Schiit's First Phono Preamp - The $129 "Mani"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Jun 3, 2014.

1. skriefal

skriefal Forum Resident

The 59dB MC gain is also a little low for any cartridge with an output less than 0.5mV. It looks to be primarily intended as a MM pre-amp. And hopefully a good one at its price.

2. It's really hard to get more gain than this cleanly with IC's, even really quiet ones.

kfringe likes this.
  3. So I just pulled the trigger on one. I don't have a MC cart so all my listening will have to be with my trusty Shure V15mkIV. I didn't hide either; they know they are sending it to Lounge Audio :winkgrin:. I will be checking channel matching and noise with my test gear.

CarterB and Stone Turntable like this.
  4. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Let us know what you find and what you think. Inquiring minds want to know. :D

5. I will. They won't actually ship the unit for about a week.

6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Forum Resident

7. If I were Schiit I would be sending ThurstonX some phono cables and shorting RCA plugs to help him out with de-bugging. Similar things have happened with Lounge and it always ended up being location and quality of phono cables.

8. The Schiit has shipped! :D

kfringe likes this.
  9. Careful saying that out loud if you have a lisp.

10. :laugh::biglaugh:

11. Schiit just dropped from the mail
    [​IMG]

utahusker and T'mershi Duween like this.
  12. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Forum Resident

Hopefully your Schiit doesn't stink!

morinix likes this.
  13. I'm examining the Schiit as we speak.

14. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Anybody want to talk me out of ordering this piece of Schitt?

48db and 47k ohms for a 10X5 sound right?

15. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Detailed review asap!
    Do you have any first impressions to share? Looking forward to your review! :)

16. I took it apart last night to see the guts. I will be posting more about it tonight.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Forum Resident

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Wonder how this compares to the cambridge audio azur 651p, I am borrowing one right now and not very impressed honestly for $229 over my AS-500 built in phono stage.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Forum Resident

As much as I want to love the Mani, this positive review (like many of the Audiophiliac's write-ups) is unhelpfully over-the-top and promotional/advertorial in tone — and his wildly slobbery and uncalled-for "LPs sound better than CDs" riff is just going to alienate a lot of digital-phile people for no good reason. Predictably the comments immediately devolved into a nasty digital-vs.-analog flame war.

Still looking forward to a credible and well-reasoned review.

bluemooze, Colin M, liv3evil and 2 others like this.
  20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

My feelings exactly about this "review." I learned nothing about the Mani.

Guttenberg is like two different people -- sometimes his pieces are thoughtful and well-reasoned, and other times they're shameless clickbait hackery.

21. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

More often the latter.

22. I did some testing on it yesterday. Kind of a crazy power supply design. Also it has a 10uf wima film capacitor in line with the output. I understand wanting to be safe but this is not really needed and is a costly part. The channel matching of the RIAA is spot on. I was getting some weird popcorn noise in one channel but that is with the PCB out of the case. I am going to put it back together and see.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    gloomrider likes this.
  23. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

Would you mind checking the input loading on the MC setting? I'm curious if it's really 47Ω.

24. Sure, I'll check. :)

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  25. Morinix's comments about the Mani are going to be more informative and credible and well-reasoned than Guttenberg's review. Which is ironic given that morinix has a conflict of interest.

T'mershi Duween and Gumboo like this.