Sci-Fi: Asimov: I Robot & Foundation..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Have the Asimov works, I Robot or any of the "Foundation" series been made into movies?

With advances in computer generated animation more of the great Sci-Fi works should be brought to the screen.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

A film adaptation of I Robot is due out later this year, starring Will Smith. The coming attractions look only so-so.

3. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

The coming attractions for I Robot look like they COMPLETELY change the story, including the robots' adherence to the Three Laws.

4. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

The whole point of I Robot was the laying down of the laws for the future of man and mans interaction with robots. That would be a serious breach of everything that is held sacrosanct in the area of Science Fiction and Science Fact. Too much creative license is used when sci fi classics are made into movies these days. Ringworld is being done as a mini series for The Sci Fi channel and they better not mess with that one either. There are so many books that could be made into really good movies. Going to stop here before I go of on a rant. lol

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

Not sure if I'm following you here? :confused:

re: Foundation, it's a great read, but a very difficult story to pull off as a feature film. We were actually trying to develop this over at Tri-Star several years ago (when there was a Tri-Star), and I believe the film rights are still with Sony.

6. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

The three laws of robotics,

A robot may not injure a human, or allow a human to be injured.
    A robot must follow any order given by a human that doesn't conflict with the First Law.
    A robot must protect itself unless that would conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Issac Asimov wrote the anti-rouge robot series. It was not about robots being mad or evil but good and benevolent. To go against what he wrote would be a bad thing is all. But we know how hollywood thinks and unless there is some evil machine that man has to overcome it will still cost 100 million dollars to make but will not be the mega blockbuster that is craved by the studio suits. So much of what the early sci fi writers wrote has in some ways happened. Issac Asimov wrote with a true understanding of the sciences and blended science fact with his science fiction. No biggie I can make perfect sense in my head but the words don't always get read the way I intended. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.