Sennheiser HD800S headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Recently got the new 800S version of these iconic headphones. I'll be the first to say that when the original 800's were released I didn't like them. I found their upper end piercing and that problem offset any benefit that the phones afforded. A couple weeks ago I got to hear the latest version and immediately now heard perhaps the finest conventional headphones.
    Personally I find these a game changer. The spacial performance is outstanding. While no headphone can render a soundstage like a well setup stereo these at least allow you to feel that there is separation between you and the music.
    All the harsh peaks found in the earlier generation are gone, replaced with a liquidly smooth top.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The "S" stands for smoother.
    I was able to hear a HD800S last weekend at a meet. It is an improvement over the old HD800. I'm in the midst of trying to convince myself to get an HD800S. I still consider the HD800S to have an upward tilt with more treble than what I think a neutral headphone should have. On the other hand, it is the finest conventional headphone available.

3. TommyTunes

Do it you won't regret it. I'm using them with an Astell&Kerns 380cu with the dedicated amp and it's an awesome portable system

4. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

yeah, hd800 without eq is just too bright

with sonarworks, hd800 are amazing.Ill be trying the superdupont mod which, like measurements show, gives the same smoothness of the 6khz of the 800S. exciting times!

5. Ham Sandwich

That would be an awesome portable setup. :thumbsup: :D

I'll very likely be buying an HD800S. Once I buy it I won't regret it. It's the pre-purchase critical analysis that is causing the jitters. Once I buy something those jitters and second-guessing stop. It is the best dynamic headphone available and I love the way it does soundstage and headstage. Nothing else does the soundstage and headstage like that.

6. Ham Sandwich

I've heard the HD800 with Sonarworks. Sonarworks works magic. Sonarworks along with some added sub-bass boost can make the HD800 bump and thump. And Sonarworks is able to tame the brightness.

I've been considering getting Sonarworks. One issue though is they won't have an HD800S profile for a while yet. And they likely never will have an profile for the HD800 with the superdupont mod. So you'd be left with trying to tweak a suitable profile yourself. I'll see. Sonarworks is really neat, but not something I'd want to use all the time with the HD800S. So I'd need to be able to be happy with the stock sound of the HD800S.

7. murphythecat

im pretty sure they will eventually offer the hd800S profile.

I personally use the sonarworks at 80/90% wet. Im waiting for my superdupont resonator, but im confident that ill still be able to use sonarworks + superdupont + hd800.

8. Hrodulf

Hrodulf New Member

Yup, I'm pretty sure that the HD800S will come in time.

As for the resonator - I see that it reduces the treble peak, so I'd be careful with using the stock curve. Best send it in to us for individual calibration. You might be able to get away with reducing wetness and increasing the bass boost. That way there'd be less treble peak compensation, but still enough low end boost.

9. TommyTunes

Ordered a Nordost Heimdall 2 cable for them today. After putting that cable on my Audeze LCD-X's I can't to hear how it transforms the 800s

10. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I have the original HD800s. I replaced the cable with a balanced xlr norne draug 2 cables and it completely removed that upper end brightness and harshness.

I wonder then if you will need to replace the stock Sennheiser cables if this has been fixed?

11. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Thinking about selling my HD650 for the new 800.

Should I keep my Cardas cable or use if with the 800?

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The price in Canada is $2199.99 + taxes = $2485 :thumbsdow:thumbsdow as intrigued as I might be by an HD800 that's a little smoother I can't justify the cost, maybe they'll drop in the future but I won't hold my breath.

13. Ham Sandwich

The HD650 uses a different cable plug at the ear cups than the HD800 and HD800S. You won't be able to use the HD650 Cardas cable with the HD800.

I would suggest keeping the HD650 if you get an HD800S. Even though the HD800S and HD800 are better headphones you'll likely find that you still want to use the HD650 with some recordings and for some listening situations.

14. Ham Sandwich

I bought Sonarworks last night. And since I was in a plugin buying mood I also bought Waves NX crossfeed and the DDMF Metaplugin so I can run Waves NX in JRiver Media Center. I'm preparing myself for an eventual HD800S. For now though I'll be playing with the plugin toys using my HD600, HD650, and LCD-2 (non-fazor).

