Sennheiser PX100/200...Anyone own these??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bobo U2, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

Thinking of buying one of these for my notebook.
    Just wondering if anybody here might own them and give me their opinions.
    Or any other folding/travel headphones 60 bucks or less...
    Thanks... :)

2. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Picked up a pair of PX100's last week. Very natural sound and very comfortable. Highly recommended.

Only caveat. Be prepared to spend a few minutes learning how to fold the headphones into the case.

3. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

I have a 7+ hour flight so I have the time... :p
    Thanks for the reply

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I have the PX100s and love them. I've had them for about 8 months now and they're fabulous. By far the best sounding headphones of that size that I've heard.

You mentioned you'll be on a plane; in that case, you might want to look at the PX200s as well. They are "closed" in that they seal off your ear from ambient noise. However, they are supposedly tough to put on correctly to get a good seal for some, though I haven't tried them.

5. jpr703

jpr703 New Member

I have the 100s and bought the 200s for a friend. Both are very good sounding portable headphones. Sound quality for the 100s is slightly better but the 200s provide some isolation if you're listening in noisy environments. The size and shape of your ears will determine how much isolation the 200s provide. They're kind of small so they either fit well or they don't.

6. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I have the PX200's but I don't use them very often.

The sound is good (maybe a bit too bass-heavy depending on the position on the ears) but they tend to press too hard on the ears after prolonged listening (more than 2 hours).

7. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Got a pair of PX200's.

They are more like the sound of the old Sennheisers from the 80's/early 90's, which I prefer.

But as they sit on the ear, you have to position them carefully to get a decent bass response.

Good for the price, though!

8. I too have a set of PX100's. Very comfortable, great sound.

But on a plane, you need something that seals better. To overcome the noise, I found that I had to crank the iPod to the point where things just sounded bad.

As such, I think you really want to either get some noise cancelers, or some of those in-ear cans that seal your ear canal.

I personally can't deal with any sort of in-ear solution. For my wife, I bought a set of Senn PX250's which I have seen for as little as $99. They are in essence a set of PX200's with an active noise canceling device.

Brian

9. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I love my PX100s. They blow away my $100 Sony MDR-V600s. I was really surprised how nice they sounded. Very comfortable too.

10. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Glad to hear the good reviews. I'm expecting a set for father's day :shh:

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have both the PX100 and PX200. I use the PX200 for my daily commute on a speeding commuter train and they're quite good at sealing out outside sound once the music is on. However, as mentioned before, in order for them to sound any good, your ears must form a seal with the headphones. Once the PX200 forms a good seal with your ears, they're excellent sounding portable headphones.

The PX100 will go lower in bass response than the PX200. However, they will do nothing in terms of isolation.

BTW, these headphones need to be burned in....at least 50 hours.

12. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Just got back from picking up my car across town and listened to John Prine's new cd on my Panny portable/Sennheiser 100's. Sounded sweet. Didn't mind the ambient noise on the bus and subway but maybe a long plane ride would be different.

Nice to hear they'll sound even better when broken in. :righton:

13. viator122

viator122 New Member

I have the PX200s and I agree with the comments so far. If you do lots of plane travel, you should also look at something from the Shure and Etymotic lines. I believe you can get a pair of Shure e2c canal phones for about $65 if you look around online.

14. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

If you want to annoy fellow travellers with sound leakage get the 100's, if you want to be more considerate get the 200's, it will take time to get them to 'sit' properly though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.