Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I thought Father John Misty was great. *shrug*

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think even for this board, not calling the show "SNL" when referring to the first couple of seasons would be overly finicky.

MikaelaArsenault and agentalbert like this.
  3. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Her teleprompter reading is the worst I've seen since the last time DeNiro was on. I get the feeling when this happens the hosts just show up for dress rehearsal and much else.

Father John Misty wasn't as great as I hoped. The second song was good, but the first song is not one of the better ones off the new album. And the mix was bad.....

4. Squealy

When did he adopt this new yacht rock look, to quote Jason Isbell?

MikaelaArsenault and MLutthans like this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

There was one random episode in season 2—I think the one with Broderick Crawford—where they called it Saturday Night Live for the first time, then they reverted back to Saturday Night for the rest of the season. And, of course, most hosts and cast members seemed to call it Saturday Night, or the Saturday Night Show, for the whole first 5 seasons.

MLutthans likes this.
  6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Instagram post by Pete Davidson • Mar 6, 2017 at 11:48pm UTC

7. Squealy

Good for him, but I'm not sure why Pete says "I've been missing on the show." Hasn't he been on it about as much as he usually is? Seems to me we've seen him a couple of times in each episode this season. He's never been Kate McKinnon, appearing in every sketch.

He's talked in interviews about how he had to smoke pot to deal with his Crohn's disease, but maybe he was really just using his condition as an excuse to get stoned all the time.

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

He was in the Alec Baldwin episode, so yeah, he's only missed one episode.

I have a feeling what he claims he kicked is more serious than weed.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Squealy

He was, or he wasn't?

He was in the latest episode, he appeared in the filmed piece about chess. Maybe he wasn't at the taping.

True, people don't usually put out a public statement about laying off the weed.

AKA likes this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

He was in the monologue, giving Alec a hard time about his aging.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Got the distinct impression Octavia wasn't too comfortable with the "live" aspect. The pharmaceutical names skit was OK, but overall everything seemed just slightly off this week.
    The Owen Wilson impression almost caused others to break character. Glad to see Villasenor get a chance to shine.

DanBNash and Billy Infinity like this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Pete's girlfiend is Larry David's daughter, whom I believe he met when Larry hosted the show last year.

I know his father was killed during 9/11 and its haunted him since. Glad to hear he is getting himself together.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  13. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Yeah, the haircut and beard trim down the moustache seemed to be for SNL -- which again makes me laugh about his whole approach to the business and promotion. Prime time gig, the adage is "look your best". FJM seems to decide it's great time to make himself look like an uncool dad from the 1970s. His whole career and FJM persona is a "I care, but I don't really care approach" which I find pretty interesting.

14. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I love that you think Sub Pop can call in favors. People, including me, loved his first two albums. He's not for everyone, though.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Isn't Sub Pop have owned by Warner Bros? It could've been a manager, industry insider, whatever, favor. It seemed like a strange pick to me. Just my opinion!

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sorry to hear about his father. Is it just me or does he usually look like he just took a toke before the show?

17. OldSoul

No new episode until April 9th?? Really??
    First half of the episode was good. Fell apart after WU.

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

at least the next 2 Saturdays SNL never tries to compete against the ncaa tourney and possible late games with that

19. danner

danner Forum Resident

I think SNL tries to throw a bone or two to the indie crowd each season. I remember people being similarly confounded by St. Vincent's performance a while back.

20. Not a classic episode, but a pretty good one overall. I laughed a few times, Weekend Update was solid, nothing was totally flat. I also suspect that Lorde may be on the way to becoming more of a cult act, but for generally the right reasons.

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Saw some bits, all of the monologue and WU, but did not care for Lorde. It's on again in twenty minutes for the west coast rerun and will try and catch the opening bit this time.

22. OldSoul

Oh. I knew there had to be something...

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. I thought tonight's episode was kind of blah and Scarlett J. didn't really stand out in anything. Didn't like either of the songs performed by Lorde. They weren't my cup of tea.

(Maybe all the women actors, writers, crew, etc. really did take off on Wednesday for "Day Without Women" and that was the reason the show was kind of lacking.)

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  24. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Welllllll....I thought it was a fairly decent episode; certainly above average, though not stellar.

Opening was good, but not as sharp as the last few politically based openers. (The audio issues didn't help.)
    Molologue seemed like a deliberate throwaway, but passable.
    I thought the skits were generally good...the zoo photog bit was silly, but had a few chuckles. Same for the Olive Garden ad scene. The ninja spot had its moments, and the funeral skit was funny. The funniest was probably the one where the guys were making proclamations about all the issues confronting women, but not actually allowing the women to contribute to the conversation. Very clever bit.
    WU was good, and Pete Davidson's segment was very funny.
    The Ivanka fragrance video was hilarious.

Not a big Lorde fan, and I wasn't too drawn into her performances, but her first song seemed decent.

So, as I mentioned, decent and enjoyable episode. YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

My local station ran it on a delay due to the extended celebration after Coach K and the Dukies won the ACC Tournament. Unfortunately the delayed broadcast was in non-HD with the requisite shrunken screen size . . . except the locally inserted commercials! That gave me a bad taste from the start which never seemed to improve throughout the episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.