Schiit Magni 2 and Modi 2 (with Uber options for both) now available

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gloomrider, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The Magni 2 adds a gain switch (!) and the Uber adds more analog performance.

The Modi 2 Uber has three inputs (USB, TOSLINK, S/PDIF coax) and the Modi 2 Uber supports sampling rates to 192kHz (the non-Uber only goes to 96kHz).

[​IMG]

In theory, A pretty rockin' headphone setup can be had for $300!

2. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Wow. The uber version has USB and optical, too. Looks good. And the gain switch. Don't know if I would have upgraded to the bifrost uber and Valhalla 2 if these had been available to replace my magni modi stack.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Jeesh......now I feel like dumping my Magni/Modi for these new models. Probably a dumb question, but is there anything stopping me from continuing to use the old version of the Magni headphone amp with the new Modi 2 Uber?

Too bad Schiit doesn't offer a retrofit program.

4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Just got the Magni Uber and am using it with the old Modi. The Modi one was no slouch. It still isn't.

Oh, got it backwards.

5. irong

irong Forum Resident

I've been browsing Schiit website yesterday evening and I'm very impressed by their line of products and the good prices, especially this Magni 2 headphone amp. I'm using the headphone jack from my Marantz stereo receiver right now, and it sounds all right (quite better than other headphone jacks I've heard actually), but there must be room for improvement. It's more of a concern lately since we had a baby and my wife and the baby are home all the time, I listen to headphones most of the time.

Would a Magni 2 be an improvement? I'm using Beyer DT-880 and Senns HD-439 (mostly the former). How much better would the Asgaard be?

And last question: Anyone tried the Vali at 119$ with tube? They seems to say it's more of a toy but it looks like a very interesting one...

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I just got shipment of a Magni 2 Uber to power some Sennheiser HD 650s I had been playing through the headphone jack of an old cheapo Sony receiver. Listening for the first time now. To be honest, call me a heathen, but I don't hear much difference. Consider getting your wife and baby something for Valentine's Day instead.
    Hope this helps.

Albireo and irong like this.
  7. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

I have a Modi on the PI and love it. Their stuff is well built and works well.
    Prices aren't bad either.
    Looks like an upgrade might be coming.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has been in receipt of these two new models and have any new opinions.

I am curious about the following:

1) Any direct comparisons between the 1st and 2nd gen models in terms of sound quality
    2) How successful has everyone been in outputting TRUE 24/192 with the MODI 2, using the Schiit drivers on a Windows system via USB
    3) Is anyone using the Gen 2 Modi with a Gen 1 Magni or vice/versa? Anything stopping someone from only upgrading one component at a time, to the next gen??

JQ

9. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Modi 2 is basically the exact same as Modi 1 but with 24/192 support through their driver. There should be no difference with the same material. If you don't need 24/192 support, Modi 1 is fine. The Uber version is only needed if you want optical and coax connections.

Magni 2 supposedly sounds less harsh and better than Magni 1, but I doubt it's that much difference. It does have a gain switch, though, and the Uber version is apparently more powerful and has a better power supply. If I were buying one, I'd probably go for a Magni 2 Uber over a regular Magni 2 or a discounted Magni 1.

Installing the driver was painless. It worked through Foobar with WASAPI and ASIO outputs. The Modi family of DACs have been the most reliable I've ever used in this regard.

There is nothing stopping you from mixing and matching.

If it were my money, I'd get the following:

- Magni 2 Uber
    - Modi 2
    - Wyrd

I have the Wyrd with my Modi 2, and it really does help USB issues. I think it also improves the sound, but it could just be placebo. Try to find the Wyrd used, though. I think it's a little pricey at $100.

10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thank you very, very much!

My main requirement is being able to play 24/192 through Foobar (wasapi event) and not have to keep changing to primary sound driver mode (which plays the file ostensibly downsampled to 24/96.) So maybe for starters I will get the Modi 2 for my 24/192 needs.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Modi 2 Uber does indeed add optical and coax, but Schiit primarily users the "uber" distinction on its DACs to refer to a beefed up analog output section, which is worth paying for IMO - I owned a Modi 1 and feel there's an improvement. The Modi 1 isn't made anymore either, of course.

I use the Vali vs. the Magni so I can't comment on that part except to say the Vali is great.

12. james

james Summon The Queen

The Vali with HD600s is f'n great.

Will be buying a Modi optical for the bedside drawer headphone setup

13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Ehhhhhhh...I doubt the difference is worth the 50% price increase, especially when that money can go to a Wyrd. But then again the modi is so damn cheap for how good it is that the extra money isn't that big of a deal.

You can still buy the modi 1 for $80 from Schiit. It's a closeout item.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Like I said, I've owned both versions of the Modi and have no problem paying $50 for the improvement. Schiit doesn't do fluff, you can see the physical differences in larger capacitors, etc. Seems a lot more tangible then the Wyrd, which seems designed to solve problems you're either having or you're not.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Question for those with the Modi 2 Uber:

I just took delivery today. The instruction manual shows a switch on the back next to the USB input e/s which I assume to be expert and standard. However, mine has no such switch - does yours?

Also, can you look at the coax input on the back - is yours cocked to one side or did mine get bent/damaged in shipping?

Thanks in advance.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The only switch on the back of my Modi 2 Uber is the power switch. Not sure what you're thinking with expert vs. standard?

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Another question - please let me know if anyone else had this condition:

I installed the windows vista drivers from the Schiit page. My laptop recognizes the Modi 2 etc etc. However, when I use Wasapi Event in Foobar, I get a "Unrecoverable Playback Invalid Argument" message. "Event" worked fine with my Modi 1. However, switching Foobar to Wasapi Push - everything works fine. Should I care? Am I losing anything by selecting "push" vs "event?" Also - if Wasapi is playing 24/192 files without error - is it a safe bet I am truly getting the full resolution?

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The non Uber Modi 2 has an expert and a standard switch on the back and the UBER does not...this is what confused me because Schiit gave me the non Uber Modi 2 owners manual and it shows and mentions the switch. That's the deal.

19. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Anyone with the Modi Uber mind answering some questions?

I was planning on getting an Modi for streaming and digital from my headless man mini, but I wanted to know two things:

a) if I use the wall-wart, will I be able to turn the Modi on and off even when it's plugged into USB, or will USB buspower "override" the wall-wart power and keep it on all the time? I've got the old Modi at work, and have been using it at home on weekends, but the light on it is SUUUUUUUUPER BRIIIIIGHT—which I know I can just cover with a sticker, but I'd rather be able to switch it on and off anyway, as I only rarely listen to digital.

b) if I have it plugged into the Mac via USB, and also have it plugged into something else via optical or coax, will the Modi be able to smart-switch between whichever one is giving it signal? I'm curious to try bypassing the DAC in my CD player just to see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.