Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

On stage - AND on SNL, until the audience booed him off! :p

OldSoul likes this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

If that's the point of SNL then they shouldn't be having 60-year-old geezers as musical guests.

And for that matter they shouldn't be having the likes of Chris Rock as host, either. Rock was a cast member TWENTY-FOUR YEARS AGO!!! He's almost 50-years old and he hasn't been relevant to twentysomethings for at least 5 years.

rburly likes this.
  3. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The show was ok. I like some of it and some of the players. The only thing I see that's missing is a Phil Hartman character, he could play with everyone. Oddly enough one of my favorite sketches of his was on the Martin Lawrence show where Martin and Phil played criminals talking to the camera. Hilarious.

Other than that, I like a lot of it as it is, the group is better than it was last year.

4. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

As a fan of both Chris Rock and Prince, I felt the show was just so-so.
    The sketches were on the weaker side. After the monologue, Chris didn't seem all that into it.
    Prince had too much going on. He could have done one new tune and one old deep cut. That would have pleased a larger audience.

rburly likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, that probably pretty much explains it in a nutsell. Us older folks still hang in there...I don't know why, and then wonder why we don't like it. Maybe you're right...the show isn't intended for us and I doubt many people under 27 even read these posts! Which is also why I like the first few seasons of the Simpsons more than the newer ones....I simply don't get the humor anymore. Doesn't mean it isn't a good show and perhaps it really is time for us to just stop tuning in. It does beg one question though...if that is the case, and the 17 year old a few posts back didn't know who Prince was, then why was Prince on the show? Kind of a mixed message.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Exactly!

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Goodbye SNL. I'll always have the older, funnier ones.

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Throwing in the towel, huh?

9. That's a cop-out. If you read the SNL page on Facebook or the show recaps, you'll see that the supposed target demographic is mostly saying the same things us over-30 types are.

Zep Fan likes this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

And they've said the same thing every yr since Chevy left. Same as it ever was

Mister Charlie and Tex_Writer like this.
  11. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Yep. The show just seems aimed at 14 year-olds.

Zep Fan likes this.
  12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I was telling my son (he's 25) about the past show with Chris Rock & Prince, in a deapan straight face he says what year is it? Lol!

zebop likes this.
  13. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Although judging by the quality of his monologue, he's fallen as far as the show has.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I haven't watched the show at all this season and the world hasn't stopped turning. I just can't stay up that late anymore.

I recently caught some clips on the Hulu or the Yahoo or whatever. Drunk Uncle, Jim Carrey family reunion, some naked body suit thing that was parodying something I wasn't familiar with. Seemed OK. I guess I'll continue to catch fragments of the show in this manner.

Man, I wish they'd issue the 87-92 years on DVD. Watching that old Alec Baldwin show a few weeks back really got me nostalgic.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'd say the last episode had very little that seemed aimed at 14 year olds.

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Not one memorable song or hook in Prince's performance. Not. One.

17. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Chris Rock has done a hell of lot since he left SNL in 1993. HBO specials, HBO show, movies. He's not Rob Schneider you know.

heatherly likes this.
  18. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Chris Rock's opening monologue only made me miss his stand up career even more. Some daring, smart and funny stuff there. Hope there's one more HBO special for him down the road....

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

could this ever work..instead of having a set cast for the season, would they ever consider having a "all star" cast of familiar faces rotating each week based on schedule availability?

20. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Yes, Chris Rock has been prolific and successful since 1993.

He's also irrelevant and virtually unknown to many people under the age of 27.

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Another terrible episode for me. The monologue was the best part. It made me uncomfortable but that's one of the reasons I like Chris.

dlokazip and zebop like this.
  22. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I'm 27, thank God I didn't miss out, Chris is one of the best stand ups out there. Living Legend at this point, IMO.

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Not a good episode. Chris Rock's acting is stiff! His monologue was uncomfortable and not very funny. I do have to give the writers credit for doing different things. The last skit with Chris and the new woman that just joined the cast (too lazy to look up her name) was reminiscent of something the original SNL would do.

It seems like the days of having a handful of game shows/talk shows in each episode is over is really refreshing. Seriously how many times was Bill Hader a game or talk show host??

zebop and Mister Charlie like this.
  24. I think Chris Rock's acting was stiff because he seems to have had his face frozen in time. I'm not sure he can emote anymore.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

People who still have lives (i.e., young, single people) aren't home on Saturday nights. Sure, there's TIVO, but advertisers hate people who record and fast forward through commercials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.