Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Colin is very reductive, the same old crap. I don't know how or why Lorne Michaels got stuck on this "type." And I really don't know how Beck Bennett didn't get the gig.

2. 15 minutes in, and the Bill Hader episode is already funnier than last week's episode in full. "I know you're smooth down there..."

3. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

next week dance music from spleen.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

My rating:
    1. Sarah Silverman
    2. Bill Hader
    3. Chris Pratt

It was a pretty good episode. Loved WU get again, but was sad to not see another banter between Colin and Michael. Stefon was hilarious. The Jan Hooks tribute was nice. Still sad that she passed...
    The cold open was just okay, in my opinion. The monologue wasn't horrible, but not great. The Hollywood Game Night sketch annoyed me with its disregard for how the game is actually played (I know...), Jay didn't do a good Freeman impression, and the cue cards were way to visible in the TV screen. They couldn't have used a TV with a matte screen? Jeez
    That charity commercial was freaking hilarious. A+ I almost expected them to actually be in America somewhere, but maybe that would've gone too far....
    Inside SoCal...definitely an A. Kyle and Beck need their own show, though, so they can truly be respected. The puppet sketch was just alright. Lastly, that Cat in the Hat sketch was very funny.

Much better than the premiere, but last week's was better all around.

rburly likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Aside from the lame cold open, I thought pretty much everything clicked really nicely tonight, quite probably their best episodes in recent memory. And that included a very entertaining Weekend Update (even before Stefon come on)-- it was the first time I've laughed out loud since the anchor change when Che went off with his bit on gay marriage. Even the music act was surprisingly good (he was new to me, and I think I'll be checking him out further).

Sure, bringing back old cast members is stacking the deck, but it doesn't always work out this well (last season's Tina Fey and Andy Samberg shows weren't so hot, as I recall).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  6. I thought the cold open was OK, even if just to see Bobby Moynihan do those spaz moves in Korean dictator drag. :)

7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I thought a really great show. Very happy to see the return of Bill's puppet character. Hader was on Howard Stern last week and Howard was telling Bill that the 1st puppet character/sketch was possibly his favorite SNL skit of all-time.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Interesting to compare the 1990 episode shown earlier to today's SNL:
    No monologue musical number, no recurring sketches (unless you count George Bush; "Middle-Aged Man" was the first appearance), only "celebrity" impressions were Al Goldstein & Bill Moyers

Jerry Horne likes this.
  9. OldSoul

...people weren't blatantly staring at cue cards...

Jerry Horne likes this.
  10. OldSoul

Even lower ratings than last week. Possibly the lowest rated episode ever. If people didn't tune in for Bill, ratings are gonna be ugly by the end of the season.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

... And a whole sketch about Greta Garbo.

12. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

http://hozier.com/

Cluttered web site
    He is playing a Presbyterian Church (?) in LA and tickets were through Ticketmaster - Sold Out.
    Also never heard of him.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

this was pretty good ,makes you forget last weeks mess

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The Presbyterians always book the best acts.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Beck Bennett does a rather impressive Nick Offerman. Not sure I can recall him doing many impressions before (I sure there must have been a few, but they're not coming to mind).

16. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I forgot about that one, but none of them could be said to be pandering to the audience

stereoptic likes this.
  17. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Yeah, best episode this year for sure. Found amusement in each segment (I for one did like Moynihan's Kim) and much of it was larf out loud. Not perfect, Che is at least settling in a bit more, and Colin was less smirking.

Really nice Jan Hooks bit to pull out, as well.

18. :agree: :thumbsup: A very funny episode. The Nick Offerman impersonation was spot on. Best Weeeknd Update of the season. Bill Hader as Stephan kept cracking up when mentioning forrmer MTV host Dan Cotese. Also loved the "I tip 65%...of the time." :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I can watch Kristin Wiig play Kathie Lee all day. I know it's a one-note impression over and over again but so is Kathie Lee! It's perfect!

kouzie, DeeThomaz and Dan C like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought last week's episode was better. Certainly a better monologue. I know others love it, but I find Stephon's inability to even speak his lines quite annoying. Laughing is for the audience, not the performers. Bill's puppeteer was funny. And I liked some of the ways veteran reporter Herb Welch was needling Tarran's achorman in that sketch, though I wish they didn't all end exactly the same. Cecily did a good Sofia Vergara.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The Alec Baldwin / Jan Hooks diner sketch was so so much better than anything I've seen on the show in recent memory. Snappy dialog delivered well. (Vs stilted dialog delivered haltingly and without eye contact.)

And the sets in the show form 1990 seemed much more detailed and better than this years.

OldSoul and Jerry Horne like this.
  22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

krock2009 and Jerry Horne like this.
  23. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Not to mention, the musical guest's sound was mixed better.

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah, antique 480-line NTCS will make a lot of things look 'better'. Let's go back! :rolleyes:

Snark aside, Jan Hooks was absolutely one of SNL's greats. I'm so saddened by her passing. Lovely tribute to by airing that poignant clip with her and Hartman.

dan c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.