Sennheiser Momentum Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can't dispute that -- in business, you gotta give people what they wanna buy.

But from an audiophile standpoint, I cringe when products are designed deliberately to be inaccurate, which just seems wrong to me. I have no problem with tone controls in the playback device, but if the speakers or headphones always have a bass boost at +6dB @ 100Hz, that's just wrong.

rbp and jeffrey walsh like this.
  2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

These aren't any good (to me). I auditioned them and found them to be very aggressive and had more bass than necessary (or what I liked). I could see myself getting a headache with them pretty easily with extended listening.

3. jelkinsmith

jelkinsmith New Member

Hello,
    Sennheiser Momentum is really the one of the best headphone that can give you a amazing sound and take you to a new world.
    I myself is enjoying with my new sennheiser momentum.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Was in the apple store and picked up sets for my son and I, kind of an impulse buy. Thought they sounded very good for a closed back design. It'll be nice to have isolation when I'm on a plane.

5. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

I've had the momentums for a year, and they're now irreplaceable. If anything happened to them, I'd purchase again. As far as frequency response They have a slight bass boost, Which makes them sound great. The bass doesn't bleed into the mids, and goes plenty low. The mids are probably the best rendered I've ever heard; I prefer them to my 650's overall. These are superbly engineered headphones, period.

6. Russell Weston

Gotta agree here. I also agree with Tyll from Innerfidelity that a bass emphasis of a few db is desirable since bass in real life has nasal and bone inductive qualities, i.e. you feel part of it. I have no problem with desired flat response, but a slight bass emphasis, for me, is closer to how bass is really presented when listened through speakers.

7. Russell Weston

I hate the 100hz boost, I prefer any emphasis to be closer to 30-40hz

8. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Love mine (Over the ears model).

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I must be crazy. I just want the headphones to be reasonably flat, without any emphasis at all. If I want a boost, I'll dial it in myself.

jeffrey walsh and Linto like this.
  10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree Vidiot. At that price point I would want them to at least be trying for neutral. If my personal taste (or lack there of) desires something else, I can season them to taste.

11. Russell Weston

I think I'm just one of those guys that thinks neutral is great for monitoring, not so much for listening pleasure. If you haven't heard them, give 'em a try. The momentums sound extremely natural to my ears. More so than a lot of Beyers or AKG's.

12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Dare I ask how to do Flac files on an IPhone?? I would like to do this ...

Oh sorry to derail. I have heard the B&W P 7's are better but they are 400... I'm kinda deciding tween these two..

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was considering a pair and I was reading reviews at head-fi and someone compared the sound as reminescent of the Sennheiser HD 25-SP-II. That immediately killed them from consideration for me. The HD 25-SP-II is the worst-sounding Sennheiser I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing. I couldn't sell mine off fast enough. Boxy, colored, lack detail -- they were an insult to the better phones of Sennheiser line. Even the lowly PX-100 beat them by a mile in sound quality. If the Momentum shares any characteristics with the 25-SP II, I want nothing to do with them.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That works up to around 8K then measurement becomes difficult for headphones.

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I bought a pair but only kept them a few days. I ended up with the HD 600. I thought it would be better to drive the Momentum from the AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC I was using and although I loved the looks the fit was not good for me and I definitely prefer the sound of the HD 600.

16. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Listened to these at a recent audio show in Melbourne. I did not like them at all. The bass end is exaggerated way too much for me. Same with the HD 650 model.
    I prefer my audio equipment to be neutral sounding.

17. Russell Weston

The HD 25-SP-II is a brighter can with more thumping bass. The momentum is extremely balanced with not a hint of sibilance. The mids are exquisite with no "boxiness to speak of. They're great.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But I don't want a bass-boost, either.

Though I gotta say, the EQ presets within iTunes are terrible. I would much rather have some kind of primitive graphic EQ available within the program so I can bump certain parameters up or down a dB or two as I see fit, rather than taking Apple's gross boost-or-cut settings. None of them is quite what I want.

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

There's an app available called FLAC Player, by Dan Leehr. Works great on my iPad; also plays on iPhone according to the description in the App Store.

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just curious - are you saying you made the decision based on one comment at head-fi? That's the conclusion I draw from a literal reading of your post. How many people at head-fi weighed in on the Momentums? Was there general agreement on this point?

I do not own either phone, so cannot agree or disagree.

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just my two cents, while I much prefer open back headphones, the Momentum is the least uncolored, non-bass boosted closed headphone I've heard for a very reasonable price. Are they the last word in resolution, no, but they are light weight and for me comfortable.
    If I'm at home in my music room and I want to listen via phones I'll choose my Stax, Audeze, or even Grado's but if it's a noisy environment the Momentum's will do rather nicely.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

One day I shall try a pair! Thanks. I think they're very cool looking and I need a closed phone.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I read Tyll Hendersons piece and I was impressed. Then i read around at headfi and got a so-so impression so i passed. The reference to the 25s by one reviewer whose stuff I know was the final straw. I also see them very frequently for sale used at Headfi, which is an indicator of sorts. but given the good response here, I now think they are worth auditioning.

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I used the PX-100s briefly and found them sorely lacking. The Momentums are stellar by comparison. Keep in mind that they are purposefully designed for high efficiency and have low impedance so they can be driven well by portable devices such as iPhone or iPad. They are best for that purpose, and quite good, IMO. If you want an ultimate audio experience with headphones at home on a system, though, I would look elsewhere.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you really want to hear lousy senns, try the HD-25s..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.