15. murphythecat

very cool
    I must say that for hd650, I prefer the sound without sonarworks as i find the benefits are not enough and the drawback more present. the hd650 are very flat stock.
    the hd800 stock is unbearably for me, clinical and cold, so sonarworks drawback are really nothing compared to how much it corrects for the hd800.

just yesterday, a guy at head fi contacted me about sonarworks and once he tried it with his hd800 sent me a long thank you messsage saying how much sonarworks transformed his hd800 that was collecting dust!

16. TommyTunes

Please explain (dumb it down) what Sonarworks is?

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I find that's very rarely the case, whenever I do a head to head comparison with the HD800 it's very rare that I'll say the 650's handle this material better.

18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've had the HD800's for about four years and have really enjoyed them.

Having just upgraded to the HD800S I must say they are quite a bit better (IMHO).

These headphones are a revelation. If I had to choose between these and my Quads, I'd pick these.

They really are a 'final' headphone.

I'm using a big (for a headphone amp - 15wpc) tube amp on them - a Sound Quest SQ-84 V2. The combination is absolutely stunning.

19. Ham Sandwich

Sonarworks is a plugin that does a calibration correction for headphones. Calibrates the headphones to sound neutral or flat. Sort of a custom EQ for the headphones. It runs as a plugin for Windows or Mac. You need to use a media player that supports the type of plugin that Sonarworks uses.

As a computer plugin it also means that it won't be useful for fixing the headphones when listening to an analog source like vinyl. Also won't be useful when listening on a portable like the A&K. It will only be useful when listening using a computer as source.

Here's a youtube video that describes the basics of what it is and what it does:

Dino likes this.
  20. TommyTunes

Thanks Mr. sandwich

21. Ham Sandwich

It's all relative. The HD800S is technically better and will let you hear more than the HD600 or HD650. You'll hear more of everything. More detail, more soundstage. However, there are rare times that I would pick the HD600 or HD650 for certain music or moods. And there are some listening situations where the HD600 or HD650 would be more suitable. For example, when listening in bed. I wouldn't use the HD800 in bed where I will likely fall asleep with them on. Too much risk of damaging the headphones if I fall asleep with them on. Also for portable or transportable use. I'm willing pack up my HD600 or HD650 to take on trips or even for portable use. It's more risky to do that with the HD800.

Dino and Deuce66 like this.
  22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If you had to choose (setting aside the HD 800 for the moment), HD 650 or 600? I'd also be curious to see your impressions re: HD 600 and your new plugins.

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I'm curious why no one here seems to be using tube headphone amps with the 800 or /S.
    Have people tried it and not liked it or never trued it?

24. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I watched the video but I still don't get what Sonarworks are doing. Yes, I understand that they're EQing your headphones for you, and yes, I understand how they're doing it, but what I completely don't understand is what their target EQ is. Are they trying to give your headphones a completely flat frequency response? Heaven forbid - it would be unlistenable!

25. Ham Sandwich

I'd probably go with the HD600 over the HD650. But there's a number of variables involved that can get you to choose one over the other.

My HD600 is about 15 years old now. It has the older version of the driver. I got the HD650 late last year. I wanted to try the new driver. And since I already had an HD600, why not try the HD650? I bought it during a Black Friday sale. Price was good. So my reasons for getting the HD650 was because I wanted to try the new driver, the price was good, and I wanted to dry something different than the HD600. Next Black Friday I'll probably be looking for a good deal on the HD600 so I can have an HD600 with the new driver.

Part of me wants to mod the HD650 to give it more treble and clarity. The mod involves cutting a hold in the foam that covers the driver, and removing a couple small foam discs that are over the center of the driver. But doing that would mean I wouldn't be able to use the HD650 compensation setting in Sonarworks. So I've been resisting doing the mod. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing. May mod them, may not. I've got the HD600 and could use those with Sonarworks instead of the HD650.

As a headphone fan the HD600 and/or HD650 are something that you have to have in your collection. There are some tube amps, and a few solid state amps, that sound wonderful with the Senn headphones. You've got to have a Senn when trying an amp that pairs so well with the Senns. The HD800 is also in that category. It's a headphone that a serious headphone fan almost has to have (for better or worse).

kBear and Dino like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.