Scorpions Album by Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Has anyone done this yet? It would be interesting to compare the early years (Roth) with the post- Roth band.

2. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

sounds good to me !!! btw, I go by the Nakano Sun Plaza almost every day, you can see it from the train, I always make sure I
    face that direction...this is where they recorded Tokyo Tapes, every day I see it I think of die (classic, not lame-0) Scorpionen...!

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'd be interested.

Scorpions was one of the bands I
    considered doing before I decided on doing Black Sabbath. I could make it to Love at First Sting and I'd be out, though.

4. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Up to Crazy World would be good. I would be lost doing the 90’s I didn’t care too much for any of it however I do think their last album Sting of the Tail was a great return to glory.

5. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Do It, Do It, Do It

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  6. vinyl diehard

I think the Scorpions have enough strong material to do this for. No different than Black Sabbath really. Both had their highs and lows.

SpinningInfinity and GodShifter like this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'm in!

With the best masterings of each album on CD and LP, reviews, etc

:goodie:

8. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Yes! I listened to Lonesome Crow this morning! I'm done at Blackout though.:hide:

9. vinyl diehard

I'll start this off tomorrow after I get home. I'll also add pics as I go of my own titles, and will invite forum members to do the same. We will add comments on fav mastering, etc.

Clanceman, jeffreybh and ponkine like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Hurry, I'm through Crow and Rainbow already.

11. vinyl diehard

Good! You will be familar with the tunes. Make notes!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

'Fly To The Rainbow' has to be one of the most criminally overlooked/underrated 70s rock classic. And I don't know why

'This is My Song' or 'Speedy's Coming' alone are woth the album :righton:

13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I'm in for this one too...love Scorpions and I'll go right through to the latest cd!

4stringking73 likes this.
  14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I'll go to Blackout, barely, and then I'm out...I'll post scans of the Japan Uli years cds w/ obis..
    except Virgin Killer, but you'll see some of it, Hello Kitty will replace the girl....:shh:

Evan Guest likes this.
  15. vinyl diehard

About the band to start. From Wiki:

Scorpions are a German rock band formed in 1965. Since the band's inception, their musical style has ranged from hard rock to heavy metal. The band's only constant member is guitarist Rudolf Schenker, although Klaus Meine has been lead singer for all their studio albums. They are known for their 1980s rock anthem "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and many singles, such as "No One Like You, Send Me an Angel, Still Loving You, and Wind of Change. The band was ranked No. 46 on VH1's Greatest Artists of Hard Rock program. "Rock You Like a Hurricane" is also No. 18 on VH1's list of the 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs.
    The band is one of the world's best selling bands of all time, with claims of sales around 75 million to 100 million records worldwide.

Studio Albums:

Lonesome Crow (1972)
    Fly to the Rainbow (1974)
    Virgin Killer (1975)
    Taken by Forc (1977)
    Lovedrive (1979)
    Animal Magnetism (1980)
    Blackout (1982)
    Love at First Sting (1984)
    Savage Amusement (1988)
    Crazy World (1990)
    Face the heat (1993)
    Pure Instinct (1996)
    Eye II Eye (1999)
    Moment of Glory (2000)
    Unbreakable (2004)
    Humanity: Hour I (2007)
    Sting in the Tail (2010)
    Comeblack (2011)

Live Albums:

Tokyo Tapes (1978)
    World Wide Live (1985)
    Live Bites (1995)
    Live 2011 - Get Your Sting and Blackout (2011)
    MTV Unplugged - Live in Athens (2013)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    rockadelic, shaboo and ponkine like this.
  16. vinyl diehard

20140304_204758.jpg 20140304_192403.jpg 20140304_192344.jpg

Lonesome Crow is the debut album by the German heavy metal band Scorpions and released in 1972.
    It is the band's only album with lead guitarist Michael Schenker as a full-time member. He left not long after to join UFO and was replaced by Ulrich Roth on later albums. Schenker, however, would rejoin the band briefly during the recording and touring of 1979's Lovedrive.

