"Scrubs": An appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by artfromtex, Jan 20, 2016.

1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Actually, Comedy Central has been showing SIX episodes daily starting at 6:00 AM plus two episodes
    on Saturday morning and two on Sunday morning. They're showing all nine seasons, and have now
    started over and are back to the first season again. Plus, the picture quality is great now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Interesting. I'll have to check it out now that the picture quality has improved. I'll DVR some episodes to have handy even though I have all the DVDs.

Probably just me, but if I'm playing something off the DVR I don't feel like I have to pay as close attention as I do if I've put on a DVD. Sometimes, I just want something good on while I'm on my laptop or whatever.

3. sixtiesstereo

I should mention that during each half hour episode, Comedy Central puts in a HUGE number of
    commercials, actually more than I've ever seen on any other channel. Plus, after each episode's
    opening scene and opening credits, they ALWAYS run that long ASPCA infomercial. I usually change
    the channel while it's running and then return after six minutes. Be prepared (although since you'll
    be DVRing it, you can at least skip the ads......).

4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

It's been awhile since I watched the DVDs, but IIRC most episodes barely made it to 21 minutes without cuts. Looks like I'll be wearing out the FF button on my remote...

5. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Loved this show....until...the last season or two. Something was lacking for me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Well, most of the original cast was lacking (as in not there) the final season...

This should've been the last three minutes of Scrubs:

7. As far as I'm concerned it was the final three minutes, seeing as that's what it was intended to be and Season 9 was a de-facto spinoff (and IIRC didn't it have a subtitle something like Med School or The New Class?).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'm almost through S2 on my DVD re-watch, and didn't realize all these years that the second season contained most of my favorite guest stars: Heather Locklear, Gift Shop Girl (Sarah Lancaster), and Tasty Coma Wife (Amy Smart), plus Jay Mohr as Dr. Cox's former friend and colleague and Tom Cavanagh's first appearance as J.D.'s brother. Also, Colin Hay from Men at Work.

Other than Heather Graham's lengthy stint in S4 and whenever Julianna Margulies appeared as a ball-busting attorney for a couple episodes, I'm blanking on other notable guest stars (though I'm sure I'm missing some). Elizabeth Banks came along when the show had already lost something off its fastball.

9. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

There was John Ritter, who played JD's father in a couple episodes early in the shows' run (his character was killed off after Ritter's untimely death).

Plus there was Brendan Frasier who played Dr. Cox's friend and brother-in-law who had a pretty good arc in the show.

And if I remember right, I think Dick Van Dyke also appeared in an episode.

10. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I forgot Brendan Fraser's first two eps were this year. Damn, S2 was awesome! And, yes, Dick Van Dyke was also in S2 playing a doctor who didn't keep up with current medical developments.

Can't remember if John Ritter was in S1 or S2, but it was jarring how puffy and just plain unhealthy he looked here only five or six years after his guest spot on NewsRadio (which I recently saw again).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

A question for those who can recall the first time they saw the S3 episode where Brendan Fraser's character, Ben, dies: were you surprised by the ending, or did you catch on earlier in the episode that he was dead and existing only in Dr. Cox's denial-fueled imagination? I re-watched the episode last night, and other than the comment early in the episode where Ben tells Dr. Cox that he'll have his Polaroid camera with him until the day he dies, I still didn't pick up on any clues that would give away the shocker ending.

Then, I found this A.V. Club piece where they got in touch with one of the episode's writers, who discussed the construction of the episode and how they determined the right number of clues so as not to give away the ending too early:

Scrubs: “My Porcelain God”/“My Screw Up”

One of the things the scriptwriter mentioned was kind of a :doh:moment when I re-re-watched (haha) it again last night--the fact that the whole time Ben is dead except in Dr. Cox's head he's actually NOT carrying around his camera anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

One of my favorite US sitcoms. Watched most of the episodes on TV and I have three seasons on DVD. I should complete my collection there.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Has anybody caught the SCRUBS reruns on IFC? It looks like a live soap opera episode, plus it's sped up A LOT. Unwatchable.

(Good to see IFC living up to its name by running indie films like SCRUBS.)

Shoes1916 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I noticed that too

Shoes1916 and MLutthans like this.
  15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I watched it some .
    I am surprised it ran 8 years.

artfromtex and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Loved it during its prime.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Tommy Jay

Tommy Jay Forum Resident

When I was laid up recuperating from a serious operation in 2009, I started watching reruns of Scrubs on a daily basis. It became the highlight of my long painful boring day. I would literally watch the minutes of the clock tick down until the show began.

It has had a fond place in my heart ever since and I always watch it when it pops up during my channel surfing. The absurdist comedy and pathos generated by the ever present medical dramas generated in a hospital setting always worked for me---although I agree the series started to lose its luster during the later years. The writing during its heyday is brilliant.

I also agree with everyone about the wonderful Sarah Chalke (love her as the mom on Rick & Morty!) and Heather Graham's arc on the show absolutely cemented my celebrity crush on her forever!

The whole cast was wonderful---- from the Chief of Staff to the Janitor and everyone else in between. Also, a great "bromance" between J.D. and Turk. I became a huge John McGinley fan because of this show.

I believe this is one of the all time underrated TV shows and it still holds up many years after it first ran.

18. Matthew Tate

it ran 9 years right?

19. sixtiesstereo

Technically, it ran for eight seasons. Bill Lawrence, the shows creator and driving force (and
    husband of Christa Miller who played Jordan) wanted to end it at the end of the eighth season.
    However, ABC wanted it to continue so it continued for one more season but without most
    of the regular cast. It focused on a new interns cast who simply weren't all that good.
    The best thing about the first episode of season 9 was that not only were JD and Elliott
    married, but she was pregnant with their first child. Since Sarah Chalke was also pregnant
    in real life, it worked well. But the rest of that final season really didn't work at all and
    most fans of the show (like myself) consider it an eight year show with a ninth year spin-off.

20. Matthew Tate

got it. thank you. I remember watching it until about 2010 which seemed like more than 8 seasons. that's why I said it

21. sixtiesstereo

Thought I'd add two more things. First, Neil Flynn, (the Janitor) literally ad-libed
    probably 90% of his lines. When it was time for a line, he made up something funny, and
    most of the time Bill Lawrence said great, let's keep it. Gives a whole different perspective
    when watching his scenes on the show. Amazing talent.
    Also, in 2018 the ENTIRE cast got together for a panel reunion to discuss the series and
    their years on the show. And it's absolutely hilarious but extremely informative. (And
    Sarah Chalk STILL looks sensational.) An hour long watch if you're a serious fan of the show....
    (Watch full screen if you can).

22. Matthew Tate

there was actually something recent too with a few cast members abot trying to locate certain items from the show

23. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

loved that episode My Old Lady in the 1st season, very touching.

24. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

JUST saw some episodes from the first season, and it holds up incredibly well.

25. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Some of the early first season episodes look kind of weird now - the very first looks like it was shot live on then hi-def tape, and that was distracting, and gave the show/s an awful kind of 80s sitcom look, but as I watched on, I either got used to it, or they were using a higher quality capture process, or both.

I always assumed it was shot on film, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Matthew Tate likes this.