“Saved by the Bell” reboot teaser (Peacock)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I never thought I’d say this about a Saved by the Bell property, but this looks great.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Now this is something worth seeing.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

By Zeus, flaming ham.. what curse has been unleashed by Pandora ..

Chip TRG and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

One word...why

5. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

If it keeps one child from getting hooked on caffeine pills it is worth it.

6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Zack Attack needs to make a guest appearance

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  7. AKA

Why make The Brady Bunch Movie? This seems like the same self-parody territory.

8. MikaelaArsenault

And why was there even a sequel to The Brady Bunch Movie?

9. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

And there was also Brady spinoffs with the Brady kids all grown up. Saved by the bell is trying to capitalize on this concept as well. It doesn’t mean it will be a success, but this is very typical of the entertainment world. Spinoffs or trying to capture a show or movie popular long ago is the new normal.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  10. AKA

I pointed that out a few years ago when reboot-mania started kicking into high gear, and some of the members didn’t seem to like that. People seem to think previous decades were immune from revivals and reboots, but they really weren’t.

11. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

NBC actually did another seven years of this franchise with Saved By The Bell - The New Class and also a year of Saved By The Bell - The College Years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. AKA

Despite the long run, they couldn’t get The New Class to work, as evidenced by the ever-revolving cast and the fact that it hasn’t been seen in syndication in 20 years. It was the little engine that couldn’t, and I think the only reason it lasted seven years is because NBC got away with slapping the E/I label onto it.

The College Years didn’t work as a prime time sitcom, either, for various reasons, but at least they were able to seamlessly integrate the reruns and the TV movie finale into the (already bizarre) Saved by the Bell syndication package.

This reboot might hit the mark, though. It’s self-aware enough to attract the Zack Morris Is Trash fans, and it will surely check all the nostalgic boxes. I imagine its primary audience will end up being adults who grew up watching the original series.

I’m not sure why they went single-cam with the reboot or made it a lot more risque than the original (this show is going to be a TV-14), but I’m going to give it a go.

13. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

It’s all the fault of that damn Homer. He couldn’t think of anything original after the Iliad. So he went to the tired old crutch of a sequel. Once upon a time we had original poets. But now it is hacks who will ge quickly forgotten.
    Rolling Stone review 800 B C

14. Doesn't look good enough to work, IMO. Or it might get decent reviews like the 90210 reboot but just not sail.
    And when the "teens" look older than the adults. :rolleyes:

MikaelaArsenault and Myke like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because the first one made money!

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  16. AKA

Exactly. I think Mikaela misunderstood the premise of my post.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

I did, and I'm sorry.

AKA likes this.
  18. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, it's tonally very different from the original.
    So far I'm not impressed. I always hate it when they obviously recreate or reference the original in the way this trailer does. It's insulting to the the audience.

Look! Cafeine pills! Look the Barbara Ann-sequence with the shades and the tanktops! Remember this? You liked this as a kid! Now you like us too!

j_rocker and Butterfly Blue like this.
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Some things from my teen years need to stay buried..

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Couple tv movies and a lifetime biopic.

I imagine that Dustin "Screech" Diamond is a no-go. Some classic cast won't appear beside him and his book/adult video.

21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I'll give it a shot. I thought the original was pretty lame but for some reason was always drawn to it. We watched it in our college dorm back when it was on. It originally started as Good Morning Miss Bliss.

It does look like Lopez and Berkley are the only regulars to return with Thiessen and Mark Paul to appear in some episodes. No word on Mr Belding, Screech or Lisa.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. AKA

Lark Voorhies has severe psychological problems that prevent her from effortlessly carrying on a conversation, let alone acting, and I think Dustin Diamond is still persona non grata with most of the cast after that book he wrote. Lopez and Gosselaar seem to have forgiven him; I’m not sure about the others.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  23. MikeInFla

Thanks, I did not know that about Lark. The last time I saw her was on DS9 and I haven't seen her since. Dustin is claiming much of the book is made up by a ghost writer and he had very little input.

and an interview with Mario:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q308dq2z5I

24. MikeInFla

25. MikaelaArsenault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.