"Scrubs" Is Back November 30th, But...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I think it already did.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yup. If it didn't last week it certainly did this week. Tonight was no better than a typical sitcom. Scrubs has always been so much better than that.

Why do the birth episodes always kill good shows? That's when I stopped watching Mad About You, Family Ties and The Cosby Show (that one wasn't a birth but they started to add all these new people to the show. It's the Oliver syndrome from Brady Bunch).

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I actually liked last night's episode. It was worth the 1/2 hour of my time just for JD's reason for being against adoption, Turk and JD's drumline dance, and Turk and JDs "wish sequence" with Carla's bag. Also, most typical sitcoms will not intercut their wacky birth sequences with a couple seriously discussing abortion...or appletinis.

Regards,

4. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

Last night was quite disappointing. I found 30 Rock a much funnier, enjoyable follow-up.

No preview for next week - they're on hiatus already, after two episodes?

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie Thread Starter

I think the whole "jump the shark" thing has long ago "jumped the shark" itself. Someone doesn't like a plotline, they immediately hop online somewhere and proclaim that a show has jumped.

Feels better getting that off my chest (haha). I will agree with the notion that babies on sitcoms are generally "jump the shark" situations, though. But, usage of that term has gotten ridiculous IMO.

As for last night, I thought it had its moments. Even the mediocre Scrubs episodes blow away other sitcoms. The Janitor Guy telling Carla on the phone that Turk was being unreasonable because he wouldn't let him cut off his arm to free him from the ice machine was priceless. And that bit with the dog retrieving Carla's overnight bag was great.

I had a problem with how casually the writers had J.D. and Kim decide whether they should have the baby or not. It was like they were discussing if they should keep an old couch or put it on the curb on garbage day. Yeah, let's flip a coin to decide whether or not we have the kid. O-Kay. Tasteless attempt at humor there, IMO.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

At least Scrubs is still better than ER. It was a mess last night too. Several opportunities to role your eyes.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The coin toss bit was in the context of saying "I wish it were this easy". I did not think it was all that tasteless in that the inherent subtext was that it was not. They kept trying to make the decision in a number of different ways, but around the fringes they were always aware that it was a much graver decision than they wanted to acknowledge. It was certainly way beyond anything with which JD's unicorn could help, and the Jesus statue certainly was not letting them off the hook. The arrival of Turk and Carla's baby forced them to acknowledge the reality of the situation and make a decision.

Regards,

8. The new shows seem a little forced and the fantasy sequences have now become part of the reality.
    As a big fan of the show, it seems to me that this should be the last season.

9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

You'd need a DVR with three tuners to make this happen...

10. Planbee

Man, Scrubs was great last night! Hopefully, they made a fan or two out of people that may have tuned in because CSI and Grey's Anatomy aired reruns. Doubtful, I know, but...

11. Planbee

12. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I found the link to the Charlie Brown Christmas through another website. It is really funny. What is the deal, though, of Scrubs not being shown in HD. Is this the only non-game show or non-reality show that is not in HD?

13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

People are becoming fans through syndication and other airings. It's true of myself, and a few other people I know.

Dan

14. Planbee

Anyone catch last night's musical episode? Great stuff! "Everything Comes Down To Poo." :D

Here's an article where Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence states that the show will be back next year--on ABC, if not NBC. He's been told not to write a finale this season.

15. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

I didn't catch it last night, so I hope you're right; I always see a "musical" episode as a sign that a show is dying a slow painful death.

16. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

When I see whatever show is having a "musical" episode I usually stay far away, but last night's Scrubs was hysterical!! It was done very well, and the songs (for the most part) were great.

If you want to see a few clips, go to http://www.thetvaddict.com/ and scroll about half-way down. They have the Poo song, Guy Love and Welcome to Sacred Heart.

17. live evil

live evil Senior Member

last night's show was one of the best single episodes of a sitcom that i've ever seen.
    i loved it.
    is it just me, or were all of the songs based on real broadway songs.
    many of them sounded very familiar.
    i know the one song was based on a grease song (my wife knows that movie by heart).

18. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I know it’s been a while sense anyone posted to this thread, but I felt obliged to give a shout out for this show. Tonight’s episode with the Laverne resolution proves to me why I appreciate this show so much. They border the line of sentimentality and reality and somehow in between all the wackiness they pull it off. I was genuinely moved. Kudos to a great show :righton:

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Why is Laverne leaving anyways? I'm going to miss her.

20. Planbee

I don't think it was her idea to leave. Before this season, Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence said that he planned to have a character die. Something about thinking it's unrealistic when shows go their entire run without having a cast member pass away on-screen. I don't know if I agree with that. It's a TV show--we don't need to get too "real life" with it.

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Wow, I thought last nights show was one of the worst episodes of Scrubs ever. This season has been a real let down. Isn't it supposed to be funny?

I remember when I used to watch Mad About You. It was a very clever show until they ran out of ideas and it seemed every episode had a reason for all the main characters to collect in the Buchman's apartment. I see the same thing happening with Scrubs. Every episode all the main characters collect in one location and then the sentimental emotions begin. They used to have unique story lines, great ideas, character conflicts but now it's turning into just another sitcom except with death and emotional pandering. Bah!

22. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Laverne's leaving????? She's the heart of the show!!! Jump the shark time! :eek:

23. Planbee

This season has been pretty good, though I'll agree that it's not as sharp as the first five years. It's hard to sustain the quality after a certain number of years. I'm in the middle about last night. Not great, not bad.

I'm with you on Mad About You. I stopped watching somewhere in the fifth season. The first three seasons were great (I really enjoyed the S3 DVD that FINALLY came out a couple months ago). S4 was good until the drama started at the end of the season with Paul and Jamie's almost-affairs. The show was never the same after that.

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

She left in a pretty permanent way.

She was brain dead the entire show and then died from her injuries.

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's about when it died. Then the baby came and that's pretty much a death nell for any show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.