Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Dorm TV was being used. :( I'll watch on Hulu tomorrow. I'm not a Fallon fan, though, so hopefully I'm not missing much.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The original had its skits that fell flat. But, when I watch SNL now, there are just too many skits that I end up thinking, "That's not Funny, that's stupid."

I'll always be partial to Aykroyd, Belushi, & Murray because, I had never seen anything like that on TV before. 1st impressions and all.

Like I'm partial to 70's rock music, because I'd never heard music like that before.

There's good humor that you don;t even half to laugh out loud to.

Unlike the first years, I really believe that SNL now laser focuses on Sophomoric humor. But I didn't even care for Sophomoric humor, when I was a Sophomore. :cool:

3. Not terrible tonight, not great, but OK. Funniest bits IMHO were the short films of the disastrous junior high play and the background actors with zero basketball skills. WU weighed down with another overlong Sheldon the Bar Mitzvah boy segment - I was hoping these were gone for good, but no. Harry Styles was nothing special, but not terrible either. Also on the music front: special H/T to Jimmy for getting Nile Rodgers a gig backing up the monologue dance sequence.

eddiel and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I quite liked Cecily Strong's Liza impersonation.

5. I also liked Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer this time - previously she was a tad too OTT for me, but the bit worked well this time.

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I have never seen my girlfriend in tears laughing so had at the Legally Blonde spoof..I kind of just shrugged my shoulders .

MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The Bar Mitzvah kid bits have never made me laugh. I get it but I don't find it funny, but there must be someone in NYC that does. I agree though, I thought it weighed down the WU segment and the bad comedian bit was so-so.

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I thought it was hilarious start to finish. Harry Stiles was surprisingly very good.

I come here and see the same old humor-challenged posts and laments for the old days as always.

SNLchanges all the time, this place is like a fly trapped in Amber.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Didn't enjoy the last two weeks at all, but they have had some good episodes this season. Getting really, really tired of the weekend update anchors more and more laughing at the jokes, especially Che (or however you spell it). He's doing that more and more and it's getting annoying imo. It really takes me out of the segment and I'm surprised Lorne is allowing that to happen. It's fine when it's genuine, on occasion, but he's laughing at some really lame jokes lately and doing it more frequently. Someone mentioned his girlfriend laughing hysterically at the Legally Blond skit, while he didn't get it. You would definitely have to be familiar with theater to get that one. It was a very smart and funny skit, and I film theater so I was also laughing hysterically, but I bet very few people found that one funny. A bit "too" inside I bet, but if you are around theater it was hilarious!

Paper Wizard likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess then you wouldn't have liked The Carol Burnett Show, where Harvey Korman, Tim Conway and Carol regularly cracked each other up. That to me was even funnier than the joke that set them off. But even if you're telling the joke yourself, I don't have a problem if t sets you off, in disbelief. Louis CK is prone to that and it just makes the joke seem funnier.

I quite like the weekend update segment - it's better than many non-opening skits. Liked McCarthy's Spicer bit (as usual) and the Pepsi/United skit was quite good.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Was it really that inside? It was about an alleged middle school production, not a professional theater group. I know next to nothing about theater, but found it very funny.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm not really a Fallon fan, but it was a better episode than some this season. Fast forwarded through most of Stiles though. . . UGH.

As much as I want the political humor to continue it hasn't been as funny the last few appearances as it had been earlier. Hopefully it will get funnier again.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It happened so often on that show that it felt like that was the skit! To be fair though, some of those faces that Tim Conway pulled...hard not to laugh no matter how professional you are trying to be :)

Weekend Update is usually pretty good and it was this time as well except for the "guests" I didn't find them funny at all.

Deesky likes this.
  14. agentalbert

I always like Kyle's "Bruce Chandling" bits during Weekend Update, but Bar Mitzvah Boy does nothing for me.

15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The first two or three times I didn't laugh at the Bruce Chandling bit but this last week I thought it was hilarious.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Starting to sound as if SNL is like the Beatles...there is something there for everyone to enjoy, even people who hate one [song/sketch] that everyone else loves.

MikaelaArsenault and bartels76 like this.
  17. Funny you should mention Carol Burnett. I've watched SNL from the beginning and one of the golden rules in the early days (and I'm not especially a "the first cast was the best" guy) was absolutely no breaking up during skits. Somewhere in an SNL book is a quote from John Belushi declaring that they would not do that Carol Burnett (crap) because he thought it was very unprofessional and because comedy was a serious business etc. It seems that Lorne dropped that rule at the beginning of his (imho) unfathomable love affair with all things Fallon.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You may be thinking of this account from Doug Hill and Jeff Weingrad's Saturday Night:

Lorne did, however, lay down some ground rules, in the process outlining an attitude toward the show. Saturday Night would do sketches, not skits; kids do skits, he said, and so did Carol Burnett. Lorne made it clear that Burnett's style encompassed everything Saturday Night should avoid. It lacked subtlety and nuance; it was too broad, too bourgeois, and too smug — especially when the performers broke out laughing in mid-sketch, doubling up at the hilarity of themselves. There will be more integrity and respect for the writing here, he said. From then on many an idea would be derisively dismissed on the 17th floor with the words, "That's Carol Burnett."​

krock2009 and kevywevy like this.
  19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Has there ever been an opening like this past one? A comedian doing an un-silly song? "They" certainly pulled it off...

20. OldSoul

Turns out the Easter Spicer skit was shot in LA. I thought it looked weird.

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Fallon didn't break up this episode....I was shocked!

agentalbert and OldSoul like this.
  22. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Is 5 nights a week not enough for Fallon? I know, legacy blah blah blah, Loren blah blah blah... I guess I'm just tired of Fallon shoehorning himself into so many games, skits, musical performances on The Tonight Show and now SNL. He's loaded with talent, no question. But his overexposure has really soured me on him.

Lonson likes this.
  23. OldSoul

It was a desperate move to boost the Tonight Show's tumbling viewership (in my opinion). It didn't work!

Bill, Matthew Tate and kouzie like this.
  24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The musical guests have been announced:

5/6: Chris Pine / LCD Soundsystem
    5/13: Melissa McCarthy / Haim
    5/20: Dwayne Johnson / Katy Perry

But if the writers go on strike next week, then the season is probably already over.

Matthew Tate, rburly and OldSoul like this.
  25. agentalbert

Love LCD Soundsystem, I'm looking forward to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.