"Scary" movies you don't find remotely scary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thievius, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Anyone that says the "Exorcist" wasn't scary is probably too young to remember it when it came out as a theater release. As a young boy of 7 when it was released, even the trailers scared the living crap out of me.

"The Shining" had moments of tension that were extraordinary but it really wasn't a very scary movie. It's still a favorite of mine due to Kubrick being the director.

"Scary" is what you're willing to believe and the setting in where you experience it. Even something as lame as "Ghost Adventurers" can be scary with the right set and setting (to quote Leary, I believe).

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Exorcist is the funniest film of all time.

Girl with a spinning head spits up green soup and has a potty mouth. Hilarious.

Now something like Jaws is still scary.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think this thread needs a subhed "And what movies DID you find scary?"

4. Scary is so relative just like what we appreciate in music. All a director can do is prime the pump but what scares us is very individual some times. Some people are scared of clowns for example. I just find them creepy but they don't scare me.

5. For me "The Exorcist" is about the dread filled atmosphere in the film , psychological terror and the fact that everything is largely ordinary for Reagn. It's watching the transition from normal little girl to monster. The set pieces are precisely that and, at the time, they were designed to shock. "Alien" is structured in a very similar fashion but is much more stylish. There's a difference between what are truly horror films vs. what I characterize as films about terror--terror is knowing there's something bad behind the door. Horror is opening it and seeing it. There are bits and pieces that end up in both and it's all about set up and execution.

Larry Mc and GodShifter like this.
  6. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I'm calling BS on this.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. With your avatar I wouldn't ever argue with you! LOL>

GodShifter and LitHum05 like this.
  8. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

It Follows.

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have never found The Exorcist scary. Perhaps if I was religious (don't want to start a religious discussion) I might think differently and can see how people who are find it terrifying. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alien, Jaws, The Thing are what scared me on first viewing.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Folks in tbe early thirties must have sht themselves, no doubt scared the bejesus, and in b&w as well.

Larry Mc likes this.
  11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

They scared me when I was a kid in the 60's and saw these on Saturday Matinees at the movie theater for three 7UP caps. :)

(Dracula and the Wolfman were the scariest, I always figured I could out run the other two)

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Out run"Yeah, the Mummy was a hoot.
    Wrapped in toilet paper, snatch a strip to use if your trapped in a bathroom. :)

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Black and white is naturally scarier.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you can't believe in the possibility of demonic possession, then The Exorcist won't work. My question is: How can you believe in the possibility of The Thing?

15. alexpop

The money shot is Linda Blair's swiveling head and blasphemous language, parodied now. But, all the films you list have dated equally.

16. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I saw The Exorcist the first time when I was 10. It never scared me but it is still my favorite horror film

17. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Hellraiser, the first one from 1987. I never saw it until a few years ago. What a piece of crap. It's like something a high school kid would write as a first novel, thinking it's really "deep" and "disturbing". The whole thing tries to be so serious, but it's laughable.

18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.