SENSE8: New Wackowskis show on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Just watched SENSE8 on Netflix. This is by far the most original, bizarre TV show I've seen this year. Scratch that -- the most original, bizarre TV show I've seen in *10* years. Absolutely stunning-looking show, shot by the great John Toll (and color-timed by Tony Dustin at Technicolor/Hollywood), the story of how 8 different people all around the world are somehow psychically connected through a series of events.

[​IMG]

It's got the feel of the Wachowski's CLOUD ATLAS (and the ad above is very MATRIX-like), but it's much more accessible and emotional. And this is a very, very ambitious production: I've never seen a mere TV show shoot in 9 different cities around the world and not just try to simulate them in a place like LA or NY. Beautiful show. Can't wait to see more.

http://www.eonline.com/news/663744/...ou-binge-watch-this-dark-and-risky-new-series

SMcFarlane and benjaminhuf like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

3. Vidiot

You know, I misspelled Wachowskis on the title, but I like Wackowskis better. They are wacky.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Just watched. I don't know if I have the confidence in the writers to stick with it. Seems to be so much time burned establishing the various vectors of connection.

5. Vidiot

I gotta say, the show takes a while to get going, but I liked the performances and I liked the visuals very much. I've only seen one episode so I can't say how good/bad/ugly it's going to get, but I thought it was a very original and surprising idea -- particularly the idea of shooting in Mexico, San Francisco, Chicago, London, Korea, India, Germany, Africa, and Iceland. I've never seen different locations depicted so well, particularly in a TV series.

6. Are they in purgatory ? I'll keep trying it but hated the first episode. I can't stand the Ws anymore. Bound and Matrix 1 were great but Everything else terrible.

Go watch Hannibal that's perfect television.

enro99 likes this.
  7. The lesbian couple's open lift apartment in SF. At least 8k per month now. What to they do for a living ?

And where is Neil Young ?

jupiterboy likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Too downbeat and depressing to me. I did watch the first season and I think there's some good acting and production there.

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Same boat. Very ambitious. I had the sense that it is moving slower than real time, and wonder if they will be able to advance the plot while keeping all the characters involved in the actions/perceptions of every other character. Feels encumbered. But hey, DMT and slimy dildos FTW.

10. Three episodes in. This might have worked as a two hour film. Maybe have to indulge with seattles finest smoke to get through this

A for concept. D for coherent execution.

jupiterboy likes this.
  11. Tonights song by 4 Non Blondes was brought to you by Platex for the CW

12. Vidiot

That seems to be the general opinion of critics:

‘8’ Is Enough: The Wachowskis’ New Netflix Drama Is Gloriously, Terribly Insane
    http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...-netflix-drama-is-gloriously-terribly-insane/

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Werner Berghofer and Solaris like this.
  14. Vidiot

The critic is being much too harsh. I'm really enjoying it, about 3 episodes in. Very entertaining, absolutely bizarre, and unlike anything else on television. I like the fact that it looks brilliant, the performances are great, and the story is absolutely unpredictable. I can't say that about 97% of most TV series on television.

GullGutt and Mazzy like this.
  15. I get what you are saying but it's a bit like I'm trying to force myself to really like this because the my spent all this time and money creating the same scenes in several different countries.

I think a 2-3 hour film might have covered it. Im four in and will finish it out.

16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I watched the first episode and, unfortunately, I agree with that critic. Marc, you and I have the same taste a lot of the time, but this one I just can't get into.

I might give the second episode a try. I will say that it looks very good, but I found many of the performances/situations forced. The scene with the female DJ and the guys afterward gushing about her was absolutely painful to me. I keep thinking of Hemlock Grove, the first season of which was gloriously awful in an entertaining way, because it knew it was silly. I don't think the Wachowskis have much of a sense of humor.

17. I'm four in and i still don't have a clue what's it all about or WTF is going on. Cool concept...maybe but in the end FAIL!

18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I lasted six minutes, but I'll try again. I don't rate unpredictability high in my desires for television, as much as character and coherent story. But, again, only six minutes.

19. Vidiot

Hey, it's better than The Brady Bunch. I don't dispute that Sense8 is a challenging, ambitious, bizarre show, but I think it's fun and actually does make sense and is coherent. It's just a very twisty, winding road to get there.

That I can't argue with. I think the show in general would be better if they'd stop being so heavy-handed with everything. But the core concept of the show is good, and I liked the whole thing about the African man who had to fight the bad guys to get back his mother's money for AIDS medication, the German guy who broke into the safe, and so on. I like how the pieces of the puzzle are fitting together... but I don't dispute it's a bizarre, strange, non-intuitive show.

20. I consider myself fairly educated and hip to world cinema but the experience of this show is as if a fan if a Cheech and Chong fan sat through Cries and Whispers

Tree of Life likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Add a laugh track and some fart jokes and I'm there.

showtaper and Mazzy like this.
  22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I got to the Magnolia moment. That was funny.

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'll leave this one to mature and see if it follows a set arc or just runs on and on till it runs out of steam.

Or it just gets cancelled after one season.

24. Even the multi dimensional sex scene could have been.... Sexier.

25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I just started watching Orphan Black, which hooked me in the first ten minutes of episode 1. I feel like this is what Sense8 is trying to do but is missing the mark. I know which show I'll be giving my time to, though. Four episodes into Orphan Black and I have to keep myself from a binge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.