Scooby Doo needs to come to Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luke The Drifter, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident Thread Starter

My daughter is now old enough to be into Scooby.

The episodes could use remastering/restoration, and they need to release all of the pre-Scrappy episodes. Apparently, they can't get rights to some of the New Scooby Doo Movies and I believe 8 episodes from 1978 have not been released on DVD. Also, to get 16 episodes from 1976, you have to buy Dynomutt.

A Blu Ray release, containing ALL pre-Scrappy episodes, that are cleaned up would seem like a no-brainer.

This series is by far the most popular children's television cartoon of all time.

wayne66 and seed_drill like this.
  2. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'd probably buy it.

3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I've been waiting for it, because my original "Where Are You?" season 1 and 2 DVD box went to my 4 yr old Niece, more or less "permanently" if you know what I mean. Then the bus set came out but that seemed pricey. So, yes, totally waiting for the Blu-Ray!!

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Anyone know the issue on the missing New Scooby Doo Movies? Hell, I wouldn't even mind the Scrappy episodes from the season with the whole gang. It's the ones with just Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy that sucked moldy Scooby snax.

5. Luke The Drifter

Basically, the guest stars either would not agree to appear, or the cost was prohibitive.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I would love it if they would also include the pilot concept "Are You Scared?" That would be cool to see.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Has anyone else gotten into Mystery Incorporated? I didn't see a specific thread on the last series, but my daughter and I are watching it, and I'm totally into it. Darker than any of the other series. I like the continuing story arc. Less thrilled about making Fred a trap obsessed monomaniac, and Shaggy dumber than in the original. But, overall, the best thing since the original.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I use to watch it, but I like Jonny Quest better. That was like a real show.

trem two likes this.
  9. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Rather than doing live action movies like they did they should have made a Scooby Doo movie in stop motion. Something similiar to the Paranorman movie I think would have looked much better.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I know Zombie Island was good, but which of the other direct to video Scooby-Doo movies are worth checking out?

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Camp Scare was really good if you prefer the ones that lean a bit more towards the spooky mystery side of the show than the humorous side. Also Witches Ghost.

Mark

12. Luke The Drifter

We enjoyed it for what it was.

Here is what I don't get. They have not returned to the original Scooby Doo formula since 1978.

Using modern animation, and modern features takes away from what Scooby is about.

If they would make one series with the old animation style (and keep it creepy and dark), and set it in the original show's time period, I think it would be a hit again.

They don't need to re-invent the wheel. They need to make a run of episodes like the classic 65 1/2 hour shows.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Even as cut rate as the late 70s animation was, I don't think they can afford to do it again. Hand animation is too expensive for cable TV. The upcoming series has them simply traveling around and solving mysteries the summer after they finish high school. However, it has the absolute worst character design EVER put on Scooby-Doo. They look a Family Guy spoof of Scooby-Doo! :realmad:

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

15. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would be very happy to get the 65 half hour episodes and 24 hour long movies that are all pre Scrappy Doo. Basically everything they did from 1969-78. I have the original series which ran for 2 seasons (25 episodes) and I have the third season which ran a couple of years later(16 episodes). I do not have the Movies which was too expensive for me and was not complete. If it was all 24 episodes I would have eventually got it. I do not know why the other episodes have not been released. It seems like a no brainer to me. As Captain Picard said "Make it so!"

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Luke the Drifter explained it above. It's about the rights.

wayne66 likes this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

At the very least, a Blu of the 65 1/2 hour episodes pre-Scrappy are a no-brainer.

16 of those you can only get with the Dynomutt set.

8 more (from 1976 I believe) are not on DVD at all.

Even if they didn't spring for the Scooby Doo Movies rights, a Blu Ray of these 65 episodes (which also happen to be the best, stretching it to an hour made it too watered down) would sale like hotcakes. This is the most popular kids cartoon of all time.

wayne66 likes this.
  18. Mark Wilson

While I haven't totally warmed up to the animation style, I'm fairly optimistic the stories should be pretty good, as the show is being developed and written by the same team that created Phineas & Ferb. Of all the new cartoons CN has released the past several years, P&F has been far-and-away the only one I can say I really liked, and I thought it was quite witty and well written. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

No, it won't be our dad's Scooby-Doo, but I have hopes it will be a good show overall.

Mark

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I like Phineas & Ferb, but they're Disney, not Cartoon Network. Unfortunately, my daughter doesn't like them. I don't think they're vulgar enough for her tastes.

20. Mark Wilson

Oh that's right thanks. But, it is the same team nonetheless.

I've chatted with one of them on a Scooby forum a couple times and he seems very serious about creating a good show and bringing quality writing to the program.

Mark

seed_drill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.