Schiit Pre-amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gradier, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradier

Gradier Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Anyone using the Schiit Saga or Freya? I would be interested in your comments. Looking for something to run between my DAC and studio monitors (to replace my old Hafler 100).

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you may want to edit the spelling in the thread title...

3. Gradier

Gradier Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes, got it. Thanks....

SHU likes this.
  4. Fr8dog3510

Fr8dog3510 Forum Resident

I've had the Saga for about a month. It's a keeper. I'm listening now to some studio monitors from Emotiva. Passive mode is a little more laid back than the tube buffer. My normal speakers are mmg's. They sound great. In the middle of doing a mod on them.
    Didn't think I needed a Freya. I have a balanced amp, but not a balanced source so I didn't bother with it. I may still get it.
    The Saga replaced an Emotiva DC-1. Not sure if it's better or just a different sound. I like what I'm hearing. I also bought a Schiit Mimby at the same time.

5. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

How is the remote on the Saga? (with some vintage equipment and an increasing laziness....sadly a big reason for my consideration of the Saga)

6. Fr8dog3510

Simple, nothing special, but gets the job done. I like it. I prefer it over the large clunky metal ones. I may be in the minority there. [​IMG]

beercanchicken and Leigh like this.
  7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is the pot clicking? Are the increments smooth enough when regulated both with the remote and manually or there is a bit of a jump in volume?

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Straighten that tube up!

irender likes this.
  9. Fr8dog3510

Something clicks in there. I think it's cool. Never had a volume control like this one. It's smooth enough for me either way.
    I had an Emotiva DC-1 that moved in increments of .25. Took forever. Also had an Emo USP-1. Sold it because of how the volume jumped using the remote. Not sure I needed the balanced option in the Freya.

10. Fr8dog3510

Funny.

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

:D

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

After reading the manual I have the following questions:
    1. Although you can choose between passive and tube buffer, you can't power it up without the tube inserted, even if you intend to use it passive, right?
    2. The tube burns out even when you use the Saga in passive mode, so you don't prolong its lifespan during passive use, no? I mean the clock is ticking for the tube anyway, whether you use it as a buffer or not?

13. Send Schiit an email.....they answer very quickly.

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm using my Valhalla 2 as a preamp (w/Modi 2 multi-bit DAC). It made a substantial difference from using the computer DAC/preamp to my Creative T40 speakers.

15. Fr8dog3510

Saga works in Passive mode without the tube. I'm listening now. I thought I read somewhere where Jason said it did that. Tried it myself.
    When the tube is installed. it burns all of the time.

16. beercanchicken

Is that a Squeezebox? Those intrigue me, I dont know why they'd discontinue. Just too ahead of the time?

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the Freya? That looks like a seriously nice preamp for the money.

18. Fr8dog3510

Yes, it's the Touch. Best $250.00 I've spent in audio. I've had it for about 4 or 5 years. I did the mod so it plays 24/192. I'll use it until dies. I don't know why they discontinued it. There's probably info on that in the Slim Devices Forum.
    I don't see anything out there for that kind of money. I'll probably try a Rasberry PI 3 and control it from my phone or a tablet. I think you can do that.
    May have been ahead of it's time. I remember being at Frys and the salesman in the computer dept. were all excited about the first laptop they just received that had a touchscreen. I told them about how my touch has touch screen and it didn't seem to register.
    I just use the remote.

beercanchicken likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Do you still enjoy the Saga? I'm thinking of trying one of these, if just for schiits and grins. I'm assembling a budget system for my bedroom and wondering if this would allow for some small tone adjustments by rolling the single tube.

20. Fr8dog3510

The Saga is a keeper. There's a Saga tube rolling blog at Head-Fi. Go to Equipment Forums and click on "Cables, Power, Tweaks".

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thanks!

22. beercanchicken

Do you run vinyl through the Saga? Or is that just a digital setup?

23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I use a Saga in my main rig and it is terrific. It's very transparent, even in tube mode. A steal for how good it is.

k4rstar likes this.
  24. Fr8dog3510

Funny you ask. Been listening to vinyl all day. First time (at any length) since I received the Saga. Sounds good. Using an Art DJ preamp. May have to upgrade that now.
    I stopped listening to vinyl because it sounded so bad with the Saga. Long story short, it was a crossover that didn't play nice with the Saga. Almost sent it back. I put my other preamp back in the system and didn't hook up the crossover. For some reason I switched backed to the Saga without the crossover and vinyl sounded better. Digital didn't seem to be affected. Not sure why. Last week I bought a hi pass filter from HSU. Works great.

25. MIA2RDU

MIA2RDU Well-Known Member

Is the Saga on a headphone setup or do you use the vinyl playback through speakers as well? If you do speakers, what do you plug the Saga into to drive the speakers? Forgive my ignorance. Relatively new to all this and very new to separate components instead of an integrated stereo. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.