Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I had a good laugh during every sketch. That's all I can ask for at this point. "The Mooch" wearing the first suit from The Olive Garden's new apparel line killed me.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I thought it was a nice touch that they brought out John Mulaney on-camera during the Stefon bit on Weekend Update. Wasn't he the writer who wrote with Hader and would always change the jokes between rehearsal and broadcast in an effort to get him to crack up on camera? For instance, in this case he would have been the one to insert "Roman J. Israel, Esq." to the lists of club features. :laugh:

3. Ken_McAlinden

The Irish dating show sketch actually seemed to infect Cecily Strong's Canadian accent on the "CBC Report - Canadian Harvey Weinstein" sketch. :laugh:

4. modrevolve

He did a 30 minute interview on WTF with Marc Maron that posted this morning to promote his new show Barry. At one point he did his Vincent Price impression and we both busted out laughing.

5. I think you're correct Ken. Mulaney was a writer on Saturday Night Live, c. 2008-2014. Hader kept losing it at Roman J. Israel.

Reminds me of a Stefon sketch from a few years back where every club feature MTV's Dan Cortez. Hader kept losing it there too :laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed that too.

7. agentalbert

This has seemed to be a problem for awhile. Its as if they don't want to end with an actual joke or punchline, so they just trail off. Maybe they should try ending with more of a laugh moment. I suppose some of the writers think that would be too sit-com-ey or hokey, but it might be an improvement.

I think Mikey and Alex are both very funny (especially as the Trump brothers) and Beck and Kyle are both very good too. It must be pretty frustrating being a guy on that show. Two weeks ago in the cold open, they had a need for a Bob Mueller. And went with Kate. It was a funny sketch, but I would think the more logical choices (Mikey, Alex and Beck) would have found that disappointing. It's one thing having Kate do Jeff Sessions, as they are playing him as a tiny weasel. For all the screen time Kate gets, having her take that role kind of annoyed me. Kate is very good, but a lot of the times it seems like she's just mugging on screen. I prefer Cecily for that reason. Heidi seems pretty versatile too, though she mostly just got the straight man type parts in this last episode.

8. modrevolve

Sitting at my desk watching the sketch cut for time having a few laugh out loud moments.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

About forty years!

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Can anyone explain why the crowd went so crazy when Mulaney came out?

I don't watch "SNL" much - mainly just see clips online at this point - so it's unclear what he's done to merit being treated like a rock star!

11. Oatsdad

Yeah, exactly - "SNL" has always had plenty of sketches that were heavy in concept but light in execution!

12. Ken_McAlinden

Very successful stand-up... Not too successful network sitcom.... Pretty well received Broadway Show with Nick Kroll.... Extremely well known by hardcore comedy nerds... Applause sign in studio...

13. Oatsdad

I get the "applause sign" part - I just thought the mania the crowd exhibited seemed over the top and shockingly exuberant! You woulda thought Shecky Greene had come onstage! :D

14. agentalbert

It was like when Dave Franco (Dave, not James) walked out for a bit during a sketch earlier this year. Crowd went bonkers. And I'm thinking, "For Dave Franco?"

15. Oatsdad

Hey, at least I recognize Dave Franco! I had no idea who Mulaney was! :shrug:

16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Maybe being one of the most successful stand up comics currently working -- he sold out eight shows at Boston's Symphony Hall in minutes, and that's not a small room -- means comedy fans love them some Mulaney. In other words, he is a rock star in the stand up world.

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I was confused when that happened as well, I kept thinking I was missing something. Eventually I put it together that it was Mulaney and helped write the Stafon bits. He's very funny, and I assume the crowd is likely more familiar with him that the average view would be.

dan c

18. Oatsdad

Yeah, I get that now. I just had no clue who he was when he hit the stage - and when I looked at the article that linked the Stefon clip, it simply called Mulaney the character's "co-creator", with no other information about his career.

So I'm out of touch with current pop culture - is this news? ;) :D

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I didn't realize he's gotten that big. Pretty cool, he's quite clever.

dan c

20. Oatsdad

Or maybe they just really liked his leather pants! :D

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Mulaney has become very popular despite the catastrophic failure of his sitcom... I saw him a few months ago and was surprised at the huge crowd he drew (with another show to follow that night). Probably a lot of people don’t even know that show happened. It was an indicator though that he may struggle to move beyond stand up... the show suggested he can’t act at all, even in comparison to someone like Seinfeld.

22. That was a very terrible show. Someone decided to remake Seinfeld only without interesting sidekicks or good writers. Or a lead who could act.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Anyone got videos of the Arcade Fire performances or the sketch?

24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Go to the SNL YouTube channel.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. Ken_McAlinden

Seinfeld with a lead who cannot act? That was called "Seinfeld":laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.