Selena Gomez samples Talking Heads on new song “Bad Liar”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

I'm sure you think you're all "edgy" and whatnot, but in reality you're just embarrasing yourself. How about you just bow out of this thread, and leave it to the adults who are actually interested in discussing the topic in question.

2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Edgy? :laugh: How about you bow out? But you cannot resist attacking me because you don't like my opinions. Give it a rest.

3. Ninja Bomber

4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Thanks doc! I hate to break it to you but Selena is not calling.

5. Ninja Bomber

I'm gonna give you the last word here (which you obviously need, for whatever reason), because if I keep this so-called argument going, you're just going to keep proving my point with every post you make.

Seems pretty pointless, so by all means, have at it. I have better things to do.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. Ninja Bomber

Keep digging that hole. We're done here.

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

...pretty sad that you got your "info" from Hollywood Life, the trashy gossip rag

theMess and Ninja Bomber like this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The bass line of "Bad Liar" is an actual sample of the bass line from "Psycho Killer." It's more than a resemblance it's the actual part from the record. You don't hear that?

theMess and Malina like this.
  9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

A picture is worth a thousand words.

10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I think that, personal tastes aside, you are really selling Janis Joplin short. Was she at times vocally erratic in live performance ? Certainly. Worst voice in the world ? Please. If she hadn't flamed out, she was well on her way to being mainstreamed on Pearl : slicker, more "traditional" back-up band, psychedelicized hippie weirdness being toned down, careful selection of material and a more considered vocal approach being implemented. I was recently reading an interview with one of her former bandmates from Big Brother and he noted that she was on her way to being transformed into the next Mae West, which he thought was a tragedy in that it was a grotesque magnification of a single, small facet of her tremendous complexity. I don't think he was off the mark. And I personally find her caterwauling quite bearable. Palatable, even... Makes my toes curl up like few artists do. For this I am grateful.

Anyway, I'm taking up space that would be otherwise used for bashing contemporary performers, so I'd best get out of the way... mob rule and all that. Carry on.

D.D.

seed_drill likes this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I thought it was an interpolation.

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think it's an actual sample

Synthfreek likes this.
  13. Ninja Bomber

Nah, it's all about dem implants. :laugh:

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I always thought she was terrible...but mostly my point was that I think she stands as a reasonable example of a kind of rockist double standard.

Man at C&A and Ninja Bomber like this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think Synth is correct....from what I've read it's an interpolation.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You thought Lemonade was a "weird album"? I thought it was a really old school kind of coherent, thematic album a la Here My Dear or something. It also really undersold her previous records. This song by Gomez doesn't strike me as "weird" either, but it is very different compared to most of what's on pop radio at the moment. It's also not performed all that well, so far I think it's peaked at #23. And I'm not sure Dead Petz was a bid to sell more records, almost kinda the opposite for Cyrus, more of an attempt to distance herself from her prior hits.

starduster and Diamond Dog like this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Hmm, interesting, well the matched the tone really well.

18. Ninja Bomber

I actually like her vocals, but I still get your point. It is indeed a double standard.

19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This thread started promising. I like the song. I don't give a flying ____ about deep voices or boob jobs however.

chervokas and Ninja Bomber like this.
  20. Ninja Bomber

Yeah, I was hoping we could stick to the music, but apparently not.

Trolls gonna troll, I guess.

21. Ninja Bomber

And on that note, maybe someone could post some more songs from this album? Then maybe we could get this thread back on track. I dunno, just a thought.

22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Who sampled says, "Interpolation (Replayed Sample) of Multiple Elements". That's a little confusing.

Selena Gomez's 'Bad Liar' - Discover the Sample Source

Talking Heads official FB says, "New Selena Gomez single samples Psycho Killer bassline." Chris Frantz ""So great to hear the legacy of our song Psycho Killer, and Tina’s legendary style of bass playing, quoted so prominently on Selena Gomez’ new song."

Talking Heads (official)

However, a source told Billboard.com that Selena's record label Interscope played Bad Liar for band frontman David, who is said to have been so blown away by the tune that he gave his permission for it to be released including the sample.

Selena Gomez given permission for Talking Heads sample on new single

theMess likes this.
  23. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

She does here.

D.D.

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think this was the first single from a forthcoming album.

25. Not so. This sort of put down has often been made about Mike Love on this forum.

Dudley Morris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.