Senn 600 vs. Hifiman 400i

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mooserfan, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone directly compare? I have 600's but 400i's can be had online for $299...I don't have money to burn so I'd buy the 400i's if they are a clear step up. Can't audition the 400i's, unfortunately. Thanks for any insight.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What amp are you using?

That really depends on what amp you're using and how well that amp is suited for the HD600 or a planar like the HE400i.
    Whether the HE400i is a downgrade, sidegrade of a different flavor, or an upgrade will depend on the amp you're using.
    Also depends on the types of music you listen to. For example, if you were in to electronic music the HE400i might be better for you than the HD600.

Dino and Mooserfan like this.
  3. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listen to an Oppo 103 which currently is amplified by a Denon PMA 360 (headphone jack on the Denon). I'm hoping to upgrade to a better pre-amp/amp combo, or a higher end integrated so I can listen to multi-channel. Don't have a separate headphone amp.

4. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I'm in your same situation. I did go ahead and order the 400i's at $299 yesterday. When they arrive next week, I'll provide some feedback.

Mooserfan likes this.
  5. beep

beep Senior Member

Music direct gives you a 60 day return window, Audio advisor 30 days. Buyém and tryém. Remember they need 150 hours break in. I got my pair of 400i's today. I don't have the 600's but do have HD580's that are on their last legs. A quick listen to the unbroken in 400i's lets me know they sound close to the smooth sound of the Senn.'s that I loved. I think they may be keepers, especially at $299.

Mooserfan, Dino and billnunan like this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This gets into judgement calls and preference. Cause the HiFiMan headphone would be kinda a sidegrade. The advantage to the HiFiMan is that it would be easier to get a lively and engaging sound from the headphone sources you're using and may be using in the future. It takes a more dedicated headphone amp to get the HD600 to be similarly lively. So the choice is to spend about $300 on the HiFiMan headphone or to spend something like $250-$350 on a headphone amp like the Schiit Asgard 2 or Schiit Valhalla 2 to perk up the HD600. It's six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Mooserfan likes this.
  7. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

I had a similar decision with the recent sales and went with the HD 600 as I always had wanted to own that or the 650. But the 400i is pretty good. My decision though was probably made easier by already owning a planar magnetic headphone in the Oppo PM-2.

I think the HD 600 out of a receiver out is a perfectly OK starting point even though they will get much, much better on dedicated head amps. If the choice was a phone/portable then I would elect the 400i (actually probably the more efficient and quite fine 400s). But if you have some amplification the HD 600 will work and improve as you upgrade. But either is a fine choice. If bass was important I would probably go for the Hifiman and if resolution was more important the HD 600.

Bill Why Man and Mooserfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.