Scorcese Presents "Red White & Blues" The CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

I just picked this up yesterday and am completely absorbed in it. This is one of the finest blues compilations I have heard and I am very happy to report that it sounds wonderful! Somehow, I missed this episode of the series (directed by Mike Figgis, it concentrated primarily on British blues) but look forward to seeing it when I pick up the DVDs (are they out yet by the way? I haven't seen them in stores).

The disc itself is a mix of old and new. The Louie Armstrong track "Back O' Town Blues" is just great! I need to look into getting some more Satchmo for my collection. It was recorded live in 1947 and offers some very beautiful musicianship (who does that first solo? Is it Louie or Bobby Hackett?).

The Big Bill Broonzy song "Black Brown and White Blues" sounds as if it were recorded yesterday and is unusual in that it doesnt' really adhere to a common blues structure yet the subject matter is pure blues.

Among the highlights of this disc are the new recordings featuring Jeff Beck. A long time Beck admirer, I admit to being a little disappointed with some of Jeff's recent techno offerings but these cuts reminded me why he will always be one my guitar heroes. All of the new cuts with Jeff were recorded in March 2002 and they easily stand up next to some of the other classic blues recordings on this disc. If you have longed to just hear Jeff "plug in and play some blues" a la "Truth" or "Beck O La", you need to hear this disc. "Cry Me A River" features Lulu on lead vocals, Peter King on saxophone (the guy is amazing) and Jeff Beck on guitar. It is one of the finest pieces of music that I have heard this year. After listening to it once, I had to keep backing the track up to listen again...and again. Lulu is an amazing singer and she makes this song her own.

When I first heard that Tom Jones was a part of this episode of the series, I admit my confusion...("what the heck it he doing in a blues series?") but there is no denying it...the guy can sing and he was and is clearly influenced by blues. One listen to his version of the Ray Charles classic "Hard Times" with Jeff Beck on lead is all I needed to realize that Tom can sing the blues. The first time I heard this song was via Clapton's "Journeyman" album and this version is just as good. I love Jeff's tone! It sounds almost like Jeff is playing a Gibson hollow body on this track. (maybe an ES-335?)

Finally, let me add that the mastering on the entire disc is excellent! It was mastered by Gavin Lurssen at the Mastering Lab in Hollywood. I am not familiar with his name but the guy certainly knows what he is doing (at least on this disc!)

At the risk of making this post any longer, I will say that if you like blues, British blues, and Jeff Beck in particular, this disc needs to be in your home.

Full track listing for "Red White and Blues"

1. Tom Jones & Jeff Beck - Going Down Slow Listen Listen Listen
    2. Louis Armstrong & His All Stars - Back O' Town Blues (live) Listen Listen Listen
    3. Dixie Four - St. Louis Man Listen Listen Listen
    4. Big Bill Broonzy - Black, Brown, and White Blues Listen Listen Listen
    5. Sister Rosetta Tharpe with Marie Knight - Up Above My Head I hear Music In Te Air Listen Listen Listen
    6. The Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group - Rock Island Line
    7. Lulu with Jeff Beck - Cry me A River
    8. Miles Davis - Generique
    9. Tom Jones with Jeff Beck - Love Letters
    10. Humphrey Lyttelton - Bad Penny Blues
    11. Little Joe Cook (aka Chris Farlowe) - Stormy Monday Blues, parts 1 & 2
    12. Tom Jones & Jeff Beck - Hard Times
    13. Ray Charles - Tell The Truth (live)
    14. Spencer Davis Group - Hey Darling
    15. Fleetwood Mac - Shake Your Money Maker
    16. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton - Have You Heard
    17. Cream - Crossroads
    18. Jeff Beck - Rollin & Tumblin
    19. Tom Jones - Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    20. Lulu with Jeff Beck - Drown In My Own Tears

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

The DVD set is out, I got it at BB with a first week sale price of $80 ($130 list) plus a BB exclusive DVD (w/one exclusive BB King cut). Each disc has some bonus material. On Red, White, & Blues there are full length performances of Lulu/Jeff Beck -Cry Me River (Tom Jones does it in the actual film), Pete King-Lush Life, Jeff Beck-Nadia, Jon Cleary-piano improvisation, Band Rehearsal-blues jam, Band rehearsal-Who's Sorry Now?, and Mike Figgis piano jam. The DVD has a stereo and a 5.1 mix. In addition to Tom Jones, Jeff Beck, and Lulu, who all acquit themselves very well, Van Morrison does some great stuff.

3. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

It was my favorite episode. Getting to see the inside of Abbey Road #2 made me REALLY enjoy it!! Other than the Boxset, the only soundtrack disc I've picked up so far. Lulu's rendition of Drown In My Own Tears is worth the price alone. I just wonder why none of the Van Morrison tracks made the cut? (possibly contractual?)

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.