Say Grover - what's this about you performing Dynaco mods???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by indy mike, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Our friend wags mentioned innanother thread that you're going to be doing some mod work on his Dynaco ST-70; just what sorta voodoo do you do to Mr. Hafler's beloved baby??? I've got some MK-IV's that might be looking for a tune up...

2. audio

audio New Member

Well, it's over now.....Grover is never going to get any rest now that the cat is out of the bag. Can you say "swamped"?

3. grover

grover Cable Maestro

Yes its true guys the Dyna ST70 with a cheap grover mod becomes one of the great amps of all time. Only one problem the 7199 driver is a scarce tube.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sovtek makes a 7199. It's not bad, but it ain't great. Even some early GE 7199's are better. They're available at usually $13 per. Kinda expensive for a Russian.

But for the price, make sure you get one more than you need. Some of them have been just a tad leaky (crackle).

Some boards and mods completely remove the 7199's use and instead a less scarce tube is used, a 6GH8. But the sound really doesn't change all that much...

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Grover:

Is this the type of mod that you can do, and then we can install it ourselves (with proper instruction, of course), or does it require shipping the whole unit to you?

I'm hoping for the first option, but I'll bet the last is more likely... :)

-Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.