Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:shrug:

2. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Yeah, people do seem to forget even the "classic years" had bad episodes.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't watched it in years. I guess I should give it a try. Usually doing other things when it comes on.

4. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Other than the always excellent Weekend Update, this has to be one of the worst episodes ever. Viola seemed to be reading her lines for the first time and I can't believe anyone would find the musical guest, Father John Misty (aka J. Tillman) entertaining or musical. They missed plenty of good opportunities to satirize the week's events and every skit was worse than the last one and just seemed to go nowhere. Too bad. Guess I'll have to get my John Oliver fix instead.

5. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I enjoyed the impression skit, especially the Owen Wilson.

Father John Misty's 2nd performance was excellent.

kevywevy and wayneklein like this.
  6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yeah, but it was pretty obvious that it was specifically written to show off the mimicking abilities of Melissa and Alex.

I wouldn't say it was the worst show, but lots of swings-and-misses.

Weekend Update was good and the random Kellyanne appearances were rather Pythonesque, but this episode isn't going into the time capsule.

7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

You mean Octavia???

I liked the impressions skit when reading lines for the rip-off Zootopia movie.

Also, liked the Spencer's Gifts skit featuring Octavia Spencer as the owner. LOL

Forrest Gump spoof with Jeff Sessions (played by Kate McKinnon) was funny also.

Musical guest I never heard of before and wasn't impressed.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

That was a really awful episode. They had no idea what to do with Octavia. And something was off on father John's first song. I'm a big fan of his first two albums, but he was off, the mix was really bad, guitar phasing in and out. Second song was much better

wayneklein likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Watching show now. Never seen him before. He's singing pretty sharp on the first tune. Hopefully second one is better.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Couldn't finish the Octavia show. What a weak episode.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Very solid until the last two sketches. Loved Jeff Sessions!!! And the Kellyanne interstitials had me in stitches.

Didn't love the musical guest, but his band was awesome.

Overall, a solid B

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You've got to be kidding. Viola????

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Laura Parsons is prolly my favorite thing Vanessa has ever done..cracks me up every time.

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

At 23, I was probably the perfect age for the debut of SNL.

Back in Sep of 75, we did a live show in San Diego with Linda Rondstadt doing a segment that was uplinked via satellite for Saturday Night Live, but not the SNL that we all know. This was for Howard Cosell's short lived SNL show which ran a few weeks before the NBC SNL debut. The interesting part was that once they announced that we were going live to SNL the crowd erupted in loud boos, obviously meant for Howard. I've seen several clips of those segments and none of that was heard.

I don't remember anything specific about watching the first NBC SNL episode, but I'll never forget the second one. This was the night of my first ever show with Seals & Crofts in Provo Utah, and I ended up watching the show in Jeff Porcaro's hotel room.

I guess my preference was for the original cast but those shows look so primitive now. I still watch it much of the time. Even when the show is lame, which is often, I often discover new musical acts there. In fact, my dead period for music was from 1986-1981 and was abruptly ended when I saw Nirvana on SNL.

ex_mixer likes this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

OMG. I liked the Kellyann cameos and the impressions, that's it.

16. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. I called the first performance "interesting" to my wife. She asked what I meant and I said that it wasn't him at his best. The second song was really good.

17. I kind of like the charm of those early episodes. Things seemed a lot more frantic because when a sketch didn't work, one of the original cast would try to save it in some fashion.

Doug Sclar likes this.
  18. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

Sketches not great and Octavia's teleprompter work was awful. Kate McKinnon was great as Jeff Sessions and Kellyanne.
    The impressions skit was good with under-utilized Melissa Villasenor carrying the sketches.

seed_drill and Hightops like this.
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

That Father Misty guy was terrible. It must've been some record company favor.

20. Yeah...I doubt it. He's well liked, has a following and a critical darling. I like him and his first two albums are great IMHO. Your mileage may vary depending in your taste.

To assume that it was a favor because you don't care for him I think does a disservice to his talent and fans. You don't care for him cool. The first song isn't Representative of him live, the second was much improved. Let's keep in mind that lots of great bands have been awful on SNL (I don't think he was in this case).

As an example, if KISS was on SNL, I don't like them that much but I wouldn't say it was as a "favor" to a label, etc. I would recognize that clearly someone saw some value in them being on and that someone appreciates them.

Alfie Noakes and danner like this.
  21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

You think Sub Pop called in a few favors :wave:

MikaelaArsenault and wayneklein like this.
  22. danner

danner Forum Resident

Funny how people complain about SNL making safe musical guest choices, and yet whenever they pick someone slightly under the radar, everyone gripes just the same. Ho hum.

23. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I though Father John Misty was great, despite what seemed like mix issues and cutting down at least Pure Comedy for TV length. I do understand that possibly without some background on Josh Tillman and his Father John Misty persona people may be confused, plus there's a witty nature to his lyrics likely lost on many.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't watch the show any more but checked out a handful of this weeks skits on the youtube, mainly because I like Octavia Spencer. I enjoyed the thing where she's suing pharmaceutical companies for using her the names of her friends and family. I had once threatened to name my daughter Noxzema or Tylenol, so this one was funny for me. Didn't really find much else to get excited about.

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

With all the references to the old days of SNL, just for the record: The first forty episodes were titled, merely, Saturday Night, with no "Live" on the end, because of the Howard Cosell show that @Doug Sclar mentions above. Cosell's show was short lived, and once it was out of the way, "Live" was added to the NBC show's title after NBC paid ABC for the name Saturday Night Live.

Doug Sclar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.