Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2015-2016 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

That entire season was a bust. Oddly enough, he was promoting both "Mad About You", and the movie "Bye Bye Love", the latter co-starred Janeane Garofalo, who bailed the previous week due to the horrible writing.

zebop likes this.
  2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yes, that season was dreadful, seeing Michael McKean as Clinton was just too much...

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That alien sketch was the creepiest SNL sketch I can remember.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I did laugh hard at the electric car commercial even though I saw the thousands of AA batteries coming a million miles away. But a pretty bad episode, and I agree with the above poster on the astoundingly bad alien segment. You have to wonder what they are thinking sometimes during rehearsal.

5. OldSoul

Hey, I didn't say it was bad, just creepy. :p I liked the episode. I don't remember being outright bored by any sketches.

Jrr likes this.
  6. The writers seem pretty uninspired over the last few episodes, and are going for a lot of high-concept bits that just don't work.

The only thing I laughed at was the Charles Barkley/Shaquille O'Neill bit on "Weekend Update". Although I'm not sure I totally got the premise - is Shaq losing his marbles or something?

Jrr likes this.
  7. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

The sketch that I happened upon which I thought was so horrible was the 50s movie parody where the actress couldn't remember her lines. That sketch doesn't even seem to be posted on SNL's youtube channel.
    I watched the alien sketch and did laugh out loud, I confess. It's good to know that they can still manage one or two per episode.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

they definitely didn't give Julia much to work with. Game show host, elaine, I barely remember the skits. I did like the AA car too, that was definitely the best of the night. Even the weekend update stuff fell flat. For such a bizarre election year, they just don't have the sharp wit of past election years.

Zep Fan, Jrr and chacha like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Different writers.

10. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I liked the Heroin AM commercial.

Hymie the Robot, Jrr, LSP2003 and 2 others like this.
  11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Far from the best of the season but much better than last week.

12. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

That was another hard one to get through. I wonder if it will ever go to a 60 minute format the way that it is going.

13. OldSoul

Ok, I re-watched it. It was bad.

Jrr likes this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree.

Jrr likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A good point I guess....I wasn't bored either (though having the Tivo fast forward close at hand helps) so maybe not terrible, but it wasn't really very fun to watch. I think the cast, however, is making the best of it which probably keeps it from being completely boring. But I still say that alien sketch was as bad as it gets!

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked the alien sketch. They didn't know how to end it, but I liked Kate and Julia with their creepy voices and contacts. The pool boy sketch was kinda funny too. And I'm a week late, but I really like Kyle's bad comic "Bruce Chandling" that appears from time to time during WU. The audience dutifully laughs at the punchline of every lame joke whichever old lady Kate is playing tells, but Kyle has to go out there and do a bit that mostly elicits confused responses from the audience, which I think is probably tougher.

kevywevy likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ya, the pool skit was okay...forgot about that one. Looks like there is an even divide on the alien sketch. So, that's good...just means it wasn't my thing but was a good sketch.

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I hope not. You wouldn't get two songs from the musical artist for one. An hour is probably cold open, monologue, skit, song, news, second song, the end. Even the best seasons best shows have weak skits, plus the wierd stuff they try out near the end of the show. What else is on Saturday nights to make room for?

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree. It won't happen but if anything they should consider going to two hours. They could develop some of the skits that are sometimes rushed a little more. They could start with the politics and the more traditional skits and then as the show goes later shift to the more out there skits. Plus, it would give them time to air the one or two skits that do not make the air that are sometimes better than some that do. Or if the musical guest is strong give them a third song.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yikes. They have serious trouble filling 90 with quality.

21. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Which, most of the time, would not be a problem for me

22. That and her own horrible attitude. "Some people, their whole lives, are just injustice collectors. They’re going to find new injustices every day. That’s what they do, and that’s what they are." Lorne Michaels, referring to Garofalo.

krock2009 and Dudley Morris like this.
  23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It's not that preposterous of an idea. The show is already 94 minutes so it would be adding about two skits and a musical number. Or add one more skit, invite a young stand up to do a few minutes and a musical number. And the full credits could play more than once a season.

As guidedbyvoices said "What else is on Saturday nights to make room for?" More time might actually allow the whole staff to flourish.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Tonight's scheduled repeat has been changed to a tribute to Prince.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.