Selena Gomez samples Talking Heads on new song “Bad Liar”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

it is that she's got enough money to do it??? so many artists can't use samples now! it hurts!

2. Was Miley Cyrus's Dead Petz ever sold as a record at all? It was initially released as a free download. It seems to me like a non-commercial artistic statement if there ever was such a thing.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I do now-I misread the article, thought it would be more sample-heavy.

4. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

It seems the broader point being made here, perhaps a bit abrasively, is that, for better or worse, we discriminate based on aesthetics or beauty, and it works both ways.

Recently, an economist found that "ugly" people are discriminated against to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of their lifetimes. Just think about who we chose to make friends with, vote for, associate with, marry... where we visit on holidays, shop... heck, what gas stations we frequent. Appearance matters. The relevance here is that women, not just possessing an inner beauty, also are externally attractive and the ones that are particularly attractive, have a selling point that others do not. One could also look at actress salaries and opportunities, by age.

Good luck to Gomez, and she seems like she's making the right decisions to be successful in a tough business. But is it any "worse" to value a work more based on sexual/youth appeal of the artist than to discern sexual/youth appeal is often (though not always) associated with sparse musical talent?

Murph likes this.
  5. The whole media world is like this. When you see a cook program featuring Julia Childs or Lidia Bastianich you can almost be certain that she's an excellent chef.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There are a slew of cook programs featuring good looking women who can't cook.

but there are also exceptions like Giada De Laurentiis

[​IMG]

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Rock fans are often masters of double standards.

7. obasaz

obasaz Forum Resident

Agreed. Selena Gomez is supposed to be obliterated by the media at this point. When Britney Spears was doing what Gomez was doing I seem to remember a strong amount negativity towards pretty much everything Britney was doing. And Gomez had significantly less charisma than Britney.

So why the hell is everybody on this site, and the media, in general soft on Selena Gomez? She's clearly one of the biggest stars today so why the lack of condemnation?

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I love this tune, having heard it initially on the `hit radio station' at work. And I have
    watched the video several times. But until I saw this thread just now never once did
    the Talking Heads pop into my dome.

drivingfrog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.