Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The KellyAnne bit was creepy good.
    As was Black History Chocolates.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    zebop, Joey The Lemur, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Plus Phil Hartman as Sinatra..remember this as it were yesterday..the late 80s cast will forever be my favorite..

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I really wanted it to be off the wall front to back hilarious but it was just ok to me. Some chuckles here and there. Always great to see Tracy Morgan though.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, back in the good old days they knew better than to joke about politics or have political figures host the show...

[​IMG]

5. modrevolve

Was hoping Jay Pharaoh would show up as Jay-Z..Miss that guy on SNL.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Really good episode! I really like this cast, and for the first time in ages I enjoyed the music act. I even pre-ordered his upcoming album. Does anyone know if the songs he played are on a previously released album or are they from the upcoming one?

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I remember that one, too. I wish I had thought to record it.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think there's a difference between joking about politics, which the show has always done, and having politicians appear on the show. I'm not a fan at all of the latter. I think there should be some distance between the show/cast and the people they spoof. When they have politicians on to host or just make an appearance to show how cool they are with it all, I think its lame.

9. modrevolve

Bob Dole appearing after the election was pretty hilarious and being a good sport on his end.

Watch Norm Macdonald Talks to Bob Dole from Saturday Night Live on NBC.com

The Hud likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, he was a good sport and while I liked Norm doing Dole (Bob Dole on MTV's "The Real World" was great), I didn't think the two of them together was that funny.

I'm sure there are some exceptions. I can't recall the name, but the nearly blind NYC Mayor Fred Armisen used to play was a favorite of mine. And I remember the real guy showed up eventually. It might have been okay, I can't remember. Still, in general I wish they would avoid having politicians (especially ones currently running for something) on.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

We have a winner.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, the photo I posted was from the season 1 episode that was hosted by President Ford's press secretary Ron Nessen. On that same episode, Ford himself appeared in a taped segment to say the "Live from New York" tag. So there's been precedent for that sort of thing from the very beginning. And then there was the 1984 episode which Jesse Jackson hosted. It's true that the frequency of cameos by political figures has increased over the years, but it's not a new idea.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

:agree:

Nope. I just wish it had been discarded decades ago.

14. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm having a flashback of Nixon saying "Sock It To Me?' on Laugh-In now.

mooseman likes this.
  16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

But I liked when Senator Paul Simon showed up next to singer Paul Simon. All it has to be is funny and show that the politician is willing to be laughed at and I'm okay with it.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't like Alec Baldwin playing trump. His portrayal is too off. It's about the facial gestures.

zebop and rburly like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

and Mick Jagger as Keef..................I almost fell off the chair

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm with you. I find his facial expression cartoonish and annoying. His skits are funny sometimes, but more about the writing than his performance IMO.

Melissa McCarthy, on the other hand, has me in stitches even when the jokes themselves are weak. I was glad to see her back again last Saturday. I guess it might get old if she does it as often as Baldwin has though.

20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

...which had one of my all-time favorite sketches: the game show "The Question Is Moot"

21. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Pinknik likes this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I thought the meanest SNL ever got in terms of politics was when they had a little kid in a suit to portray Dan Quayle. :laugh:

OldSoul and longdist01 like this.
  23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The next live episode is March 4 with host Octavia Spencer. The musical guest has not yet been announced.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Remember when I said this? It still applies. Numerous over the line posts (and some benign responses to them) have been deleted.

Peter_R, OldSoul, rburly and 2 others like this.
  25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Wait...are you saying that actually wasn't Danforth?

JerolW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.