. misko

misko Forum Resident

I didn't get the musical act at all. If she was the star attraction , why was there need for other performers sharing the stage who were the ones actually singing? I guess the dancing was alright. I just don't know what kind of act Iggy would be if she was alone on stage. It amazes me how one can be a huge musical star and have no musical ability, unless I'm missing something here.

21. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

She's a rapper, not a singer.

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I feel like I've saw Carrey do the Elvis pecan pie thing a few years ago?

23. misko

misko Forum Resident

She was funnier than most of the sketches.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yes...you're missing something. Black Widow was with Rita Ora (the one singing- Iggy was rapping) because that's how the song was on the album...it was always a duet so it made sense to have her there.

25. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I thought that season with Randy Quaid and Robert Downey Jr. was quite a sagger as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.