Say it ain't so, Joe.... [ebay Led Zep II LP deal gone bad]*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jbr1965, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbr1965

jbr1965 New Member Thread Starter

Being a newbie on vinyl I made a major blunder, I bought what I thought was a Led Zeppelin II RL SS without thinking for a $40 BIN on Ebay. It's then I got a clue to research my buy. Many things glared back at me, no detailed picture of the RL on dead wax, a Gold Record Award sticker on front. So I asked the seller even though his sales item description said it was an RL SS clearly. A day went by no response, I then asked if he got my message. He responded saying his wife took it upon herself to sell a few items copied the description blah blah blah....if not send back he will refund that plus media mail costs. Amazing mislabeling an item and I'm supposed to worry about his mailing costs??? I tried to use his label for the auction in the description that description never came up at all. So clearly it was typed in by the auction seller. I realize lesson learned it could have been worst but I have no plans on letting it die to me this is clearly fraud who ever prepped this auction knew the lingo relating to the album.

Led Zeppelin II LP RL Hot Mix SD8236 Robert Bob Ludwig SS | eBay

2. I thought this was about the Murray Head album. Go figure!

Adam9 and Siegmund like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

me, too. Or the song, which Daltry covered.

utopiarun and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  4. I feel your pain and disgust on this one. I presume e-bay have been no help?

5. swampwader

swampwader Forum Resident

Heard Daltrey's version just the other day and I quite like it.

6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Me, too!

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I'm reminded of all the "Columbia six-eye" albums from the '80s I've seen advertised on eBay. (Columbia retired the six-eye label in 1962.)

Incidentally, is it possible to tell if a still-sealed LZII is an RL mastering? It's safe to say it isn't RL if it has an RIAA award (since those are obviously from much later), but can you tell conclusively that it is without looking at the dead wax? I can't think of how you could.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I thought this was about Phil Collins.

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The Hollies' version is a great moment.

WRT the OP: pretty sure there's threads about getting burned on eBay already, rather than starting a new one with a nonsense title.

Calling it fraud will get you nowhere - can't you accept that some people make mistakes?

rjp likes this.
  10. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The scariest part of this story for me is that wives might take it upon themselves to secretly sell and worse inaccurately grade and price our treasured recordings. I may need to tighten up my inventory control.

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

No, you can't and there was a hilarious thread based on this topic a few months ago. Look for it.

Hey Vinyl Man, boboquisp and tmtomh like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'5317704' is a very under-rated hollies album.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He offered to let you send it back and he'll pay return shipping.

End of story.

tkl7, dkmonroe, Shawn and 6 others like this.
  14. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

:laugh: Blaming the wife about listing his records?Like most on here would
    even let their wives touch their records.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah it might be deliberate or it might not but if the seller will refund and make good on the return postage (which ebay would force him to do to anyway) not too big of a deal.

16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about that disappointment.

I would think that the Gold Record Award stamp would be a sign of "not likely an RL."
    You can also tell, definitively, that the dead wax is much too wide to be the RL.
    Dead giveaway.

But keep hunting. Ebay may not be the best place for now.
    Library book sales, estate sales, and old record stores are better options.
    Keep an eye out for record collections for sale on Craigslist if they're within a short drive.
    Persistence pays off.
    Wont tell you what I paid for mine (2), but man I was doggedly determined.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In the current environment:

Library book sales: Typical no. There are people with connections (or who buy their way into insider status) who go over everything way before you see it.
    Estate sales: If you are the earlybird and get lucky. If you plan to get up at 10 and leisurely look at stuff, not a chance.
    Old record stores: Not typically. Pretty much everyone is clued in now. Things slip through, but not very commonly
    Craigslist: There are people who flip records for a living. Unless you have endless time on your hands to beat them at their own game, you're likely out of luck. The only exception is if the Craigslist ad is pathetically bad and you see through it

Persistence: Yes, that's the key.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  18. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought "plus shipping" meant that he'll pay for shipping.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ebay can force sellers to pay for return postage?

I'm having that issue now. someone sold me a "like new" cd that was all scratched and scuffed up. I even asked before I bought the cd and the seller said the cd was mint. he cd arrived, the case is sticky ad the cd is not mint at all. unless the seller has a low IQ or is stevie wonder the scratches and scuffs are easily visible. I wrote the seller and told them I'm sending it back and want a refund. they said they won't pay for the return postage though because its my choice to return the item since I'm not satisfied. I told the seller I'm not satisfied because the description was wrong and you lied in a message saying it was mint. they still have refused to pay the return postage so right now I lost $3 buying something I returned the day after opening it

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Don't waste any more time with these bozos.

Open a case through eBay for an item that was not as described. The seller will have to take action to resolve the case, and their only options will be to either provide a pre-paid label for you to return it or else provide a full refund and you don't have to return it.

Be sure you do not mention the word "feedback" in any correspondence. NEVER EVER NO MATTER WHAT. Then, once you have your money back, leave negative feedback that sticks only to the facts.

Reese, Dave, eddiel and 1 other person like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

well I already paid to send it back. they said they would refund me what I paid but not the price of shipping. what do I do now?

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Give ebay a call and explain the situation. Chances are, if you're still within the 30 day claim window they'll probably refund your return postage as a courtesy even if they don't ask the seller to do it.

Paypal also offer to cover return postage. There's a process and there are certain criteria you have to meet e.g. submit copy of postage receipt, tracking details (or other info if you didn't send it via tracking). This could be an option if ebay isn't of any help. But I think ebay will sort you out as long as you're in that 30 day guarantee window.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

so the seller refunded my money for the item and deleted the transaction from ebay, at least on my end as I can no longer see it and it is not there to leave feedback, so what do I do to get my return shipping paid for?

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I still think ebay is your best bet. Give them a call and explain what happened. I find they can be quite helpful most of the time as long as you're in that 30 day guarantee window. I'd call them asap. Failing that, you might be able to get Paypal to pay for your return shipping if you kept the receipts from the post office and/or sent it with tracking. If you login to paypal and find the transaction you should see something like "Claim return postage" or something like that under transaction details.

But I would try ebay first, especially if you're still in that 30 day window.

In terms of them cancelling the item...does it not show up anywhere at all on your ebay page? Have you tried accessing it through any of the emails ebay sent you when you won the auction? Weird that you can't find it at all. I do remember this happened to me once but I swear I could still leave feedback. Maybe I'm just confusing it with something else though?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

I was able to find it but it no longer says anyone won the auction. it looks like the auction ended now when I look. I will call ebay. I can't find the receipt though. I have the tracking number though

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.