Of the album, vocalist Meine said:

“With Lonesome Crow, we were just a young band trying to find our way, trying to shape an artistic style to find the Scorpions DNA. There was a ballad with "In Search of the Peace of Mind", and a psychedelic rocker with the title track, "I'm Goin' Mad", [which] was a great rocker with Michael Schenker playing great solos. We were just a young band with talented guys, with no idea on where to go from here.
    For the subsequent album, Fly to the Rainbow, we brought in Uli Roth, who had a Hendrix influence, and Rudolf and I became a songwriter team. When Matthias Jabs joined the band, we found our style, fast riffs but great melodies, along with the power ballads.”
    The album was used as the soundtrack to the German anti-drug movie Das Kalte Paradies.
    The album had several different cover art sleeves and was re-titled Action for some releases. The 1982 German re-issue cover art was created by the artist Rodney Matthews.

Side One
    1. I’m Goin’ Mad (4:53)
    2. It All Depends (3:30)
    3. Leave Me (5:06)
    4. In Search of the Peace of Mind (4:59)

Side Two
    1. Inheritance (4:41)
    2. Action (3:56)
    3. Lonesome Crow (13:31)

Scorpions recorded "Action" with the name "The Hunters".

Band Members:
    Klaus Meine – vocals
    Michael Schenker – lead guitar, backing vocals
    Rudolf Schenker – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
    Lothar Heimberg – bass guitar, backing vocals
    Wolfgang Dziony – drums, percussion, backing vocals

17. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Did not know that the rhythm section was done by strangers, the LP has a certain charme and for the time it was not bad but honestly I have nothing much good to say about it today. Bits and pieces are decent esp. the guitars on the long title track but the songwriting sucks and worst of all I get no feeling regarding the album. Neither fish nor flesh..but maybe I am too harsh on it. My 2nd hand Vinyl copy is not in good condition..After all it was a start trying to find a direction , same goes for the next album, just that they had at least a few good tunes on that AND thy started to sound good LIVE - ( I saw them live in 1973 with those twin V-guitars - more show than substance but promising...)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    SpinningInfinity likes this.
  18. Baron Von Talbot

BTW.
    The WIKI article misses out IN TRANCE , one of the very early great Scorpions albums from around 1976 or so ...

MrBigShow likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"In Search of the Peace of Mind" was the only song they kept in their live set after Ulrich Roth joined the band. He gave them some confidence and direction as well as combining his band Dawn Road with Meine & R. Schenker. Longtime bass player, Francis Buchholz, was a member of Dawn Road first.

Lonesome Crow was a band still trying to find themselves.

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I love Scorpions

The first ever "album" I've ever had was a compilation 'Best of Rockers N' Ballads'. I was given that around 1992
    Soon afterwards, 'Crazy World' on cassette

A couple of years later I received my first ever Scorps CD 'Best of Scorpions Vol2' (yes, Vol1 came much later!)
    I discovered the Uli Jon Roth Years and it was a shocking experience. Couldn't believe how heavy they were.

And I didn't even know they started in the 70s (internet didn't arrive yet)

Ironically, one of the last albums I've ever heard was 'Lonesome Crow'

:wave:

21. Baron Von Talbot

I am listening to the compilation HOT & HEAVY now and though released in 1983 it concentrates mainly on the first Scorpions and the Uli Roth years. As the title suggests this is some heavy stuff and I like it as much as Tokyo Tapes. No weak track aboard . Polar Nights being my favorite but really all of these 10 songs are strong..
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/hot-heavy-mw0000095002

GodShifter likes this.
  22. vinyl diehard

Your are right! I totally missed that. Should kick myself as it is one of my favorite albums.

23. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

"In Trance" is missing, which was 1975. "Virgin Killer" was 1976.

24. vinyl diehard

[quote="GodShifter, post: 10154132, member: 32355]
    Lonesome Crow was a band still trying to find themselves.[/quote]

I find the same. I really hear a Tony Iommi influence on the way the guitar work is played.

25. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I find the same. I really hear a Tony Iommi influence on the way the guitar work is played.[/quote]

A lot of "Lonesome Crow" kind of reminds me of side two of "Black Sabbath", but far less focused. There is a late 60s jamming vibe blended with heavy Krautrock of the period (Jane, early Grobschnitt, Amon Duul II, etc) that is kind of appealing, but the lack of strong tunes is fairly evident, IMO. I remember playing "I'm Goin' Mad" for a friend who is a fan of the Scorpions, but doesn't really know much about their 70s stuff. I asked him to guess who the band was and before the vocals kicked in, he guessed Traffic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.