Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  2. So, are there any comedy geeks here who know anything about any of this lot? Whatever the case, it's good that Lorne and co. have dealt with the main reason last season was so mediocre.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

With the season premiere nine days away, they have finally announced the host and musical guest.

10/1: Margot Robbie / The Weeknd

4. Matthew Tate

I'd watch just to see margot robbie

goodiesguy likes this.
  5. Geez, wasn't the Weaknd just on within the past 18 months?

6. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

It'll actually be less than a year in between his appearances.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That's happening a lot recently. I don't know if it's 'cause not enough people want to play on the show, or what...

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Doubt that.

9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Yeah, he was on last season.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Making this the Weaknd Update?

dprokopy, goodiesguy, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  11. His people must be tight with the producers or something. Hopefully this isn't a harbinger of another season full of blah CHR musical acts.

12. OldSoul

Do you think they finally changed the home base set?

13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The musical choices over the last 10 years or so have gotten really safe. Hate to be one of those "it was better when I first watched it" types but they took a lot more chances.

14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Will watch because Margot Robbie :love:

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Also:

10/8: Lin-Manuel Miranda / Twenty One Pilots

MikaelaArsenault and keef00 like this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

These musical acts are so underwhelming and/or repetitive.

Deano6 likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Apparently Alec Baldwin is going to play Trump in the upcoming season premiere (have no idea if he'll recur in the role). As Darrell Hammond's impression seems pretty popular, I'm wondering if it means he's not with the show anymore?

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Damn millennials!

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Okay, Baldwin has been cast for the whole season (as needed) but Hammond is still the announcer (and ocassional performer, probably mostly as Bill Clinton, I assume).

'Saturday Night Live' Casts Alec Baldwin as Its New Donald Trump »

20. bartels76

Matthew Tate and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

I like Darryl.
    people say the show stopped being funny after sandler, Farley, myers, carvey, spade, , hartman, miller, nealon, etc left. imo the show remained really funny until the early 00's when they had hammond, meadows, ferrell, kattan, fallon, fey, dratch, gasteyer morgan, parnell, quinn, sanz, shannon, rudolph, etc. I know I'm missing a few names but those were some great casts.

the weird 1995-1997 casts were fun as it seemed random but the people were funny. tim meadows was still there and they had dave koechner, molly shannon , fred wolf, jim breuer, mark mckinney, norm macdonald and some of the people I listed about joined during that time period too. great times. I was in high school from 1996-2000.

to me the show has been on cruise control for about 10-12 years now. you'll have 1-2 great cast members and then they leave and you'll get some new ones. each time since 2005 you can identify who the stars are easily after a handful of episodes and know they will be gone and replaced by less funny people. fred armisen, keenan thompson, will forte, wiig, andy samberg, bill hader, jason sudeikis, etc.

22. I'm guessing it's so Hammond can do Bill Clinton and they can have Clinton and Trump on screen at the same time. His Clinton is better than his Trump anyway. And didn't Alec Baldwin turn his back on showbiz just a year or two ago?

dirwuf and Dudley Morris like this.
  23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The inevitable presidential debate skit should have Trump drinking margaritas instead of water. Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers are shown in the audience. A big brouhaha breaks out when everyone notices Trump's sniffling and the salt from the margarita on his face. Trump says, "It's the salt from the margarita -- believe me!" There's a nod of approval from one of the attendees, Tony Montana. Cuban and Flowers are making out -- Bill Clinton glares. With all the Trump-related action, Hillary has not appeared for a couple of minutes. A sudden shot of her podium shows no one there. The camera pans down to show her passed out on the floor.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  24. bartels76

That makes sense especially if she wins I'm sure they use him a bunch as Bill. Maybe they expect Trump to go away eventually.

kevywevy likes this.
  25. OldSoul

No set change. Of course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.