"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Fully acknowledging that it could be a disaster, this is the summer film to which I have been looking forward moreso than any others except for Toy Story 3 and Inception.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one as well.

4. vince

Hope he takes a tip from Matthew Vaughn; "Kick-***" was 'teenage-american', but it's 'R' rating made the movie a cut above! So,it's a good sign that THIS one rated R, too!

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Can Michael Cera ever not play Michael Cera? I loved him in Arrested Development but he's seemed to be exactly the same in every role he's played since.

6. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I read the first graphic novel and thought it'd make a better movie than in print. There's a lot talky moments and musical performances that'd translate better to moving images than stills. Plus, I'm not a fan of manga or manga-influenced work (the writer's from Seattle, IIRC). But the plot was intriguing, and anything by Edgar Wright is a must-see.

Mark

7. agentalbert

I really like the casting of the seven eveil ex's, particularly Cera's old Arrested Development girlfriend, "Anne Veal".

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The trailer played before Inception last night and didn't get much of a buzz from the sold out Times Square audience. Looks like another Kick *** with typical "trying to be witty" dialog.

9. vince

Just saw a trailer for this on regular TV: now, it's rated PG-13, and..... now, I don't know.

10. agentalbert

Not sure that's a bad thing. It doesn't look like a racy movie, and I'm not sure that would make it better. And the violence in it looks far more cartoonish than the surprisingly graphic violence in Kick-*** that earned it an R rating.

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Having seen the trailer a few times, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Looks like it's got some potential, that probably isn't realized. It's piqued my interest enough to see.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No. He tried in "Youth in Revolt" and failed. I'm fine with some one-note actors - I don't demand that every actor have a huge range - but Cera is just damned annoying.

I expect "Pilgrim" to be awful, and only partly due to Cera. I may have to see it just to find out if it's as obnoxious as it looks!

13. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

That's a really negative attitude Oatsdad! :shake:

I went to the midnight showing here in Austin last night and it was fantastic! There was an earlier "exclusive premier" that the cast were at, so while waiting in line both Michael Cera and Jason Schwartzman walked right past me! That was pretty cool.

Before the movie started director Edgar Wright came out and thanked everybody for coming, said he hoped we all enjoyed it, and said since we were the first paying audience we deserved a high-five! So he went through the entire audience and gave us high-fives! That was pretty awesome.

The movie itself was incredibly FUN. Most of the wit from the books translated quite well and the casting was very accurate. I have to admit, I'm not a Cera lover either, but I thought he did a pretty good job in the movie. Not a huge departure or anything, but I think it helped a lot that he had excellent source material to draw from.

The screenwriters were extremely faithful to the first 3 books, but from there it sped up and a lot of b-plot from the other 3 books was cut for the sake of pacing and keeping it a decent movie length. But nothing really stood out as being completely against the thrust of the story and character arcs from the books.

I've never seen video game material handled so well in a movie, let alone in such a FUN way. Seriously, the graphics for the video game effects are great, and fit really well into the story. This was one aspect I was concerned could be really strange in a live action movie, but they pulled it off to great effect. The movie is very arresting visually. They even use soundbytes from games like Mario and Zelda. It was a perfect homage to the 8bit & 16bit era of games.

The soundtrack was very organic and fit brilliantly into the movie. The instrumental score was done by Nigel Godrich and the original songs from Scott Pilgrim's band were based on the song titles from the books, but composed and performed by BECK! He really nailed the feeling and sound of a group of kids in a garage rock band. I'm really looking forward to picking up the soundtrack.

Overall, I would highly recommend this as a great summer movie to most people. Now, I will warn that if you didn't grow up on video games and didn't play Nintendo and Super Nintendo, some of the references might be lost on you, but just consider that icing on the cake if you do. If not, it still stands as a hilarious and action-packed ORIGINAL summer movie.

I think I may go see it again this weekend... :goodie:

14. Oatsdad

Yeah - so what? Am I not entitled to think something looks awful? I don't like Cera and the trailer makes the movie look super-hyperactive and obnoxious...

15. Inertiatic-Wrist

should I also get off your lawn? :laugh:

But seriously, look past the Cera hate and it's highly entertaining and original film.

16. Oatsdad

I'll see it eventually, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. And maybe it's not as obnoxious as the trailers make it look. It just presents itself as a film in constant motion, with little visual gimmicks everywhere at all times - it looks fatiguing! :shrug:

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Trailer looks crazy but should be fun to watch..

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I liked the quirky-movie quirky bits in between the action bits, but I don't think they gelled well together. For me, the action scenes would pretty much drag things to a halt, and that was when the audience around me seemed to lose interest. Then it was back to quirky and funny. Then stoney silence during more fight scene, then . . .

19. Inertiatic-Wrist

Funny, the audience I was in cheered during each fight. They were really into the action and erupted in elation each time an Evil Ex exploded into coins.

20. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Probably won't go to see it but they have been plugging rotten with TV ads over here.

21. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

Exactly. I saw the trailer and said "oh big surprise he's playing a stammering wimpy nerd. what a stretch"

22. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

i hear ya... i can't hang with that same ol' ****.

23. Brakeman

Brakeman New Member

cera's shtick is getting old.

24. Inertiatic-Wrist

Did anyone see it over the weekend?

Thoughts from someone who doesn't have staunch prejudgements?

The trailers do NOT do this movie justice at all.

25. It also looks like a kiddie movie to me. Can't see that this would have much appeal for anyone who's been out of high school for more than a decade, but who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.