"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I liked it. Nice cast and some funny lines. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is damn sexy.

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The blu-ray is defective.

After about 2 minutes on pause, it will cut to the Universal screen, then you can't get back into the movie. You have to literally restart everything and restart the disc and the menus and the sections/movie.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My copy didn't have that problem. I did pause the movie at one point and that Universal screen comes on but once I hit "enter" on my PS3 remote, the movie started right back up.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I thought ALL Universal titles did that. Very annoying if you don't remember that the "enter" button is the only button that gets you back on track. It seems like almost any other button will reboot the disc.

5. jfall

jfall Forum Resident

Well this is out on HBO and I just saw it today for the first time and loved it. Very creative and very well done. I had never heard of the movie so saw it 'cold' and as you say, that is the way to see it.

BTW never 'read' a graphic novel and never played video games (between 1980 and 2006 anyway) and while I didn't pick up every reference, it wasn't necessary to find the film thoroughly entertaining.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

being a gamer helps.:)

7. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

So does being from Toronto, as the film is a bit of a love letter to the city.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, I'm neither a gamer, nor from Toronto. In fact I've never really played a video or computer game, nor ever been in Toronto. On top of that, I'm 55. I thought this was a brilliant, innovative film. I enjoyed it five times more than I enjoyed Inception.

9. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the film, but it's not something I'd own or even watch again soon.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I saw it in the theaters, I saw it twice when friends have rented the Blu-Ray, and I bought a copy of the Blu-Ray last week, and I'll view it soon. I really liked it! Shwartzman as the villain was the perfect choice (in my opinion; I'm a big fan). That sort of cemented the film as a favorite.

11. jfall

jfall Forum Resident

I actually watched all or part of it 3 times this weekend and want to see it again. It is full of clever little bits, I really like the edits. They jump to something unexpected over and over. I'm sure it'll get old, but it is very unusual for me to want to see a movie several times so close together.

12. shane

shane Active Member

I'm not a gamer or into comic books or anything but I thought was a great film. Very innovative and creative way to tell and show a story.

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

A lot of people had trouble "getting" this film and even I had some problems with it, but as much as I hate to name drop, Joe Dante himself recently told me that he thinks this will be considered a classic ten years from now. It's an incredibly imaginative film that really might be considered ahead of its time.

14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Watching it right now. Innovative, fun, and pretty darn good.

John K.

15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It was ok but I don't think I'll be watching it again anytime soon.

16. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I preferred that other Cera's film, Nick and Norah.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is that the one where he played the mumbly-mouth introverted nerdy kid? :D

18. Claudio Dirani

Nick and Norahs infinite playlist, that's the one.

The gay band and the girl "who always throw up in her favourite places".

19. Oatsdad

I know what movie you meant - I was just making a joke based on the (pretty much accurate) notion that Cera plays the same role in every film... :)

20. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

^ Or the one where he kills zombies?

Oh wait, that's the other mumbly-mouth introverted nerdy kid that "started" Facebock :cheers:

21. Oatsdad

Who has actually proven that he can do something OTHER than mumble and stare at his shoes!

I did initially dismiss Eisenberg as a Cera Clone. I first took notice of him in "Adventureland", where he really did just do the whole Cera thing.

He still had some of that in "Zombieland", but I thought he showed a broader talent base than one-dimensional Cera. From my review: "Despite my predisposition to dislike Eisenberg, I had no problems with him here. I can’t quite say I dig his work in the movie, but his nerdy stammer fits the character well enough, and he makes Columbus a substantial enough personality to impress. At least I can believe Eisenberg’s Columbus as a good zombie killer, while it’s impossible to accept that the perpetually annoying Cera could even shoot a gun."

And then there was "Social Network", where Eisenberg left behind Cera, presumably once and for all. The pupil has become the master! :D

22. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

^ Very true!

23. Claudio Dirani

Indeed, that's true, though folks seem to dig him. More than that, it
    seems he plays himself all the time :D

24. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Count me as one of the unfortunate many that didn't get it, although I really wanted to like it given the praise it has received in some circles. I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time on BD with basically zero prior knowledge of the film...I only knew that it starred Michael Cera and had comic book origins. I should mention that I have never been a heavy gamer by any means, but I spent some quality time with NES and SNES back in their heyday. Yet I was mind-numblingly bored through most of the movie and just didn't care what was going to happen, even though the occasional game reference (such as the "Link To The Past" music cue) brought a smile of recognition.

My reaction was so different than those who have sung its praises that it caused me to ponder for a good bit on why it didn't work for me. I think it came down to a couple of core problems:
    - While it can be fun to play a videogame, there is nothing more boring to me than watching someone else play...and that's essentially the construct of "Pilgrim". Once I caught on to the concept that we were seeing his life through his mind-filter as a game, then I was looking for something to care about and just couldn't find it, which brings me to my next problem...
    - In an outlandish fantasy premise, it's important to establish the "rules" of the world the characters are in so that we know the dangers, goals, etc. and can establish a bond with the characters through their journey. Otherwise, if anything is possible, there are no stakes and nothing to lure us into caring. The same could be said of a videogame. "Pilgrim" failed to establish the rules of the game early on, so I could never get a sense of what the hero or villains could or couldn't do, what would hurt them, etc. It just ended up being a series of well-staged over-the-top fight scenes (albeit with clever effects).

Having said that, I do appreciate and give credit to the filmmakers for trying something different and some clever moments and very impressive effects. I would rather see someone try something different and fail than another paint-by-numbers rom-com or doomsday sci-fi epic. I wonder if this movie might have worked better as a short subject.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love the guy!...his literal expression is most welcomed...I never tire of it.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.