"Schindler's List" a timeless movie, here is an original document from Schindler..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't think Mr. Spielberg had any idea that the movie was going to be a "hit" and would have such an impact. Remember, he told Universal that this movie would just break even but he felt like he had to make it anyway.

I think he was surprised when it became so popular. I also think he doesn't want to go back and revisit it for a Director's Cut, going through all that again. Who would? Too emotional.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm in agreement, Steve, particularly since like you I have had a child since first viewing SL. A lot of movies that might have been a tear jerker before now leave me emotionally devastated and haunted; none more than SL or The Pianist.

I question Spielberg's ability to do that. His film Munich, which should have been a celebration of the lives of the athletes became a muddled morality mess, where the protagonist ultimately rejected Israel as a homeland. I don't know whether that's the film Spielberg set out to make, or whether he was facing pressure from certain forces in Hollywood.

3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I doubt very much that there are many anti-Israel factions within Hollywood's upper echelons that would have made that call; quite the opposite in fact.

4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Same with "Saving Private Ryan". Spielberg was very specific. Either no commercials and uncut, or it
    can't be shown. Seems to me it was a while before it showed up on TV (NBC?), but it WAS uncut when shown. (Try to imagine a feminine hygiene commercial during the long opening D-Day landing on Omaha Beach......).

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That movie was complicated, but I loved the scene where the main fellow tells his superior officer something to the effect that "You can't order me to do anything! I DON'T EXIST!"

6. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

My father's first cousin was on Schindler's List. The real one, not the movie. His name was Julius Merkrebs. One of the copies of Schindler's List is at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. I saw his name written in the book. He met his future wife in Schindler's factory. After the war, they emigrated to America. I remember them well.

My father fought the Nazis at the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. On one occasion, his commanding officer's head was blown off, just a few feet away.
    I was born 9 years after he came back from the war. He never told me about any of his war experiences. I suppose that it was too traumatic for him. But after he died, while cleaning out my parents' house, I found three scrapbooks of love letters he wrote my mother from over there, around 600 letters in all. They were married just before he shipped out, and he probably thought he'd never see her again.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Wow, thanks for sharing!

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes, thanks for that story.

9. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

One of only 2 films that made me cry. A harrowing topic but very important. I thought Spielberg told the story in a very tasteful manner.

10. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The Schindler Museum (based in the enamel factory) in Krakow is well worth a visit. It tells the entire story of the German (and subsequently Russian) occupation of Poland, rather than concentrating on the Holocaust.

It's actually far more of a sobering experience than Auschwitz which, particularly Auschwitz 1, tends to deal in guided emotional reactions (and pays very little attention to non-Jewish victims).

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

For those interested in a quite "unsentimental" Holocaust film made with incredible skill, check out The Counterfeiters

Right up there with Schindler's List and The Pianist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.