DCC Archive Sckott - any nifty tube action lately???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Hey Sckott, any tube action out yer way? Pick up any neat-o tubes or old equipment that needs reviving? I'm getting lured by a cool looking kit at Antique Soundlab for a mono 10 watt tube amp for about a 100 clams (120 with a cage) - man, that sucker is calling me!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Someone on Ebay posted a Knight tube-oriented tuner, which was a very old kit tuner circa 1966? ($5.00) The unit was in top shape, except the FM was "silent". Twas only a 12AT7 that was bad, and I went to someone who I lovingly called "Obi-Wahn Tuboli", an older man, highly intelligent retiree from the Air Force. He fixed tube radios for both the AF and for a living back in the day.

The kit was simple, and the board was written with full notation, which tubes go where, which resisters, caps. Imagine me wih a volt meter and Obi with a 16-gage twisted wire over his head in a bi-pole, makiking himself an antenna, moving raidially until we found a signal. We also took turns resoldering some joints. It was done with some crappy resin solder, making it look like a soupy mess, plus it looked like the ***** used a soldering *gun*.

I took him out to a very nice place in town, possibly the best burger I've ever seen. I had clam chowder, and we laughed about how his wife coulnd't figure out how to secure a bracket on the house with an American Flag. You had to be there, but the way he wrote on a napkin explained how she tried, and how she said over and over "The damn screws won't reach". I think we laughed so hard we made most patrons feel curious of what was so funny.

The bill was worth 2 radio tubes and a good laugh. (12AT7 and a 6AU6 I think..)

The better news was, I scarfed a perfect 12AU7 Mullard from it, and put in a simple Amperex I bought for $1. Now I have a matching pair for a Doc' Bottlehead "foreplay" which is still on it's 3rd week. In 12-13 days, I should have it. I intend to use the Knight tuner (wired with Cat5 strand as antenna), CD player and the Dynaco I fixed up with the Foreplay. Will make a nice little stereo for the bunker downstairs.

Coming, I have a KLH 8" sub someone left for dead for $40. I bet it's just a bad driver, and I hope the power supply is okay.

I'll tell ya though, on the Knight, you'd be VERY VERY suprised just how it made simple AM stations sound like a million bucks! Wow.

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Scott,

Did you order a stock foreplay or "the whole deal" from Bottlehead? I ordered "the whole deal" and a pair of paramours the first week of September and haven't received them yet.

On the other hand, a lot has happened in the world since then, and I'm not panicking yet.

On audioasylum.com Doc Bottlehead said they're in catch up mode.

4. Sckott

Yes they are, but Debby (I think that's her name) and Doc are really good about getting back to ya as far as when kits ship. I ordered the basic one "toobless" because I've now got 2 12AU7 Mullards and a 6-pack of 6189s, among other NOS used, so getting 2 more tubes would be silly. I saved a whopping $4!!

I bet it's the trannys that's find hard to get sometimes, and yeah they don't stockpile much, so... They said it's a 3-4 week wait for me, and I know if I ordered 10/14 or so, they gave me a fair assumption on ETA.
    September though, I'd email them. They'll get back to ya.

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

5. Sckott

6. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Scott,
    You made a comment of A.M. radio stations sounding like a million bucks and it brought a childhood memory back to me...

When my grandmother passed away in 1980 I came into possession of an all tube A.M. radio from her home which I listened to the Philadelphia Phillies beat the K.C. Royals in the series in the fall of that year. I don't remember the model number and I don't have the radio anymore, but there was a lot of ambience listening to a ballgame from that radio.

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Does anyone know if the AV-8 uses a pentode wired as a triode or it a true single ended triode amp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.