Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's never a good sign when I realize I've gotten too old to stay apprised of current pop culture. :winkgrin:

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

You know what? I think Ill join you. Im 38, hate modern culture and get tired at 10. Why am I still tuning in?

Jerry Horne likes this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

It's all yours. Enjoy the hilarity and great music ;)

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Bye SNL. You had a great run for the first five years plus the late 80's into the early 90's.

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I liked a lot of it and actually laughed, this is SNL so that's rare.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I haven't watched SNL regularly since Eddie Murphy left. :D

I'll tune in occasionally (watch on youtube the next morning) when the host peaks my interest, but I would say on average I might see part of about 2 episodes per season.

7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I larfed out loud quite a few times. Admittedly I have a sophomoric sense of humor. Having had kids into HeMan and such I recognized the characters. Tarran is good, that new kid on the news was really good (the one talking about the million dollars).

Basically it's time for this show to stop pandering to baby boomers and start creating their own voice in humor, targeting younger folks. As they do it will go over a lot of our heads, and maybe age has finally removed us from a lifetime of watching it.

Still, I have enough knowledge about current culture (which, as we know, is declining) so I got a lot fof the humor others might not have. And perhaps those funny herbal jazz cigarettes had something to do with it.

Shaky as they all were last night (nerves) I think much of this cast will settle in better this year, and so long as they can be funny, I'll keep watching. Funny is a different thing to different people so YMMV has never been more apt than here.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

eh, I chuckled at it. its just a joke, not a cultural statement.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Who is Arianna Grande? :crazy:

10. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I thought Arianna Grande was a drink at Starbucks.

OK I listened to her with open ears but her voice was so feather-light that it was almost completely lost when the music got louder. She'll have her 15 minutes but will be quickly forgotten when the next one comes along.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yep. I noticed that NBC (at least my affiliate) ran an old episode of SNL with Richard Pryor hosting. Chevy Chase was on it, so it, so that was season 1, right? Anyway, NBC should continue to do this each week, and the elderly can just watch that, pretend its the new SNL, and go to bed aftewwards, skipping the actual new episode and remaining blissfully ignorant of the "unknown" host, regardless of the fact that he was the star of the biggest grossing movie of 2014 so far.

littleugly, Dan C and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

What is with the "I don't know who the host is" posts? He is the star of the most popular movie of the summer.

I didn't know who the musical guest was :)

Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  13. zebop

To be honest, I'm glad the 2000's era is finally ending. Those casts were never really as funny as the ones from 95- on, you know Cheri Oteri, Will Ferrell, etc. Sadly beside the self-congratulations--and laughing at themselves, those shows weren't glory days. The biggest regret is that lots of cast members were sent packing and were underutilized because Kristen Wiig was used so much. And we all know Fred Armisen stayed years too long.

I think that's why Cecily Strong and Colin Jost were doomed. Their pairing seemed reductive. As a fan, I like weird and irreverent stuff like "Roommates" so I want to see more things like that. And since it wasn't an Andy Samberg short, no one blew up in the end...

14. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I thought the show was above average but not fantastic. I did crack up pretty often throughout the show. My also sophomoric sense of humor veers towards liking stuff like Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Archer, Mr. Show and Tim and Eric so I wasn't too offended by the "would you..." sketch. Didn't think too much of Ariana Grande. She sure looks like her brother.
    Chris Pratt, the host, was also the voice of the hero of The Lego Movie. A few people may have caught that little flick.

15. zebop

I don't know how anyone would get offended by the "Would you?" skit. This is the same show that showed that horrific Michael Jackson TV Funhouse cartoon, the Vomitorium skit and of course showed Canteen Boy being molested by his scoutmaster.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think perhaps the way to best listen to Ariana Grande is with open eyes.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The girl that had the #1 album the week her new album was released. Most people aware of pop culture knows who she is (regardless of whether they like her or not). I guess the question they'd all ask is.....Who Is Evan L?

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Damned if I know!

19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

If you don't know who Chris Pratt or Ariana Grande are, you're no longer the show's target audience. SNL does occasionally have lesser known musical guests, but Ariana Grande is not one of them.
    They are airing an old episode in primetime each week. It's supposed to be one episode from each season, but they're not going in order. Next week is Christopher Walken / Christina Aguilera from 2000, the "more cowbell" episode.

20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

You would think that they would have done a lot better for a premiere episode. They had a long time to prep and this is the best that they could come up with? Every year I say that I might stop watching but I never do. I hope that there is a bit more inspiration in next week's episode, but they have less time to get that one prepared instead of months for the first one. Oh well, it is just TV...

21. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

They didn't have "months" to prep for anything. Think of it like school, they had summer break, they came back Monday, and what we got last night was the result of a week's worth of work.
    I don't understand why people think they work over their breaks, no show does, really. Even sitcoms and dramas get breaks.

Marry a Carrot likes this.
  22. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

She's nice to look at, that's about it really:

[​IMG]

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was kidding, I know who she is!

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I know, was just filling in the usual "Thread is ussless without pictures" quota :D

Tex_Writer likes this.
  25. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Writers are usually thinking of ideas even when they are not working. I know that they do get breaks. I guess that the SNL writers do not think of anything pertaining to their job and are able to turn that part of their brain off during breaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.