"Scrubs" - 8th Season, now on ABC.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. I wonder if this means a whole new season could be possible?

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

From the looks of it, ABC wants an 18-episode order.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Scrubs to ABC?

16mm still lives!

5. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

What has two thumbs and is encouraged by this news?

Bob Kelso.:edthumbs:

6. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

First Diff'rent Strokes, and now Scrubs?

I love this show, and have watched every episode, but I'm ready for it to end. It's been in decline for a while, but still worth watching. For a large ensemble, it's impressive they're retained every primary cast member. I can't see it improving any. It's run its course. Do the finale. Be thankful for 7 seasons, 6 of which had horrible ratings. Cherish The Todd.

7. butch

butch Senior Member

That makes sense since Scrubs is an ABC production and ABC has a policy of broadcasting mostly homegrown shows,so that Disney(ABC) profits instead of another studio!

8. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I just discovered this show on Comedy Central. I really like it and don't know how I missed it while it was on NBC.

9. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

:goodie:

Yay!! More Blonde Doctor!!! :love:

sarah-chalke.jpg

10. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Completely, totally agree. It would be so nice to see a good show go out while it was still on top.

11. I dunno; I don't think it's slipped any and would certainly welcome an 8th season. Sure, it's never had great ratings, but I think it's one of those shows that gets a niche demographic that could be appealing to advertisers, and if ABC had all the rights they might be more motivated to market it properly.

Having said that though: if the writers have come up with a good way to wind down the show and close off various plot threads, I wouldn't want to see the show kept alive artificially.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's a shame that this never did that great in the ratings.

I watch it here in the UK. Most channels only have a few seasons so you do see the same shows over and over again but they are always funny.

It was well written and well acted. I guess it wasn't commercial enough.

Eddie

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There are still a goodly number of shows shot in 16mm. Two that my wife and I watch regularly are "Monk" and "Psych". Both are shot in super 16mm, which I believe is the case with Scrubs as well. I wonder if ABC will let Scrubs do its post-production in 16:9 HD?

Regards,

14. Wanna know why the last season finaly started getting good ratings? They started airing replays on Comedy Central last year. I never watched the show before that, but now I, and all of my friends, are hooked.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I also have been watching the reruns and really like the show. Kind of like the Family Guy I never started watching it till it came in reruns... Now I love the show..

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I agree, the show hasn't slipped, even though it has morphed from time to time. People have to keep in mind, you CANNOT be the same show three seasons in, that you were the first year - the viewer simply expects more. Keep doing the same thing, and you are accused of being derivative. Change the narrative by either giving it an underlying meta-plot or elevating the quirks to the point where EVERYBODY gets it...and they accuse you of having "lost the magic". And besides, a creator works on a show for a number of years, they suddenly want a one-joke premise to eventually "mean something", as a way of justifying their involvement over a number of years.

And yes, the creator has asserted he has a way of ending it to his satisfaction...which should be enough for us (unless, of course, it involves the cast sitting around in a jail cell, kvetching about the buttons on Costanza's shirt :nyah:).

17. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

I'm usuallly very forgiving of my favorite shows - meaning I stick with them or stick up for them - but "Scrubs" has slipped no doubt. JD is too often a caricature compared to before, albeit the child storyline has helped. Before that, the writers had the goofy/serious seesaw way out of whack.

18. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Meh. Sure, 'Scrubs' is funny, but it's the same funny week after week after week. I will watch it if it's on, but I have never felt the desire to try to catch it.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The producers make the call on what format to shoot the show in. At this point, ABC won't rock the boat -- the show looks OK in S16, and they'll let it keep going. All ABC is worried about is ratings and money. S16mm is an inexpensive format and works fine for TV as far as the budget goes.

Personally, speaking as somebody who's mastered 16mm & 35mm for 30 years, my feeling nowadays is that 16mm looks like crap. I think they're much better off shooting in 3-perf 35mm or just shooting on HDCam. If you light digital cameras carefully, I think their images look sharper, steadier, and have a lot less noise than 16mm. Where film negative always has the edge is exposure range, but I think the latest digital cameras (like the Viper used on Benjamin Button) look fine in the hands of a great DP.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

AGAIN with the 2-episodes-at-a-time thing! :shrug:

22. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

Sorry to Crap here but ABC made a bonehead mistake of cancelling Pushing Daisies and bringing Scrubs over when it was on life support. IMO Daisies brought a much needed bit of imaginative writing to a bland televison universe we have now. Too many quality shows are being cancelled prematurely these days. Partial blame can go to the writers strike but most of the blame has to go to corporate greed. Quality TV shows(on commercial TV) are vanishing in front of our very eyes. I'm really getting sick of this.....Sorry for the rant.

Carry on

23. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Tonight's episodes got great reviews from the Chicago Tribune.

As far as Scrubs being on life support, I think that's inaccurate. It has a very loyal fanbase that followed it all over the place during its years of mismanagement and neglect at NBC. I'm betting that the show will get better ratings now that it's on a network that has a vested financial interest in its success, and is promoting it thusly. And if it does, it looks like the show will live on in some form next season. So, I think ABC is actually making a sound decision by bringing the show over.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I have no doubt that they will still be shooting in super 16mm, but since it is native 16:9, I hope they will post-produce in high-def so that it can be broadcast that way. It will not look as good as 35mm sourced stuff, but it should look better than it did in standard def video on NBC.

Regards,

25. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I watched Daisies a few times. It wasn't about "corporate greed." I don't even know how that could be faulted for this show failing. I loved the creator's previous show, Wonderfalls but just could not stand this show, and I wasn't alone. I found it grating, plain and simple. So did many others, apparently. It sure wasn't that people didn't hear about it - ads were all over the place, fans rallied for it, it got decent, if mixed, reviews. But the ratings weren't there and ABC pulled the plug. That's what happens. It's frustrating for those that love a show but I've had it happen to more beloved shows than I care to think about. Freaks And Geeks and Arrested Development are my most painful losses. And Scrubs was very nearly among them, too.

Scrubs will be on life support after this season when they attempt to carry on without the original creator and without Zack Braff. If they can managed to pull off a good show, I'm all for it, but the odds are against it. I am, however, thrilled that it is getting a respectable send off that NBC just couldn't bring itself to give the show last season. And NBC wonders why they're struggling . . . maybe they should look at how they're treating the shows they have. A show that's been on for 7 seasons should know that it's going to at least get a chance to have a proper ending, unlike Scrubs, who they wouldn't give the word to about renewal until it was too late to write an actual finale. Even Fox was thoughtful enough to allow Arrested Development to wind down its storylines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.