Selena Gomez samples Talking Heads on new song “Bad Liar”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Monkees wrote some of their best songs and many were written for them by other great songwriters. It's the quality of the final product that matters.

Man at C&A and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Now this is interesting - I would dispute the idea that listening to Selena or watching her videos or admiring her beauty has anything to do with "pervy" - she's of legal age and she purposely is acting dancing and performing live and in her videos in an explicitly sexy way. Have you seen the Hands to Myself video - or the Bad Liar vid we're supposedly discussing? These former teen stars know sex sells and want to be "cutting edge" - Miley, Selena, Brittney, Christine Aguilera, Lindsey Lohan have all done it, and many others. Selena has a husky voice which some find attractive and others not so much. Personally I dig it.

Dudley Morris and Man at C&A like this.
  3. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I love her like a love song, baby.

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm not saying she's an amazing talent but she has been around for a good while. If it was just marketing she'd be long gone. Marketing helps but you still need something worth marketing to last this long. So I'd give her some credit in understanding the business or at least smart enough to find the right folks to keep pushing her along in it.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, she (or more accurately, her management) are very shrewd. I give them credit for that, for sure.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know that and I agree. The Monkees wrote some of their best songs themselves, but they didn't write many of their most famous ones.

starduster likes this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

This always amuses me. Two things about this quote:

1. It's always a dude saying it.
    2. It's always being said about a female singer.

Hm.

Chris DeVoe and Ninja Bomber like this.
  8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

If you say so. I can't say I hear the quote being bandied about in my life. For me a song is a song and I like it or I don't. The gender of the singer doesn't factor into it.

starduster likes this.
  9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Sure.

Ninja Bomber likes this.
  10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

:laugh: Yeah, those women need to get out of the music business and into the kitchen where they belong!

11. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

You were the one who brought it up. Your backpedaling is weak.

Why don't you tell us more about breast-implants and manly voices. It's really fascinating.

12. CrystalCore

CrystalCore Forum Resident

As long as they don't start doing Frank Zappa cover albums I think we'll be ok. :)

Murph likes this.
  13. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The song is decent, can't wait to see her destroy it live (because let's not kid ourselves, the girl can't sing) no amount of beauty and cinematography can distract from the fact that Selena Gomez has no discernable musical talent. And I'm one of the most vocal defenders of modern pop music here. I'd take Ariana Grande or Miley Cyrus (even though she annoys me too) over Alex Russo anyday.

Murph likes this.
  14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I'm not backing off anything. Maybe you missed me saying that Meghan Trainor is a real songwriter and very talented. Selena Gomez? Not so much. Of course the record companies are going to push the pretty pop tarts because they think that's what people want. For me, music is for your ears, not your eyes.

15. Ninja Bomber

Sure.

Now, about those breast implants and the manly voice? You where saying? Come on, grow a spine and tell us what you really think.

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Selena Gomez got breast implants. I find it sad that she would do that but that's showbiz for you. Maybe my thinking is wrong. Who am I to tell Selena Gomez what to do? I see it as succumbing to pressure and her thinking that she is not attractive enough, but I have no idea what goes on in her head.

17. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Like Adele, you mean ?

D.D.

Murph likes this.
  18. Except for when it's said about guys (look up Frey, Glenn) or said by women.

Purple likes this.
  19. Ninja Bomber

And how do you know this? Do you have access to her medical journals? Or do you simply not understand the changes that young women go through?

And even if she did get implants, what business is that of yours? And what does it have to do with the music she's involved in?

Even if some of your earliest posts in this thred were deleted, I (and probably many others) still remember them. Again; you're not doing a very good job of backpedaling here. You're like a deer caught in the headlights of a car.

20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I already told you what I think and obviously you don't like it. :laugh:

21. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

You're 100% wrong. Why would you even say such a thing? I worked on her last cover shoot (Vogue Magazine), and have worked with her several times previously.

22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

What business is it of mine? When you put yourself in the public eye then we are all entitled to our opinion. If you don't like it you can file your complaint with TMZ.

23. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

25. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

This is normally where the question " So was Sinatra an artist ?" would get tossed out but ... nah.

D.D.

Malina likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.