Scarface Deluxe Box SEt discontinued already?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawklord, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member Thread Starter

I just had a phone conversation with a friend who told me that this issue is already deleated. Future shop ordered 30 copies recieved 4 and were told there are no more. HMV's computers show it as deleated also. It would appear that this disc is very limited.

2. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

They are probably deleting this because Universal rolls out several new versions of Scarface (I assume you mean the 1983 film) w/ DTS on Sept 30. They are releasing separate widescreen and fullscreen DVDs and a "gift box" version that will combine the 1983 and 1932 movies.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Sergei,

The Box set includes the remastered 2-disc DVD along with an exclusive to the set DVD of the Howard Hawks/Paul Muni Scarface from the 30s. It was released on the same day as the widescreen and full screen 2-disc remasters.

I bet they make more, but because of the elaborate packaging, it will take a long time for orders to be filled.

Regards,

4. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

My mistake - I somehow thought Hawklord meant the "original" Universal collector's edition DVD in his post. I have done a search on the gift box, and it does appear to be in short supply - Amazon has a waiting period of 9 to 13 days for the box @ $42; Amazon.ca says it will ship in 24 hrs. though. If that is the gift set with both films, it does look nice:

[​IMG]

At the few other online retailers that seem to have it, the set is listed much higher than at both Amazons, which is strange, 'cause usually it is the other way round.

5. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but it pains me to think that I'd have to buy the 1983 DePalma film just to be able to see the 1932 Hawks film, which I think is superior....

6. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I can agree with most of that, but I do really enjoy the '83 one too. The thing that upsets me the most is that I just want my DVDs in plain old DVD cases to go on my shelf with my DVDs. I don't want their stupid tins and boxes!:realmad:

7. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, it's a shame one has to buy the gift set to get both movies. I will buy the gift set because I want both films, but the box and all the trinkets will go into deep storage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.