Seeking advice on upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 51nocaster, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm hoping to get some advice from the well informed and hopefully opinionated folks on this forum. I'm Working on my system and hoping to upgrade one part to make the most improvement now. I listen to vinyl approx 80% of the time and cds less than 20%. I listen to about 60% classic rock, 25% jazz and 15% vocals (Sinatra). My current system consists of a Rega P3 w/ Clearaudio aurum beta cart; Project Tube box (w/5751s) phono stage through Marantz 2270 integrated receiver; commercial grade cd player; and Klipsch RB3 bookshelf speakers.
    The most obvious upgrade would be replacing the fairly new Klipsches as they are rear-ported and I am stuck with placing bookshelf speakers on bookshelves (floor standers not an option now). I would also consider replacing the amp with something tubed, but am fairly wed to the mono switches on my Marantz. Finally, I would consider buying a VPI 16.5 RCM as an "upgrade" as well if that would do the most for my experience. I currently use spin-clean.
    My Budget for each item would be as follows (but I'll only be purchasing ONE now):
    Integrated amp: $1500-2000
    Speakers: $1000
    RCM: $450
    Thanks in advance for your consideration and advice.

2. Ian

Ian Active Member

I'd check out the Paradigm Reference Studio 20's. They've just been redesigned as front ported so they should work pretty well. They sound great IMO.

I think JoLida makes a 100 watt tube integrated for about $1600.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You might want to consider "making the rounds" at places that deal with new and use equipment. You'd get better "bang for your buck" if you get a pair of speakers, for example, if they are a few years old.

Just a thought!

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Definitely get the VPI 16.5 RCM. You can probably find it at about that price from most of the web stores. Shop for the best deal (free shipping, etc.)

5. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to the above posters. Perhaps there is no obvious choice, but anyone else care to weigh in? Prix, others?

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

There are some inexpensive mods for your TT that should pay nice dividends for you.
    Platter and counter balance are the two easiest and will probably cost you less than two hundred bucks. You may want to re-wire your tone arm down the road too.

I'd also say get that record cleaning machine. The reason is simple; you can snag bargain LP's at a buck or two a pop. The bloody thing will pay for itself in no time.

Here's the best advice I can offer though: Enjoy what you have and upgrade when you can.
    However tempting: resist the temptation to do too much at once. Many upgrades and tweeks offer subtle changes that must be appreciated over time. Take that time and move things around and by all means don't feel too much pressure. This is supposed to be fun.

Enjoy!
    :righton:
    Cheers-
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.