Scott Pelley out at 'CBS Evening News'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

audiomixer likes this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Hmmm. I wonder who they have in mind to replace

3. AKA

I don't know who CBS has in their roster who could garner the ratings increase they're looking for. The only person they have who might — MIGHT — get eyeballs is Norah O'Donnell.

They'll probably have to hire from outside. I doubt they'll want to mess with CBS This Morning.

4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Could this be the new anchor?....

[​IMG]

Mr. H, Steve...O, Daryl M and 9 others like this.
  5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Oh Goody a used car salemen

audiomixer, Kyhl and The Panda like this.
  6. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Rather, Brokaw, Jennings....the last time anyone really cared about evening news anchors. Lester Holt, Scott Pelley, David Muir (had to look him up)? Not exactly household names. Times have changed, no one watches these news shows like they used to.

7. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

It's a non-issue......:righton:

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

:o I found Scott too dry when he started, but grew to really like him.
    What a jerk, NBC, way to get rid of him.

9. AKA

I thought he was great. He was my favorite of the three.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

11. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

:D:cool:

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

He can helicopter in.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why is he leaving all of a sudden?

14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

You make a lot of sense. CBS, I believe, has been #3 for 20 some years. I'm not certain who could bounce the ratings up unless CBS rethought the whole evening news program. I believe the news director and Pelley have been butting heads for a while.

Down the road when the baby boomers start "going home" (I'm trying to be as polite as I can), don't be surprised the OTR networks ( If everything is not on demand by then) eliminate the Evening News.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, I can think of one other TV personality that CBS could get very affordably to do the 6:30 network news...

[​IMG]

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Reports state that this has been in the works since last December - doesn't get along with his boss (and the guy who hired him for anchor is long gone) and his ratings are bad (last amongst the three network evening newscasts). It's probably happening now because May sweeps (ratings) results have come in and are not good for Pelly (last straw), and summer is almost here (probably a temporary anchor - or numerous anchors - will step in until the new tv season starts in September). Pelly is still with '60 Minutes', btw.

Although some reports have CBS clearly out his office while he's out of town, one report I read stated that Pelly himself ordered his things moved from his Evening News office to his '60 Minutes' office, in a building across the street. (Yes, he actually has two offices.)

Can't say that I'll miss him. It will be a relief not to watch him pretentiously fidget with his eye glasses.

There hasn't been a good anchor since Peter Jennings. And although they try to disguise anchors as reporters, anchors are really just glorified news readers these days.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

IMO, Jennings was the last great news anchor. I never was a Dan Rather-Tom Brokaw person. I always thought CNN's Bernard Shaw was an outstanding anchor.

Rooster_Ties, zebop and driverdrummer like this.
  18. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Well, he is going to head up 60 Minutes. My guess is either Charlie Rose or Norah O'Donnell will get his old spot if they look from within. It wouldn't be that far fetched to see Brian Williams end up there, as he used to work for WCBS in NY at one point.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Boom!

MLutthans likes this.
  20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I agree. :shrug:

I wonder how much of their problem is the local news that leads into the national news. Our local CBS news is dreadful to the point it is almost comical to watch them trip up. Example, a couple weeks while reporting on a tornado outbreak they referenced a tornado sounding like a train, a train's whistle.
    :buttkick:

While I liked Scott Pelley, I had a tough time watching the local news ahead of him, which often put me on a different channel. When you are doing evening chores with the news in the background, I rarely stop to change the channel when the show changes.

21. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I miss Peter Jennings too. His marathon coverage of 9/11 was amazing.

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I liked Scott. Cannot stand David Muir & The ABC Nightly News. Too sensational.

23. MikaelaArsenault

I bet it was.

24. MikaelaArsenault

I don't mind him to be honest with you.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's the way he's forced to present the news in "the-sky-is-falling" approach.

Aftermath, DRM and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.