Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That is about as perfect looking a woman that it possible imo, assuming you are into blonds. As such, they utilized her well and she seemed like she was a great sport about it. She was amazing in The Wolf of Wall Street, so imo she has nothing to prove as far as her real talent goes. I think she had a good time and it showed. As we know, the host can really make or break a show.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I am shocked we haven't heard in this thread that "SNL is over"," it was better XX years ago when XX was on" like all the past seasons. Are we almost all in agreement that it was a strong show? That blows my mind.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Hmm...

4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Because no one watched it.

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Vanessa looked cute in the "Good Nights".

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Mister Charlie likes this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It was the highest rated SNL premier in the last 8 years.

Jrr and MRamble like this.
  7. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

You're right; I was just projecting my own disinterest. For the first time ever, I don't think I can even watch it casually. I guess it's my loss.

8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Kate McKinnon is by far the best thing SNL has going for it. She needs to be in more movies. She and Cecily are also very nice to look at.

9. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I think that perhaps she is what so many claimed Kristin Wiig was supposed to be.

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well an over abundance of it I should've said. Usually people love trashing it here. I was talking to my friend about it that I think this show will always be on. We need a show like this to make fun of current events and what is happening in the world. Yes talk shows do it too but it's not the same. With a revolving door of cast members and writers and new material all the time to parody it should go on forever.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I realized the other night that part of what makes SNL special to me is that it has retained its look and feel consistently throughout the decades. It appears they've kept on the same crew for most of its run so the look of the show remains the same; the graphics and the music all still follow the same traditions from when the show started. If you watch a past episode from 5, 10 or 15 years go it will still look very familiar. No doubt this has something to do with Lorne being at the helm all this time too. Either way, the show's tone is almost like another cast member.

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

funny?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Premiere had some funny bits, but I didn't think it was a "great show" by any means.

Mister Charlie and jupiter8 like this.
  14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He is also doing music (at least one song) for the forthcoming Disney feature Moana and wrote the (silly but fun) reggae-ish Maz Kanata "cantina" song from The Force Awakens.

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It wasn't a terrible episode, so I think that already makes it a step above most of last season. No real groaners or head-scratchers. I have to admit, I kind of miss it when they don't have at least one sketch that isn't a total misfire.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I thought the sketches after Update were way better than average for the show. "The Hunch Bunch" is the kind of thing that definitely belongs in that slot, but it was mercifully short and had a punch line. "Actress Round Table" let Kate McKinnnon do another "damaged goods" character which is always funny to me.

17. Wiig had her moments, but she also had too many of those one-note characters who were enough the first time around but kept getting brought back.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

This is sad to say....I didn't even realize that I had not seen her in any skits until I read your post. I really like her...was she not in the show much last week?

OldSoul likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For people hanging out in this forum, it appears that way! I think a lot of people have given up on it. But people should also know it's always had it's good and bad seasons. You just have to give it another go when the new seasons start. This one is off to a great start imo.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't think she appeared in the show at all until the goodnight.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  21. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I like this new kid they got on the show, Alec Baldwin. Kid's got a lotta potential.

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

By the time he is 30, he will Rock! :)

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

And:

10/15: Emily Blunt / Bruno Mars

10/22: Tom Hanks / Lady Gaga

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Wow, I had no idea you can p---y on broadcast TV now! (Or was that bleeped out? I saw the opening this morning, on the NBC site.)

Anyway, that was the only really funny part of last night's show. The rest was back to business as usual -- i.e., lameness.

25. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Stranger Things parody was hilarious. Sad they stuck it at 12:45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.