Scat Records to reissue Guided By Voices 'Bee Thousand' LP + more!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob C, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Probably an early reunion album when gbv had their own download site including concert downloads. Since that got shuttered I think 320 is perfectly fine.

2. danner

danner Forum Resident

I remember when they used to include a CD copy with purchases from Rockathon. I guess that got to be a little costly.

3. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My local store told me today that these LPs are NOT coming out on the 20th now. Pressing problems etc. Not sure how accurate that is? Nor did he say when he expected them. Just not on the 20th... fyi...

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I just pre-ordered my copy from Music Direct. I also wrote Robert @ Scat and he confirmed the downloadable files will be 320 kbps. It's a shame the remastered Bee Thousand won't be available lossless but it is what it is.

I'll be happy to have Bee Thousand pressed at RTI to match my copies of Alien Lanes & Under the Bushes... that were also pressed there.

5. danner

danner Forum Resident

Interesting. I just received a shipping confirmation from Newbury. Maybe their version is pressed somewhere else.

6. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I always wondered that about the Newbury pressings... Amazon has it listed as the 27th now too I noticed.

7. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Looks like those that ordered from Newbury got theirs in the mail today. Why am I just now hearing about this particular pressing :(

8. danner

danner Forum Resident

It literally sold out in a couple of hours. I'm just lucky I was near a computer when I got the email alert from Newbury.

9. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

GBV mailing list states the release date is now 1/28 (no explanation) and had the following item: Vinyl reissues of Isolation Drills and Do The Collapse will also be coming this March

10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I got my copy today (black vinyl). I just compared the corresponding tracks to my Directors Cut B1000 version of the songs and I heard very little (if any) improvement. If I had to say for sure, I would go for the Directors Cut for best quality vs the same songs on the new reissue...however the Directors Cut puts the songs in a different track list and you don't get the sequencing which leads to a different vibe overall.

Overall, don't expect a major revelation or quality improvement...never heard the original pressing so can't comment on improvements over the first release. Owning this more for a completest than actually someone who would play this on a regular basis.

I'm a bigger fan of Under the Bushes, Mag Earwig and Universal Truths and Cycles which DO sound stellar on vinyl.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  11. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm guessing you have the Newbury clear pressing?

I have the Director's Cut, but it's a little like listening to one of the Suitcase sets, imo. I just want to hear the original songs in their original sequencing on vinyl. :agree:

xdawg likes this.
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

No I edited my posting to say I have the black pressing, I paid a tad extra for two day shipping...

While I agree that getting the original sequencing is the goal here, I don't think anyone on this planet could possible make this "sound" any better...which is part of the charm I suppose. However, I am one of the weird GBV fans who started liking them more in hifi as Do the Collapse was the first record I bought by the band....and I still like it no matter how many people don't care for it.

In all honesty, I never listened to the original B1000 before so my opinion might be slightly skewed. But my Sota Sapphire and Vandersteens are extremely unforgiving...my rig didn't make this release shine any brighter.

13. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

Maybe I'm missing something, but the idea of a "better sounding" reissue on this release seems a bit pointless. Isn't the lower fidelity part of its charm/intent? I'll always love the awkward edit from the acoustic intro to the electric riff of Tractor Rape Train, and the fact that it sounds like it was recorded on the portable tape recorder I had as a grade school kid is not a negative for me. That's part of the experience. The lack of a sonic upgrade is not a dealbreaker for me. Even if it does sound a bit better than the original, how much better do we really think it can get given the circumstances of the recording (which I assume were sparse, though I admit I know very little detail of the methods/circumstances).

That being said, I'm all in for a vinyl copy of this. Have always wanted one. Can't wait to get mine :cheers:

Edit: cyclistsb beat me to it on the last point. Though I first heard GBV with their less than hi-fi releases, so its part of my identification with the group.

14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I agree...just trying to give an objective view of the release as the claim was made it sounded much better than the original release. I cannot comment on that but wanted to give feedback on what I do have which was the Directors Cut. Also, it doesn't sound like it was only recorded on a portable tape recorder....it sounds like a portable tape recorder, under the back chair of the room after a few beers were spilt on it :)

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  15. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

Ha, quite right. and I love it.

16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I never had expectations of ANY gbv sounding any better than what I already had in cd for 15-20 years. I don't go for lofi for lofi sake, but what it forced me to do was stop paying attn to how anything was recorded or performed, the song was now everything. The fun of having it on vinyl is it's sequenced perfect as an a side and b side and best listened to in that manner. Glad it's back on vinyl at a reasonable price.

Pop_Zeus and levi like this.
  17. danner

danner Forum Resident

I actually haven't even had the chance to bust open my Newbury copy yet, but I was never really expecting this album to sound any better than the original. I don't know what they could do with it beyond some EQ tweaks here and there. I'm just happy that people won't have to spend $100 on eBay to get a vinyl copy of B1000 anymore.

serge, levi, crassus515 and 1 other person like this.
  18. levi

I was beginning to wonder if I would ever find a copy at a reasonable price. It's such an iconic record for the band, for Pollard, and for '90s lo-fi music in general. I'm really excited about having it, at last.

19. danner

danner Forum Resident

Now they just need to re-release Pollard and Gillard's Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department. I love that album, but a vinyl copy costs an arm and a leg. That and the Circus Devils' Pinball Mars are the two that I feel like I'll never score on vinyl.

cubbykat and levi like this.
  20. levi

Are those on Scat also, Danner? God, it's hard enough to keep up with all of Bob's labels ... let alone his albums.

xdawg likes this.
  21. danner

danner Forum Resident

They were both on the Fading Captain label. One was limited to 1,000 copies and the other only 500. I've done a good job collecting most of the essential Pollard stuff on vinyl (barring originals of the pre-Vampire on Titus stuff, of course--Box is good enough for me), but I feel like those two are going to be tough to get for less than $100. I'm also kicking myself for not grabbing Live in Daytron when it came out. That thing got pricy quick.

elvismcdouglas likes this.
  22. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I hope to get a new copy. I actually scored an original red vinyl edition of Bee Thousand last year for only $30 but there is some surface noise on the vinyl. I know it is a lo fi recording and some surface noise shouldn't bother me, but it kind of does.

23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The new version I purchased was free of surface noise....

scotth likes this.
  24. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

can't wait to pick this up (hopefully it reaches stores this week, as it should)

25. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

they should have made this the 21st anniversary. buy the record and you get a free six pack of their beer lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.