Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never thought of any of those as "'SNL' movies". They're "movies with actors who'd been on 'SNL'".

I guess "Caddyshack" comes closest, since it's the only one with 2 actors who'd already been on "SNL".

With "Spinal Tap", only Shearer had already been on "SNL". Eventually all 3 of the leads would be "SNL" cast members but Guest and McKean didn't join until after the film came out...

agentalbert, OldSoul and Shawn like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

After "Wayne's World" was such a hit, it was clear those involved at "SNL" thought spinoff movies could be a cottage industry.

Cast members tried harder to develop catchphrases and characters who could get them into movies.

From 1992-2000, we got 9 spinoff movies. There was only one before - "Blues Brothers" - and only one since, as they tried with "MacGruber" in 2010...

Matthew Tate and the pope ondine like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im surprised (but thankful) we never got a Church Lady movie.....isn't that special

Matthew Tate, agentalbert and OldSoul like this.
  4. I could actually imagine a Stefon movie - although maybe not at the cinema, but maybe as a specialty channel or streaming movie. Forget about a contrived plot or anything, the whole thing would be just following Stefon around during a night on the town as he goes club-hopping, meets strange characters, and gets into the sort of weird scenes he talks about on SNL. Lots of opportunities there for cameos. Maybe it could be done cinema-verité style in something approximating real time. Imagine some sort of cross between Party Monster and an On The Prowl video filtered through a matrix of silly string and a mandatory but limit-pushing PG-13 rating. Get Gaspar Noé to direct while on Ecstacy, and boom, you've got a film!

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I couldn't disagree more. The reason I posted those (for those who don't understand) movies is because the people in those movies were funny. I don't think we've had that kind of talent in quite a while now. The SNL actors haven't been funny enough for movies in quite a while.

Edit: I see that this is your discussion/thread. Carry on.

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I could imagine a Netflix mock reality show where each week Stefon goes clubbing to the wildest parties in New York City and beyond.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not one of these movies involve a character that started on snl. the actors yes but not the characters

8. the pope ondine

that's part of the problem, lack of a true breakout star, cast is too big and actors get spread out they have 16 cast members now as opposed to what 7 originally? I think some are really talented. if kate was on the original cast she could've been a Gilda level star at least, shes doing fine now but when the cast is so big you don't get as much airtime or stretch yourself as much. I always thought Cicely would be bigger, Kenan is talented but he also has that Nickelodean training so he goes broad too much as does Aidy, easy/cheap way to get a laugh, michael che is hilarious but not really an actor, Bennett is talented.....

kevywevy likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

SNL’s Killer Contract
    Does SNL still have contracts that lock up a star for as much as 12 years and can force you to do a junk sitcom? Any notables stars refused joining the cast since 1999?

rburly likes this.
  10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Was anyone locked up for 12 years or forced to do a junk sitcom?

I know Kenan's been on forever, but I don't think he is being held against his will.

Matthew Tate and rburly like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just watched the Seth Meyers episode on youtube. Unless I missed her, Cecily wasn't in it at all. Did she appear somewhere? Was she there at the end when everyone came out on stage?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Maybe Seth got paid comparatively little for the first couple years of his show. Andy Samberg and that cop show?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Marry a Carrot

She's the one with the dog.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. agentalbert

Ah, that's right, I forgot about that. Was that her only appearance the whole episode?

15. Marry a Carrot

I think so.

When cast members who usually get a decent amount of screen time make only a brief appearance, it's often a sign they had a larger role in a sketch cut after dress rehearsal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Tim Meadows had a line during a Mike Myers monologue about having signed a "thirty-year contract".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Again, I would argue that The Blues Brothers film is a decent work on its own, and Wayne’s World has enough merit to support its commercial success. All the other spinoffs were poor attempts to cash in on, at best, marginal interest.

Matthew Tate and rburly like this.
  18. the pope ondine

no argument from me, love the blues brothers, I dont see it as a spin off really, when they did it on stage it was more like their own musical act and I think they already had bigger plans for it

Zep Fan and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

But The Blues Brothers originated from a sketch on SNL, and subsequently evolved into their familiar identity. No one could have anticipated the type of broader reception it would have eventually achieved. Ackroyd and Belushi were simply following through on something that they liked to do, and it just found an audience.

Although, I wouldn’t classify any of the films derived from SNL sketches as “spin-offs”, as I suspect a “spin-off” implies an anticipated series of work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. the pope ondine

i know, i just see them diffrently cause they were a musical act and performed without the cast for the most part, surprised we never got the 'wild and crazy guys' movie.
    ps meaning spin-off from a popular show, kind of like Rhoda from mtm, or jeffersons from all in the family, whats a better word..offshoot maybe?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

to be honest I thought there was until recently

22. They did, it was just re-imagined as Night At The Roxbury ;)

the pope ondine and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. agentalbert

So who are the upcoming hosts/musical guests? Seems like this would be easy to fine, but a few web searches only turned up older articles, or ones announcing the episodes that have already aired.

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Nov. 3 is Jonah Hill and Maggie Rogers. I don’t think they’ve announced any more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. agentalbert

Thanks. Hadn't heard of Maggie Rogers before, so I just watched a few vids on YT to see what she was like. She wasn't bad, so I'm curious to hear what she'll be like live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.