Sennheiser Momentum Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody heard these yet? At $350 a pop, they're pricey, but reportedly sound as great as they look.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't much like the looks of those.

I'm generally a fan of Sennheiser headphones, having owned and enjoyed a few models. I still use my 580s a lot.

I do prefer my Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 earbuds to the two Sennheiser earbuds I've tried, though, precisely because the Sennheisers both seemed to have a bass boost.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Lefsetz LOVES 'em. :D

5. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I have a pair that I got for Christmas. I love them. They work perfectly for my office listening set up. iPhone 5, FLAC files, NuForce iDo, Sennheiser Momentum headphones. They are well powered by just the iPhone as well. I love the sound of these headphones. I also have the HD700's and they are a step up for sure. But these are very satisfying.

6. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I have posted about them in other threads as well.

7. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

The bass boost is there, but it's not overdone. I think it fills the bottom end out of the headphone. It's natural sounding. Perhaps not as refined as the HD700 or HD800, but it's great for what I need. I listen probably 5-8 hrs day

Metralla likes this.
  8. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

Stone Turntable and Jazz Nut like this.
  9. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

I don't have much experience with that model. Only heard it at my local Apple store which is almost meaningless.

10. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

11. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to all who commented. I think I'll wait until the price goes down from list when they are no longer the buzz.

12. HiFiGuy528

I'm on the same boat.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Did you choose that model for the acoustic isolation they offer. I have some HD 495 'phones at work but they are the Sennheiser open-back design. I am looking for stronger isolation from my pod-mates.

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Or they could get the HD800 treatment and get a price increase after the introduction and great reviews. :realmad:

More likely though is that the price will vary like the HD600 and HD650, with occasional random sales on Amazon where the price briefly goes down for an unknown length of time.

15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

HA! I hooked him up with Jason @ Schiit for some headphone amp demos.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I heard it at Best Buy and thought it sounded pretty darn good. The brown ones are gorgeous.

17. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I chose them for the combination of sound isolation (They are not noise-cancelling though) and sound quality. I can listen as loud as I can handle without bugging my co-workers. These are MUCH quieter than open back Sennheisers. I would be confident in telling you that these will provide strong sound isolation.

18. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I've got the brown leather ones. The leather is absolute top notch. It's from Pittards of London. The whole package, from the case, to the fit, to the finishing materials to the sound are great.

19. HiFiGuy528

Have you auditioned the Sony 1R? It's now on sale for $199.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thank you.

21. art

art Senior Member

They're ok. About what's you expect in that price range.

22. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I have the Momentums and like them very much. I'd suggest a somewhat extended audition before you buy them, as the fit it a bit unique (somewhere between on-ear and over-ear) and may impact longer listening sessions. They work for me, but not for others I've spoken with.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I auditioned these a week ago, and they're pretty decent. I've used and preferred Sennheiser phones all my life, beginning with their original HD414, so I'm considering buying these for use with my iPad. They are designed to work well with portable devices and their anemic amplifiers, and accordingly have considerably lower impedance (20-30 ohms) than the typical audiophile home-rig models. They aren't as balanced and refined as component-gear hi-end headphones, but they aren't as goosed in the bass as some of the most popular models that people are using these days.

My only reservation might be potential lack of comfort, since I have kinda big ears. The HD800s I have are perfect in that regard, but these sit on top of my ears - they don't surround them. Long term it might get fatiguing, but for sporadic shorter usage with a portable, they may be fine. I hope so, anyway.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

For only slightly more than the Momentums you might want to look at the PSB M4U 2s. I really like them. They offer optional noise cancellation and an optional built in amp, so they work well with portable units. They are big, though.

25. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Well, it's be pretty crap if all headphones were designed to be flat in terms of playback EQ. Gotta have choice - some prefer bass boosts, some prefer mid boosts and some prefer high boosts. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.