Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, this week even the "10 to 1" bits were at least OK, a level that was beyond the entirety of the previous week's episode. "Our family has a prison named after us. Jealous?"

seed_drill and Diamond Dog like this.
  2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

4. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Well, once again the season will come full circle...it will end the same way it began, with a single host and solo musical guest. This is also the seventh consecutive year a season will end with a solo musical guest. And yes, the host for the finale will be a former SNL cast member. Again this is NBC being too cheap to find a good host. Which sums up what I’ve been saying all season...SNL is in need of some serious fixing. It is a show that has taken too many wrong turns. Like I said many times, it is not the show it was in its original five seasons.

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And thank God for that! Ever go back and actually watch one of those full shows from the first five years? Painfully, horribly bad sketches that last forever with zero point to them.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

As we said the last time you brought this up ... there isn’t a sliding scale for hosts and musicians based on how famous they are, or how many people are in the group. The pay is minimal for everyone. Former cast members come back because the fans like them.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

And to also promote stuff. Tina has Mean Girls to promote.

8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Donald Glover will be awesome to see! He is crazy talented, and he was hilarious on Community

Amy Schumer? Well let's just say I already can tell you how unfunny that episode will be lol

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Will Donald Glover get paid double since he is performing double duty? :)

10. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

But there will come a time, if it hasn’t already, when fans will see that it’s the “ same ol, same ol”, and they will get tired of this “broken record”. I believe that if what would have been the better hosts keep turning SNL down, then the river, as they say, will run dry. As for solo musical guests...there needs to be more diverse group guests like Arcade Fire.

11. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

There is a point to almost everything, and the first five seasons will always stand out as late night TV at its finest.

Jerry Horne and rburly like this.
  12. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I like the original cast, as much as anyone and even own all 5 seasons on DVD. That said, it's getting ridiculous how mythical that cast is treated. Entire episodes often suffered for the same things that they have throughout the decades.

Shawn, jupiter8, Dan C and 5 others like this.
  13. A decade ago. Interesting. Did anyone else catch the strange reference to Andy Cunanan in that sketch? (Andrew Cunanan was the serial killer who murdered Gianni Versace and Chicago businessman Lee Miglan among others back in the late 1990s.) Cunanan was the subject of the recent Season 2 of American Crime Story on FX. I wonder if the reference was something recently written into the sketch. BTW, my partner Debra and I did not find the joke funny.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story - Wikipedia

14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I guess I’m in the minority in that I don’t particularly find Mulaney all that hilarious or the week’s episode that all that funny. I liked the Bravo parody they stuck at the end but man 2 restaurant sketches? Usually they manage to stick to only one restaurant sketch a week -maybe they couldn’t come up with a game show bit this week and had to double up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

That wedding sketch that was cut for time is funnier than the Switcheroo sketch or the classroom walk-out one. That premise behind the Switcheroo was really week. Otherwise, I think Mulaney did a fantastic job.
    It seemed like there were even more commercials towards the end of the show, which ran long anyway and the finale was cut short.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Hilarious cold opener last night.
    What a legend Ms Daniels is turning out to be. :D

17. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Excellent cold opening..rest of the show was pretty brutal..went to bed after Update. Will have to watch the rest on Hulu.

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It’s never too late for an Oran "Juice" Jones spoof.

19. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I thought the whole episode was great. The cold open was definitely the highlight, though.

Dan C likes this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

<<<<<< crickets >>>>>>

21. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Melissa Villasenor made a reference to the Elephant Man. I can die now.

Dan C and eddiel like this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Highlight for me was Michael Che stepping away from the plate on the Kanye gag. Said more than any joke could have in terms of commentary on West's latest attempt at seeing what his own tonsils look like from the back. That and Childish Gambino's guitarist. Rest of the show was...meh.

D.D.

MikaelaArsenault, Dan C and OldSoul like this.
  23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have to say I enjoyed Childish Gambino's performances. I haven't been able to find a male rap/r&b artist that has done anything for me for years. I feel like rap is really terrible right now so it was nice to see something different and unique rather than some wanna be Drake artist or someone ripping off old R&B like Bruno. Donald is pretty talented.

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  24. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

That Barbie instagram sketch was the first thing on SNL that I have laughed out loud at in years. The opposition of the seriousness of the Glover existentialist character against the absurd stupidity of such marketing tactics as the Barbie instagram campaign and and the stupid answers from the others I found so funny. I don't know which is dumber the interns comments or the marketers idea of such a campaign? Curious who wrote it.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That was a lot of fun, even though I didn’t have any memory of the inspiration of the skit.

Marry a Carrot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.