Seeking recommendations for inexpensive streamer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

Recommendations, please, for an inexpensive DLNA stream receiver (renderer) with built-in DAC. This would be mated with a pair of Audioengine powered speakers.

As an example: the Auralic Aries Mini would be ideal if it were $200, not $500. ($200 is the limit, and less would be better. The system is for occasional use.)

We have a DLNA server set up and working fine now.

Thanks for your help!

2. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I suggest picking up a Raspberry Pi and a Hifiberry DAC+. You should be able to get both, plus a case, for well under $100.

There are a ton of pre-built OS+application bundles available for Pi (Volumio, piCorePlayer, etc). Installation is easy: you extract the software to a microSD card, plug it into the Pi, and you're basically ready to go. No Linux skills are required!

schizzzo, Bubbamike and Rolltide like this.
  3. Mike-48

Thanks, @mantis4tons . That is a really interesting idea. I suppose a keyboard and monitor might be needed for initial setup? I am considering the CannaKit. $29 for a computer -- amazing.

4. CarterSkye

CarterSkye Forum Resident

No keyboard or monitor needed for Raspberry set up! Just a PC/laptop. After that you can operate the Pi headless with laptop or tablet.

I used this guide from start to finish (I'm currently using Runeaudio as my OS) and it sounds great.

Raspberry PI Music Server From Start to Finish - Music Server Tips

I'm using Audioengine powered speakers with a Dragonfly Black DAC (not necessary but I already had one), and my music source is an old mains powered Seagate External HD. I am space challenged, so this set up was most welcome.

5. Mike-48

Hello @CarterSkye - Thanks for the info. It's helpful.

The setup you linked seems to focus on making the Pi a music server that runs MPD. I wonder if you (or anyone reading) can recommend similar instructions for making the Pi into a DLNA client.

CarterSkye likes this.
  6. mantis4tons

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

8. Mike-48

Thanks! It wasn't obvious from the main Web pages that it did.

mantis4tons likes this.
  9. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

You could get a used Logitech Squeezebox.

10. Mike-48

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I already have a couple of DLNA servers set up, I'd rather stick to products compatible with that, rather than go the Squeezebox route. I could add, for years I had a Squeezebox Duet. While I liked a lot about it, it was the most troubleprone piece of audio gear I've owned, in all my 50 years of audiophilia. I understand the other models were much better.

11. Mike-48

Hmmm.... the CanaKit was $29 on Wednesday, now (Saturday), it's $69.99. Anyone know, does it go on sale frequently?

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The MSRP for just a Raspberry Pi 3 is about $32. Don't expect a full kit to go on sale for that price often. Also, I'm not sure a kit is the way to go. If you want to go the built-in DAC route, you'll need a hifiberry case, which isn't going to be in any kit.

13. Mike-48

@Rolltide, thanks. I was wondering if the kit case would fit or not, so I guess not. I see the Pi kits generally have an USB micro-SD card reader. Is that for use with an external computer, or is it needed to run the Pi itself?

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That would just be so you can flash the card with your computer if it doesn't have a built in slot.

Mike-48 likes this.
  15. Mike-48

Here it is! 1/2 hour to assemble + 3 hours to figure out the best software to use. In total, about $100, and perfect for the application. Shown with Audioengine A5+. The combination of hardware was measured by Archimago on his blog and found to be quite impressive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mantis4tons

Awesome, @Mike-48! What software did you end up using?

17. Mike-48

Volumio. It's an audio-oriented OS that operates headless, and can be accessed through a Web browser. MPD and DLNA clients. I know nothing about RPi, but it was easy.

18. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I had some issues with volumio. It was making noises like it was fading in and out. I moved on to Rune Audio. Rune seems to have issues with Airplay. So now I'm thinking of moving to Moode Audio. Lots of choices.

19. Mike-48

Yes, @Bubbamike , I agree, various choices, each with its own good and bad points. I started with Rune and couldn't get it to work with (or even recognize) WiFi. Volumio is under more active development, and it worked very well for me, including automatically disabling the RPi3 internal WiFi in favor of the dongle (for better reception).

I have not tried Moode -- it seems to need more manual configuration -- not for me if I can get things working without. After >50 years of working with computers, I've got fiddle fatigue. Besides which, I've learned and forgotten vi (the *ix editor) too many times already for one lifetime.:)

20. Mike-48

There have been a few questions about constructing this, the hardware, software, etc. I put a basic description of my build on Google Drive here. If you try to access it, please let me know if it works and if it's helpful.

I should mention that HiFiBerry, besides DACs, makes an SPDIF output board for connection to an external DAC. Unfortunately, this is not yet supported by Volumio, though they claim support is upcoming. So for those who are looking for a streamer with digital out, I can't recommend software now. A friend is using DietPi for this, which seems a good choice if you don't mind connecting to the streamer with monitor and keyboard to install and configure the needed audio clients.

21. Mike-48

I'm hardly an expert, but I have seen people reporting all kinds of problems when using power supplies that didn't put out the full 2.5 A or the full 5.1V. I have no idea if that would apply to your case.

22. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

The USB output on the Pi is a digital out. I run mine to a PSAudio DAC. Oh and I saw your post on REG's forum as well. and I'm using a IFi power supply so I don't think that's the problem.

23. Mike-48

I wonder what's the advantage of the SPDIF boards that are sold -- better sound? or just for use when USB won't fit?

24. Solarophile

Solarophile Forum Resident

Mike-48 likes this.
  25. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I think convenience. An all in one package, like you built is very convenient if you don't have a separate DAC or don't want to run USB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.