Saw Melissa Etheridge Last Night. Wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

She also had breast cancer.

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Always thought Melissa could do a killer "covers" album...

I saw her on the Brave & Crazy tour and just recently won a pair of tix to see her this summer. I long since quit buying her new music, but am looking forward to the show. She was great back in '90 or so when I saw her.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I know - what's that have to do with my unwillingness to spend more than $50 to see her? :confused:

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think he mentioned it in reference to your "she had a few years of commercial success and then found a niche audience" comment but even then I don't see what breast cancer has to do with her album quality or commercial success (or lack thereof). :shrug:

5. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Your little Secret -is killer!

6. Jamey K

Nothing at all...nor did I mean that. I was trying to say, poorly, that around the apex of her hit making, she had to stop everything, due to breast cancer.

I did not mean anything else, and I apologize if it was taken that way.

keyXVII likes this.
  7. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's really loud though the songs are great. Another ruined recording...

8. Jamey K

Her record company released a live CD with four songs on it, right after her first album hit. Recorded, at The Roxy(I think), it has a blistering version of "Like The Way I Do" that is worth searching out.

9. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

WXRT in Chicago played her first album constantly, to the point that I was sick to death of it. Then she opened for a post-Lowell Little Feat show, just her and an acoustic guitar, and she turned me completely around in 40 minutes. I forgot you could rock that hard all by yourself.

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I saw him (Jeffrey Osbourne) a while back and was pleasantly surprised, he was very good. Going by your list, you will enjoy him a lot.:thumbsup:

11. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The only ME album I haven't been able to get is Awakening -seems to have not had a European release, and only available as an import from people i don't care to buy from.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You can get the full concert of that on the second disc of the deluxe edition of her debut if you're interested. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Etheridge-CD-Deluxe-Edition/dp/B0000AZKDL

Jamey K likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No biggie - I didn't really "take it" any way other than to be confused! :)

But Etheridge's cancer diagnosis came well after the "apex of her hit making". Her biggest album came out in 1993, and her last million-seller was from 1995. 1999's "Breakdown" only went gold, and 2001's "Skin" and 2004's "Lucky" didn't even sell THAT well.

Also, if you look at her album releases, there's no extended gap around the time of her treatment. Her biggest between-album span was 1995-1999, which was well before her diagnosis. She was diagnosed fall 2004 and put out a new album in 2007 - three years after "Lucky", so that was about her usual gap.

Of course, none of this "commercial apex" talk has any bearing on the quality of her music - that's a different subject. But Melissa's cancer isn't what altered her hit-making - she was already in commercial decline well before that happened...

14. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Just learned there's a new ME album coming out September. Don't follow many current artists, but I'll be getting this one.

15. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I wish they'd release a proper live album.. or better yet, live box.. It's common knowledge that her shows are killer.. Why not celebrate them with a good release?!

16. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Hard to believe it has been twenty-five years or so, but the only time I saw her play was opening for Bruce Hornsby and the Range. Pretty great double bill for acts with debut albums that only had one song or two getting radio play at the time.

17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I think this is the little card sleeve promo I have- red, Melissa with spiky hair.

There's also a live bonus disc witht he deluxe 2CD version of the self titled album. Maybe even the same concert?

. . .Sorry- just saw that earlier post!

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Doesn't matte, Alan2 - it bears repeating, if you haven't seen Melissa live, you're doomed to only think of her in the context of post-Lilith divas with a couple catchy songs on Adult Contemporary radio...and that would be a damned shame.

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Breathe - Hands To Heaven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.