Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2015-2016 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

My wife thought the second song was David Bowie's Fame.

jerol

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Funny..said the same thing when I first heard the rift..

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I almost never like the music acts and they mix the vocals so low I can't even hear so I just skip them and go right to Update. Someone said this was just an okay show, another said they only liked the last skit. Makes me think I watched a different episode all together. It has been a long, long time since I laughed this hard and consistently on an SNL show. Certainly not in the last couple years. The diverse writing style was amazing. A lot of originality displayed from skit to skit. And Update...hysterical. And I hated both those guys last season...they sure pulled it out. The middle finger Kit Kat bar? The way they replayed Carson's missed entrance cue. Suggesting if Obama wanted headlines regarding Hollywood making movies about Muslims, he should have said that in a synagogue instead....geez, just a lot of funny stuff imo. Loved Vanessa Bayer's Tostinos (or whatever those snacks are called) commercial....very, very original and funny! And the learning skit where they learn to rhyme a lyric....very funny to me when they couldn't figure out the lyric. I loved almost every skit. Even the titanic skit, which wasn't my thing, was at least very original. No filler that I could see.

davenav, tonyc, Deano6 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Without a doubt!

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It was an automatic classic to me (without the band 1975). I was going to write even higher praise, but the "this is the show to beat this season" felt comfortable to me. They hit on all cylinders and Larry David had to have helped with the writing IMO for the show to be that consistently funny.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Wow, I don't know what to say. I really found this episode just okay and some of the sketches were pretty lame to me. Guess I'm the odd man out.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  7. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Seems their lead vocalist thought so too, though to me he was just annoying. Trying a bit too hard...

8. Well, I must be just as odd. I hadn't watched SNL in years, and it'll probably be more years before I watch it again. LD was funny, but the SNL cast, I'm sorry, but they seem amateurish to me.

Zep Fan likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Funny....I bought 1975's last album for a song the radio was playing and liked the song, but not really the album. As I said, I skipped that segment completely like I usually do. Sounds like that was a good thing! Don't understand why a few performers feel they need to act like that while doing their art.

I was astounded that they could create all that in one episode! You are so right....that will be the one to beat. But, as I have always said, and comments here prove me out, at 54 I am not their target market, comedy is so subjective, and others here disagree that it was a good episode. What a difficult job being a writer on SNL must be. I was thinking as the show was winding down how proud Lorne must have been while watching his team. And I couldn't agree more about Larry. He struck a perfect chord and was just the right balance for the other performers, imo. Loved him throughout, and he was perfect when trying to guess the next lyric during that music skit.

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Nope. Jay Pharaoh. I thought it was pretty obvious.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm with the great episode crowd. It probably helped that I found the few previous ones off after a good start to the season. But, it certainly helps that I just love Larry David. If he would do stand up on tour I would buy front row. The monologue was evidence of how good he would be. And by the time Cecily starting doing Suzie Essman I almost had tears in my eyes. "Bern Your Enthusiasm" was one of the funniest sketches in show history. Agree with Jrr about the rest of the show.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Welcome to the club....usually it's me feeling that way when I read about other episodes being awesome when I didn't even crack a smile. Glad there is fresh reason for me to keep tuning in. I do like the ensemble...it is the writing that really makes it perform all over the map.

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I thought the digital short Curb Your Enthusiasm parody was a classic. Loved seeing Bernie side by side with Larry David also. But the band was unwatchable/unlistenable and the rest of the show was only OK. Better than most but the bar isn't very high.

14. OldSoul

Now THIS was a good episode. (Kanye's first song was horrible, though.)

15. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Very unfunny episode.

16. Hymie the Robot

The Beyonce is black short was funny. Not much else however.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  17. Yep, a real comedown after last week. The Beyonce segment was notably terrible, especially given how much they must've spent on it. The pick-up artist and crass bus passenger sketches were funny enough though, as they gave McCarthy some scope to get folks uncomfortable. Weekend Update and the Kyle Mooney bit were OK.

Oh, and Kanye was kinda hilarious. Until about halfway though the first performance I figured it had to be some kind of skit.

18. Hymie the Robot

Couldn't disagree more with you. Every McCarthy sketch was ridiculously unfunny and the Weekend Update was the all time worse ever. I didn't bother with the Kanye "performance"...

19. OldSoul

So much vile trash in this thread, lately. The report button has become a close friend.

Jerry likes this.
  20. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

The episode was ok, the music booker *really* needs to do better though...

Lonson likes this.
  21. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The Rachel from Friends impersonation during Weekend Update was pretty spot on.

keef00, CBC and Lonson like this.
  22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I love SNL so I avoid this thread as often as possible. :wantsome:

But, this week was a rarity - a less-than-stellar episode, so I'm going to weigh in - but, sorry grumpy old men - you won't find a negative I-didn't-get-it-therefore-it-wasn't-funny review (which makes up most of this thread, it seems).

As I say, it was a bit disappointing, but considering the high quality of the season, and a cast that is among the best ever, it still delivered some strong laughs. The Beyoncé sketch was the best, and Watching Terminator skit was hilarious.

Leslie Jones is a delight in everything she does, but her Valentine message was one for the ages.

Tostitos ad was a hoot!

IMO the only really bad moments were the Kanye West songs, but he was great in the Topping Kanye sketch.

23. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Do you really think the writing is so clever that it's going over people's heads? That's a great spin. You should work in PR. :righton:

I think this season has been hit or miss, which pretty much describes SNL at any given time, but I thought this episode was weak, especially compared to last week's with Larry David.

24. Hymie the Robot

The Leslie Jones bit on weekend update was bad. And it seemed like it would never end.

I am with you on the Beyonce short being very funny especially considering all the uproar about her appearance that is still getting publicity.

To come here and say that the skits are over the heads of the readers on this forum is hilarious, much more than the majority of the skits over the last many years.

rburly likes this.
  25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Watching Kanye all I could think was "well this it -- I'm old and I don't get it." Not just "I don't like it" but "I can't even understand it."

Of course I probably said that the last three times he was on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.